Switch from PYB to PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I have a 2006 Accord w 79000 miles. I have always used PYB since 20000, with 4000 - 4500 oci. I wish now that I'd used synthetic, would I see any benefit to switching to Penn Platinum now, or should I just continue with YB. I plan on driving this thing till the wheels fall off. Also if I stay w conv., should I switch to High Mileage oil? thanks

Definite no on the high mileage oil. Stay with PYB or switch to PP. Both are fantastic oils, and will serve your engine well. The main advantage to PP is that you can easily do 7500 mile OCI.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Definite no on the high mileage oil. Stay with PYB or switch to PP. Both are fantastic oils, and will serve your engine well. The main advantage to PP is that you can easily do 7500 mile OCI.

+1

Originally Posted By: Nick R

+1.....and another advantage better cold starts.

PP or PU would both be great (w/7500 +/- OCI)... and a Purolator PureOne Filter.

The divide is getting closer, PYB is what I would stick with. If you want to do a PP or PU change every once and a while (especially PUltra for its cleaning abilities) then go for it. I think after all the reading and research I've done I may switch back my cars to PYB or QS Enhanced. Most Conventionals, especially the majors, are of higher quality then they used to be. That is Fact.

Last edited:
I would stick with PYB and go to 5k changes or go by the oil life %. What are you looking for by switching to synthetic?

I'd stick with PYB rather than synthetic. The quality of the Dino oils today, as mentioned on this board, are fantastic. I'm swithching back to conventional oil on my next OCI. I bought a boatload of Formula Shell and PYB on sale recently at Walgreen's during their sale and plan on using those oils for quite some time.

You shouldn't feel bad you didn't run synthetic from the start. PYB for 4k to 5k miles since the beginning? I bet it's crystal clean in there. I say stick with your current plan.

I'd say it comes down to whether you want to continue the 4-4.5K mile oil change intervals, or begin extending them.

Are you experiencing any recent oil burning issues or other problem?

If not, and you intend to keep the same OCIs, stay with PYB -- it has served you well in this capacity and the evidence points to it being an excellent conventional.

Want to run longer OCIs? Switch to PP or PU (for as long as it's still available, anyway), and consider a couple used oil analyses to determine what mileage these oils and your engine work well to.

Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
Add one qt. of PP to 4 qts. of YB when changing and drain at 5kmi.intervals
I'm curious: at a lower-end interval like 5K miles, why add the quart of PP?

PYB at 5K intervals will get you 300K out of a Honda 4 cylinder. I'd be more concerned about the A/T lasting as long as the engine. You don't need the seal conditioners and slightly higher viscosity in the HM version at 79K (if ever). The only reason to switch to PP or PU is if you want to extend OCI's, otherwise the PYB is an excellent choice.
I also agree that the differences between today's top dino's (like PYB) and today's syns are not as great as they used to be.

I think GF5 PYB has more moly? If yes, good times in dino oil land.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: mongo161
I'd stick with PYB rather than synthetic. The quality of the Dino oils today, as mentioned on this board, are fantastic. I'm swithching back to conventional oil on my next OCI. I bought a boatload of Formula Shell and PYB on sale recently at Walgreen's during their sale and plan on using those oils for quite some time.

Good Plan!!
thumbsup2.gif

79k on a Honda product and you're asking about HM oil? This belongs in the humor section!

All good advice here. PP and PYB are great oils. Choose either one you'd like or switch back and forth. No harm done.

PYB is great. For longer oil change intervals, go with it's full synthetic cousin [PP].

BTW, I see nothing wrong with high mileage oils. No reason to strongly be against their use.

Originally Posted By: shrooms
I think GF5 PYB has more moly? If yes, good times in dino oil land.
banana2.gif

Does SN PYB have moly? Id take PP everytime over PYB for a shot of moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back