Swaybar bushings

why would it? It's softer than the edpm from the bushes, unlike the metal in anti seize

from the wiki page: h-BN can be included in ceramics, alloys, resins, plastics, rubbers, and other materials, giving them self-lubricating properties.

Are you referring to the dull, dried-out rubber type noise that happens over road dips?
Not sure if I would call it rubber but I suppose that applies, as it's not metallic.

hexagonal boron nitride mixed in grease
Thanks. Err, I hadn't even thought about this detail, was going to just slap them in, without a thought. Now I'm wondering if I need to apply anything.

Not sure if I would call it rubber but I suppose that applies, as it's not metallic.

Thanks. Err, I hadn't even thought about this detail, was going to just slap them in, without a thought. Now I'm wondering if I need to apply anything.
not if you don't have it. not worth the cost unless you have issues.

I have 0 experience with toyotas though, unlike Automechanic, so follow his advice

It is probably your control arm bushings. Soak both bushings (rear and inner) with silicone spray, and you will probably find the noise goes away.

I'm looking at what I could get from Autozone--any recommendations? Would regular old white lithium grease work?

Heck, the rest of the I try to lube up with Fluid Film on a regular basis...

It is probably your control arm bushings. Soak both bushings (rear and inner) with silicone spray, and you will probably find the noise goes away.
I'll try that after the bushing swap. Am hoping not to deal with those, might have to flip that job to a shop if that is the case. But if it is, might just ignore, car is getting old and needy, no wonder the wife is car shopping.

I'm looking at what I could get from Autozone--any recommendations? Would regular old white lithium grease work?

Heck, the rest of the I try to lube up with Fluid Film on a regular basis...

I'll try that after the bushing swap. Am hoping not to deal with those, might have to flip that job to a shop if that is the case. But if it is, might just ignore, car is getting old and needy, no wonder the wife is car shopping.
The stiffer bushings may reduce the noise temporarily until the bushings wear-in and get softer. The noise is a result of suspension travel and the control arm bushings are dried out, so they make noise when moved.

The stiffer bushings may reduce the noise temporarily until the bushings wear-in and get softer. The noise is a result of suspension travel and the control arm bushings are dried out, so they make noise when moved.
Well, we'll see how it goes. Wife has a high tolerance for imperfect things (she married me after all) and maybe it won't make (much) noise. Or maybe it'll be time for yet more parts. Car isn't young anymore.

Still waiting for the bushings to come (darn Fedex!).

I haven't driven this car on the highway in a year, but got the chance this past weekend, and it feels... loose. My wife was like, yeah it's been like that for a while. It's possible that she isn't expecting much of an old Camry (nor me), but I thought it wasn't all that good. I'm guessing it's been knocked out of alignment, she did some census work and drove on many questionable roads, plus this time of year even the pavement looks like single track.

BUT might as well ask: no chance bushings will fix this, right? Alignment or a number of rubber parts are most likely the issue here.

I didn't look too closely this fall but I recall looking at one of the LCA bushings and it did look ok. I know my Camry took to wandering really bad when those were going. Once I get the bushings I plan to try to look it over--but it just passed inspection, and the shop does check these things out (found a bad tie rod in a different vehicle, and lo&behold, that vehicle wanders less now).

Swapped in the bushings, noise gone.

Not sure but the bars look like they got worn as a result. Weird. [I put an index card behind it to take the photo.]
camry_swaybar.PNG

camry_swaybar2.PNG

Swapped in the bushings, noise gone.

Not sure but the bars look like they got worn as a result. Weird. [I put an index card behind it to take the photo.]
View attachment 47036
View attachment 47037

On my 99 Avalon, the rear sway bar was worn so thin that brand new OEM bushings would not eliminate the clunk. I wrapped with Teflon tape just hoping for a temporary fix while I considered my options. I sold it two years later and the rear sway bar bushings were still quiet as a church mouse.

Yeah, should have looked when I first heard the noise. On the flipside, I'm not getting another 10 years out of this vehicle, and it's like $20 and an hour to swap bushings in the future when they go again. If that much.

Car is much quieter now, now we can hear the other things making noise... actually there isn't that much, but I'm sure that other things are worn.

Back