Survival pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, some recent events round here made me think of a survival pack - something in a box at home that you can store for when you need it. Lots of highways are cut off here. I don't see it ever getting this bad but it is worth being prepared!

i made this quick list just now - any ideas? Obviously if we needed to get moving I'd make it so I can get it into the car, or if the car is FUBAR, make it mobile on a trolley or something.

This will have to be for 5 people including 3 young kids

Fuel 20 L
Footpump
Spare
Knife/Tool
Torch 3
Matches Big Pack
Candles 20
Lamp 2 plus oil
Batteries 2 sets per torch
Lighter 2
Can Opener
Rope
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner 35 Cans
Purifier Tabs
Water 20 L
Water Pot
Gas Stove
Gas Can 3
Milk 10x 500mL UHT
AM Radio
GPS With Waypoints
Map NSW, QLD
Backpack
Ammo 500
Rifle
Small Tent Pegs
Compass With Ruler
Plastic Bag
Panadol Kids and Adult
Merchurochrome
First Aid Kit
Mech Watch

Last edited:
Check May Sporting Shooter's magazine...there's the combo that I wanted but was "never coming to the country"...H and R .22/410 combo...got a Rossi .22/12ga instead...shouldn't really "need" a firearm, but I'd have one just because.

I thought AM radio is supposed to be on the way out...would still be useful now 'though.

GPS, I'd do without...how to recharge anyway. Panadol doesn't get used, I'd drop it too.

Add SAS handbook, fishing line, needles, fishing hooks, mirrors, antiseptic powder, "leftover" antibiotics, salt, ziplock bags, slices of innertube, decent knives, kuhkri (only because I've got one), rope (you listed it, but good ones at Bunnings for $9.99 at present), picture frame wire, and bandages sufficient to properly wrap a couple of snake bites.

edit...read Ragnaar Benson's books whenever you can find them, now.

reason for AM was the long reach broadcasts mostly. FM no good beyond 100 km depending on power of transmitter. Digital radio... well i don't know...

GPS - can turf it - compass and map will do.

Gotta add an envelope of cash...

The ammo and rifle is a bit wishful thinking right now...

Most of it will be in a kit.. but obvious things may be scattered around (e.g. fuel... rifle... (in safe...))

I might store more drinking water than 20L, I assume you have tankless hotwater heater so you can't rely on a 80-200L hotwater tank being full and fresh all the time.
I guess right now you'd have no shortage, just leave a pail outside for a few minutes...

Does AM radio = shortwave in Australia? If not, you might consider something that tunes shortwave. Digital is nice for knowing exact frequency tuned(in SW), but analog offers longer battery life. I have several small analog SW radios from Sangean, Sony, Radio Shack(mfg by Sangean), and an Aiwa- all offer *many* hours of operation on either 2 or 3 AA alkaline batteries.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
decent knives

I thought knives were verboten?
LOL.gif

mori,
that's what makes it more fun.

Stuart Hughes, most "AM" radios are just that...out of a dozen items reviewed a few weeks ago, only one had an SW position.

What we call shortwave is the range from 3-30mhz. What we call am in the us is known as medium wave, 530-1710khz.

Long wave is well below 530 kHz.

72hr emergency supplies/ camping gear

Energy:
Coast Guard Style (coconut food brick) 18 bars
1 camel-back full of water plus 2 (empty canteens)
1 jar Jiffy Peanut Butter
1 Can Spam
1 metal cup
1 metal spork

Environment:
1 8x8 tarp
50 feet 550 para cord
4 bic lighters
1 zip lock bag of cotton balls (fire starter)
1 poncho with 1 poncho liner
1 pair of good boots
1 change of clothes (including socks)

Injury:
1 first aid kit

Utility:
1 folding knife
1 pack of gum
$200 (small bills)
1 cell phone
1 usaf sewing kit
1 led flashlight (g2 surefire)
extra batteries

Last edited:
Add a pistol to the list with ammo. Everyone is going to need close quarter protection.

Safety is number one.
You can collect all of the food and supplies in the state. If you do not have a way to protect it, say bye bye to it.

The other day I was talking to my brohter inlaw about putting together earthquake emergancy kit's. My brother said all he needed was the rope!!!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: crinkles

Rope

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Hmmmm...spirits drinkers are at a decided advantage, aren't they ?
Water is for washing.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Add a pistol to the list with ammo. Everyone is going to need close quarter protection.

Safety is number one.
You can collect all of the food and supplies in the state. If you do not have a way to protect it, say bye bye to it.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back