Surprising experience with PU

Status
Not open for further replies.
DB: I've definitely noticed stuff. For example, my cavalier when I had Valvoline Maxlife Blend 10W-40 in it over the summer, there was VERY noticeable lifter ticking. Heck, I have a recording of it on youtube if you care to hear it. But I changed it to PP 5W-30, and it is gone, except occasionally when I cold start it is there for a few minutes.

Another example, our 4.6L Expedition had MC 5W-20 in it, and it had a noticeably loud lifter, it was ticking. Got it changed to 76 (ConcoPhilips) 5W-20, and it is gone, and the engine is much quieter. It also runs smoother. On the MC, there was slightly more vibration during acceleration than with the Conventional.

It seems to me that most of us are missing the obvious. There are some individual vehicles that may act differently than most others. I'm sure we will all agree that not all Chevy Malibu's are going to perform exactly the same way, for example.

Given the fact that we can agree with the above premise, is it so hard to believe that some cars will perform differently with different oils???

"Butt dyno" is a real phenomenon for some people, in some cars. Some people on here want to ridicule the idea of it, and any person who puts forth any observations that may be so considered.

Open your minds, people! At least admit that it is a real possibility. And then let's all move on.

Great replies from sayjac and ekpolk to what I consider the real problem - uppity and condescending posts to those that don't have the time/knowledge/money to be oil experts.
Give it a rest. If this site were just data and expert diatribe, it would suck.
As the old 'net saying goes: if you don't like a thread, skip it.

In the past the only sounds one could hear with the hood up in the SUV w/5.3L was the ticking sound of the fuel injectors and the typical sound made by serpentine belts (2 on this vehicle). I changed the oil and now there is a sporadic lifter clack and you can tell it is not from only 1 lifter. A sound like that is not in one’s head. Same with the timing change in the 3.6L. Before the change there was no timing chain noise and now there is.

Does this mean PU stinks? I do not know. But in my vehicles it tells me that at the get go I have two engines that after changing to PU developed noticeable noises virtually immediately that were not there before.

I would love to hear from other owners with either a 5.3L or 3.6L if they have experienced the same after a change to PU.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Here is the Maxlife video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln6N_il3WiY

Here is the PP 5W-30.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rudolphna54?feature=mhw5#p/u/2/9UjLrJ_FXos

The metallic tapping is definitely there in your first video plain as day. My gf`s car did the same thing on Maxlife. Funny thing is that *she* is the one who noticed it and brought it to my attention,and she`s probably the most unmechanically inclined person I know. I just changed her car`s oil to Pennzoil yb and the tapping is completely gone.

Last edited:
I just drained the Mobile 1 in my 5.3 and put in some PU. No difference at all.

I think your senses have sharpened due to changing to a new unproven oil.

Originally Posted By: Jake_Wade
I think your senses have sharpened

His spidey sense is tingling
56.gif

This is related, but still a bit off-topic.

I was originally introduced to wrenching by an old shade-tree mechanic. He is now 72. He is a very simple man, and knows nothing of systems newer than about 1975.

Yet, his ears are so finely tuned, that he has, on 4 separate occasions, been able to not only ID a miss...he knew which cylinder bank!
Ths first time I witnessed it was with my big block. Very loud engine, of course, but he can pick out sonic signatures with impressive accuracy.

He taught me to set timing (remember using a timing light?) by ear, and how the car started with a crisp snap (especially when warm). He had a nice timing light, but said his ears were more accurate.
All of the cars (mostly small block Chevys) he tuned via this method ended up about 4 degrees advanced (I just HAD to check via timing light).

I am convinced that his method compensated for stretched timing chains and resulted in the cars running better and attaining better mileage.

Originally Posted By: Loogie
This is related, but still a bit off-topic.

I was originally introduced to wrenching by an old shade-tree mechanic. He is now 72. He is a very simple man, and knows nothing of systems newer than about 1975.

Yet, his ears are so finely tuned, that he has, on 4 separate occasions, been able to not only ID a miss...he knew which cylinder bank!
Ths first time I witnessed it was with my big block. Very loud engine, of course, but he can pick out sonic signatures with impressive accuracy.

He taught me to set timing (remember using a timing light?) by ear, and how the car started with a crisp snap (especially when warm). He had a nice timing light, but said his ears were more accurate.
All of the cars (mostly small block Chevys) he tuned via this method ended up about 4 degrees advanced (I just HAD to check via timing light).

I am convinced that his method compensated for stretched timing chains and resulted in the cars running better and attaining better mileage.

This is the type of experience and expertise that is missing, is actually not even though, and outright laughed at by some people and that is - trusting your senses. Nowadays you can walk into the dealership with a car running like dog, but if you don't have a CEL on, or other codes stored, they will claim it as normal.

Even this board is guilty of making fun of people that say they notice a smoother running or quieter engine, it's not all just placebo, some people car really tell the difference.

I can tell the difference when running 5w20 or 5w30 in my Jeep (it calls for 5w20) as it definately runs quieter with the w30 in there.
However, under normal driving I'm sure they both protect exactly the same. I wouldn't consider noise to be indicitive of more wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back