Surprising experience with PU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Sigh....just another example of what this site has become....

Speculation, butt-dyno reading, over-active imaginations...the whole nine yards.

This site, like soooo many others, is going to be a real joke soon if this tripe is allowed to continue.....

I sadly agree with you. Other forums make fun of it. I'm guilty of it myself.

Speculation, butt-dyno reading, over-active imaginations...the whole nine yards.

This site, like soooo many others, is going to be a real joke soon if this tripe is allowed to continue.....

Nothing wrong with the observations. These are observations and are not tripe. The interpretations/conclusions are the thing we can talk about. Some possible interpretations for the noise on the 5.3 could be that PU is a different viscosity than the previously used oils or that it is doing some cleaning, similar to the way auto-RX can increase valve noise when cleaning, or?

I for one appreciate hearing the observation and these should not be discouraged in my view. We have to separate the observations from the interpretation in trying to figure out "why" and not just write it off as "tripe".

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

I sadly agree with you. Other forums make fun of it. I'm guilty of it myself.

Allright now, everyone chill.

First, given the comparative quality of the vast majority of the "other sites" out there, the only thing I'm laughing about is that players on "other sites" are laughing at us. Thanks to the efforts of Bob at the beginning, and Tony (RIP, Sir), and Helen since, WE are not dominated by the knuckle-dragging, profane, bullyism that is prevalent in so many other internet places. Not here, no way, no how.

Second, although it is difficult, if not impossible, to adequately define, measure, and so forth, we simply can not dismiss outright the subjective components necessarily included in how all of us interact with our motor vehicles. We do, of course, need to ensure that we properly define the boundaries between the subjective and the objective.

Our vehicles are tremendously complex machines. So are we. It is not beyond belief that certain engines respond to one oil differently than another. Humans may perceive this (I have, notably in my Infiniti VQ35 V-6). Or they may not. The real challenge is, again, keeping the subjective and objective in their proper places. I understand that no global conclusions can be drawn from the fact that I could hear timing chain rattle with one oil, but not another, in my Infiniti V-6. Would have been better if I could have done real science on this, but I could not. But it was still there.

It is entirely possible that a user can hear his engine behaving differently on one oil versus another. This is, however, only a clue at best, and nobody should try to draw definite conclusions from such an observation.

Instead of killing messengers, let's focus upon gathering as many reliable facts (most of which will live between the extremes of pure objective and pure subjective) as we can, and work from there.
cheers3.gif

Quote:

Huh? The OP shares his experience with PU, anecdotal though it may be, others weigh in from different perspectives, and the site is going to be a joke soon because of it?
crazy2.gif
Only thing I see is, a new notably hyped product (PU) here hasn't performed for a member in a premium manner as regards it's premium price and his expectation.

So if he had posted that PU was working well, very smooth, and his motor was extremely quiet, that would be ok? Or should no anecdotal experience(s) be shared at all. Or perhaps only those experiences/opinions that meet with the approval of a certain group based on some arbitrary reasoning/policy?

IMO it's not tripe at all, and I thank the OP for posting. Though I'm not sure what it says if he truely feared banishment.

And, as far as other forums making fun of Bitog, quite frankly I couldn't care less. With that elitist attitude, perhaps it's good that they post elsewhere. There's lots of good and knowledgable posters here.

Lonestar thanks for sharing. Many people know their cars well enough to notice change both good and bad. PU was praised here w/o giving it much time, the praise was based on Pennzoil's reputation and not hard cold facts.

Before I get slammed, I think it will turn out to be a fine product. Before I run out to the store and buy it, I'm waiting on UOA reports and the feedback that follows them. I'm not a big fan of UOA reports either but if several of them come back head and shoulders above PP then I will believe them and consider PU. In the meantime I will be waiting, and consider your post as {-} for PU, at least for now. All comments so far for PU have been positive, yours is negative, nothing wrong with that. Thanks for the report.

As a side note I tried premium boutique oil for almost a year now, and my observations, butt dino, and wife's remarks lead me to believe PP is better. Before I consider using the premium boutique oil again at almost twice the cost I might send off a UOA. If the report is stellar I would consider it again otherwise, forget it and move on. JMO

All oils get critized for noise from time to time. PU will be no differant. The only real test that an oil is top notch is the test of time and miles. Judgeing the quality of an oil after a few hundred miles or by UOAs is a mistake.IMO

PU is so good it is probably cleaning the metal off too!

Pennzoil claims that no leading oil has better wear protection so I doubt lack of anti wear additives is an issue.

Was this the same weight oil?

Give it a little time to settle in and get used to the oil.

Last edited:
I'm going on around 3,500 miles on Ultra now, and it has been buttery smooth. It's going in the Camaro next.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:

Huh? The OP shares his experience with PU, anecdotal though it may be, others weigh in from different perspectives, and the site is going to be a joke soon because of it?
crazy2.gif
Only thing I see is, a new notably hyped product (PU) here hasn't performed for a member in a premium manner as regards it's premium price and his expectation.

So if he had posted that PU was working well, very smooth, and his motor was extremely quiet, that would be ok? Or should no anecdotal experience(s) be shared at all. Or perhaps only those experiences/opinions that meet with the approval of a certain group based on some arbitrary reasoning/policy?

IMO it's not tripe at all, and I thank the OP for posting. Though I'm not sure what it says if he truely feared banishment.

And, as far as other forums making fun of Bitog, quite frankly I couldn't care less. With that elitist attitude, perhaps it's good that they post elsewhere. There's lots of good and knowledgable posters here.

You took the words right out of my mouth! Other posters post positive results with PU, nada said, OP post negative result with PU and now the board is a joke!?

I have surely seen many odd remarks from the so called professionals oil guys on this site. When your on forums you will learn who to listen to and who doesn't have a clue in certain areas. I can surely tell you about your diesel, but I admit I don't know half as much about oil and chemistry as Molekule, Doug hillary, Johnny and a couple of other.

People that are obsessed with their vehicles as much as we are will deffinetly know if something is not right. I can get in a powerstroke and start it and tell whats wrong without even scanning it. So in my opinion the knowledge of one vehicle is a pretty good butt dyno. To say this site is a joke, should lead you elsewhere then. You can also just stick to the humor section of the forum.

There are alot of possible reasons for valvetrain noise. I would stick with it for a longer time and see what happens.

I will have a UOA next week sometime, but first I got take the wife to seaworld today and drive home.

Last edited:
Great post, ekpolk.

I have been driving the the same car (1997 Monte Carlo) for the past 12 years. I'm very in tune with that car and can feel or hear changes.
I used M1 almost exclusively until only a few years ago, and the few times I ran conventional (of the same weight) the engine was substantially quieter. As a poster above noted, my wife notices it as well, so this is not likely secondary to a placebo effect.

I also believe that the butt-dyno phenomenon may be real. My car feels a bit snappier with certain oils (or even fresh oil), and increased MPG seems to quantify this conclusion.

I believe most car buffs know their cars and when something is not up to par. They should know when something is wrong, or when something has improved. I often laugh at the butt dino comments, especially when I myself have been tinkering with engines longer than many of the members here have been living. I might not be up on the latest and greatest technology but I do know my cars, and how and when to service them. When I'm stumped I'm not afraid to ask questions either.

The OP stated his opinions, whether or not we agree with them doesn't matter, I feel the man knows his car and is sharing his observations. Like I said before I'm waiting on more reports and data. The good news for me is I'm still months away from my next oil change for a vehicle that I use Synthetic oil in. Besides PU is not available in 0W20 anyway. In my 5W30 app I have plenty of PP to use up first.

The previous oil in the 5.3L was Amsoil SSO 0W30. The previous oil in the 3.6L DI was PP 5W30. PU 5W30 was placed in both with a UPF44 going on the 5.3L and a UPF48 going on the 3.6L. So, no change in filters and the 5.3L went from a 0W30 to a 5W30 and the 3.6L stayed the same. SL 5W30 is the recommendation in the manual for the 5.3L and SM 5W30 is recommended for the 3.6L. Naturally, PU is SM.

Someone mentioned I purchased 10 qts. That is incorrect, I purchased the 12 qts. The 5.3L take 6 qts w/filter and the 3.6L takes 5.5 qts. w/filter.

Another observation regarding the 3.6L. The smell of gas in the dumped PP was extremely strong as it was with previous changes. Lots of posts on the Lambda platform forums and on BITOG about the 3.6L DI having fuel dilution. Simply based on smell it appears the 3.6L DI does experience fuel dilution and the OLM was still @ 77%.

My desire is to have the best protection possible in my cars and I do not give a hang what the name on the bottle says. We have not discussed it here that much because it is not a BITOG darling but a recent UOA of Texas Refinery Corp oil in an Impala appears to have produced positive results beyond any of the named brand oils in the UOA section and maybe something that I will considered for future use.

Now, are my cars weird or perhaps an I weird? Maybe but are we not all weird to some point? I mean I used RL 5W20 in a 3.9L V8 Thunderbird and experienced a drop in gas mileage and the free revving 6200 RPM redline 3.9L felt sluggest with what is without question an absolute top notch oil. I replaced the Red Line in this car with what I had been running and the mileage returned and the sluggesness was gone. Maybe the HT/HS of RL’s 5W20 (3.3) is too much for the 3.9L V8 and better results would have been experience if I had selected the RL 0W20 with an HT/HS of 2.7. So many options, so little time.

I feel like an idiot. I have worked on cars and built engines since 1983. Last year I changed 130 gallons of motor oil, and not once in my life have I ever noticed a difference in noise, smoothness, or power simply by changing the oil. I guess my sensory perception just isn't worth a darn....

Last edited:
Db- You never noticed a slight hesitation, a miss, an engine taking a little longer to start, or labor a tiny bit more on a cold start? Just a few things I've noticed over the years, not all oil related but some where. For me during winter I noticed easier starts and less noise with PP 5W30 vs Mobil 1 5W30.

I noticed a miss once and upon inspection of the my dist cap was cracked. My point is feel, sound, butt dino, what ever, is sometimes the first indication that something is wrong, or has improved.

Now I realize you said you've used 130 gallons of oil doing oil changes. My bet if you spent some time with some of these cars you'd get to know the car and if it was running good or bad just by sound and feel. I'd be willing to bet your sensory perception is spot on!

I`ve always wondered what exactly a "butt dyno" is. I`m guessing it`s when people say "My car runs smoother with such and such oil",or "This oil make my car`s lifters rattle",etc? I`m a firm believer in that anomaly. Most of us are very "in tune" with our cars,as such since we`re diy`ers and know our cars inside and out. Therefore when something the least bit different occurs,we immediately notice it.

I notice LOTS of things about a cars performance, and I've felt an engine go hinky after filling up with gas, or certain weather condition, or after changing tune up parts, but NEVER oil. Sure, if you take out 30W and put in 5W30, it will crank better, start faster, quiet down quicker, but I've never dumped ont one brand of say 10W30, and dumped in another brand of 10W30 and said "Hey, this engine feels/sounds different". When I listen to my engines, I hear injectors ticking, I hear alternator brushes squaking, I hear serpentine belt noise, i hear exhaust sounds, I hear the engine fan, etc, but I normally don't hear lifter noise, valve noise, timing chain noise unless the engine has an actual problem. I swear to God I'm not picking on anyone, but whenever I read one of these threads, my eyes just naturally roll back in my head. Maybe you guys are all just smarter than me.

I am with Dieselbob, I have driven and worked on many cars in 40 years of driving. I can remember one time when I noticed any difference after an oil change.

I drained the 10-30 MC5000 from my 351 Windsor inboard boat and replaced with 15-40 Delo and it had less valvtrain noise.

I have used 10-15 different oils in my wife's Accord in 200K. Not a difference in any of them comes to mind.

I am pretty sensitive and carful observer. I was driving once and told my son I picked up a screw on the LF tire. Pulled over and there it was. He was impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back