Supertech ST9688 10,000mi cut open

Used this filter on my Maxima's dying VQ35DE for approx. 10k miles with Supertech conventional 5W-30 plus other cheap 5W-30s used to top off every ~300 mi. I was expecting to find this thing pretty chewed up on the inside, but was pleasantly surprised at how it held up. Pleats were wavy but the media was solid, no tears or anything else noteworthy. Nitrile ADBV was also softer and more pliable than I thought it would be.

According to the date code, this filter was assembled on Nov 9, 2016, I installed it in Jan 2018, and removed it Sep 2019. Cut it open this weekend along with the Tear-o-lator taken from my Mazda on its first oil change (will be posting a C&P of that one also).

IMG_20200503_123441.jpg

IMG_20200503_123450.jpg

IMG_20200503_123626.jpg

IMG_20200503_124320.jpg

IMG_20200503_124332.jpg

IMG_20200503_124401.jpg

IMG_20200503_124707.jpg

IMG_20200503_124717.jpg

Last edited:
resolution on the last pic looks very different than the one above it, makes it look like there are metal shavings everywhere.

It's probably just me, but I dont feel confident going past 4k on the same filter, not talking about cheap ST one for 10k

Originally Posted by SlavaB
It's probably just me, but I dont feel confident going past 4k on the same filter, not talking about cheap ST one for 10k

Its just you. There are quality filters than can go 7500 or 10K. And more. Maybe not this one pictured however.

There's the same kind of circular score mark on this Wix made filter just like the one with the bad thread,in another posting. Wix must do it at the factory or it's quite a coincidence.

Filter actually looks good for that mileage overall. Wavy pleats but there not torn. Put that same filter on a friends 2008 Sonata 2.4L who is cash strapped at the moment.

Thanks for the C&P. What's wrong with the motor? I guess your not gonna baby it until it dies! I would probably not run it for 10K, but that's me.

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
resolution on the last pic looks very different than the one above it, makes it look like there are metal shavings everywhere.

It just came out blurry as [censored], didn't realize it until I had already finished up and thrown this stuff away. I found it's tough to take good pics when your hands are covered in old oil
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Donald
What is up in picture #4? It looks torn or damaged. Near your thumb.

Looks like a combination of the lighting and the way the valve was formed, it wasn't torn but wasn't a perfectly smooth circle either. Didn't seem to hurt anything as this filter still had some oil in it when I cut it, even after sitting base-side down for a few months.

Originally Posted by JC1
Thanks for the C&P. What's wrong with the motor? I guess your not gonna baby it until it dies! I would probably not run it for 10K, but that's me.

It was consuming oil at an unbelievable rate, a quart every few hundred miles. Very common problem on the early VQ35 Maximas, shame because the rest of the car was in pretty good shape for being almost 20 years old. I'd never run any filter for that long (except maybe a Fram Ultra) on a car that wasn't on its last legs, but since this one was getting fresh oil like twice a month its last few OCIs went pretty long.

Originally Posted by penataquit

Originally Posted by JC1

It was consuming oil at an unbelievable rate, a quart every few hundred miles. Very common problem on the early VQ35 Maximas, shame because the rest of the car was in pretty good shape for being almost 20 years old. I'd never run any filter for that long (except maybe a Fram Ultra) on a car that wasn't on its last legs, but since this one was getting fresh oil like twice a month its last few OCIs went pretty long.

Thanks makes sense then to run the oil that long since it's always getting fresh oil.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
There's the same kind of circular score mark on this Wix made filter just like the one with the bad thread,in another posting. Wix must do it at the factory or it's quite a coincidence.

I think the "score" being talked about in the other thread was about the score mark right near the center hole, not the line going through the inlet holes. That mark looks to be from the manufacturing process.

That is the old, discontinued version Supertech. Doubt if they are in the stores anymore.

Back