Napa Proselect 21348 Cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came off my new to me LS400.
Mileage unknown, time unknown but I would guess about 1 year.
also opened using harbor freight exhaust cutter, worked ok, same as wix

IMAG0239.jpg

Very similar to the Wix I just cut open except that this filter has a nitrile ADBV instead of silicone.
It is difficult to describe the stiffness of the black nitrile ADBV here. It was VERY stiff. Like hockey puck stiff. It would crack in half before it bent in half.

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0241.jpg

Nice wavy pleats, not so important i guess.... but they were very brittle and I could tear them easily with my fingers.

IMAG0242.jpg

this is what it caught

in conclusion..... I'm glad I got this piece of junk off the car.
And I promise myself to NEVER use a filter with a nitrile ADBV.... only silicone.

Last edited:
This might be reaching, but perhaps it was an old filter that had been stored improperly for a long time before being put on the car.

At least it had the base end bypass.
Ive installed proselect for Toyota with the terribly designed combo valve - and had MAJOR problems with them - hard rubber there too - likely decade old stock.
No proselect for me.
I am a proper wix fan in the med to larger form factors --OTW ACDelco champs PF2057 is the best Toyota filter for smaller engines over problematic but nicely built/finished Thai Denso Toyota OTC genuine Service parts.

It's hard to know the service history with a used car.

But now you have a fresh start with a new filter and oil you trust.

I'd hardly call that a piece of junk but you have plenty of other 3 buck filters to choose from. The nitrile on the low tier Wix made filters does seem to be stiffer than most, but it works in its actual intended use. Were you getting drain back? I don't when I use them.

The media is brittle no doubt, yet I've never seen one ripped from use doing it's intended function.

The biggest knock on these is they are probably about 80% efficiency filters and you can get much higher filtration efficiency from other filters that cost almost the same.

Thanks for cutting and posting!

I just pulled a Napa Pro-Select off my buddies Impala and it looked quite different from the one you showed. His (as in image below) was one year old - yours may have been much older.
8499_1.gif

Proselect: IMO.....A low-tier filter (you get what you pay for), with poor efficiency and and an inferior nitrite ADBV. I guess it will do the job for the short OCI folks who do 3k to 5K OCI's, but as some have suggested, there are better filters out there close to that price range.

Thanks for sharing and excellent pictures.

What filter and oil are you now using on your LS 400 ?

I would have thought its WIX made quality would have stood out a bit more, but as stated, we dont know the usage. The propane powered floor cleaner at work has a Pro Select on it. It was last changed in May IIRC? I really want to ask my boss if I can take it home for dissection once it gets replaced.

Not too many filters posted here from propane applications.

Let's see, a filter of unknown age, on a car of unknown age, but any problems with the filter HAVE to be problems of the filter manufacturer.

Filter looked pretty good to me, given the unknown variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back