Supertech oil filters are back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Walmart did not have the new book yet, and the electronic filter look up thing did not work, and it has not worked for the last six months.

As far as the OP's filter, I looked to see if they had any ST7317, and I did not see any. The 7317 fits my sons 2008 Honda Civic, so that's why I was looking for it. Looking over the entire line up of ST oil filters, it definitely looked like Fram part numbers to me, at least a good many of them.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
My Walmart did not have the new book yet, and the electronic filter look up thing did not work, and it has not worked for the last six months.

As far as the OP's filter, I looked to see if they had any ST7317, and I did not see any. The 7317 fits my sons 2008 Honda Civic, so that's why I was looking for it. Looking over the entire line up of ST oil filters, it definitely looked like Fram part numbers to me, at least a good many of them.

My Walmart in Coosbay had an updated book as well as an electronic key pad for wipers and filters. According to another topic from last week, and the book at the store, the ST7317 was replaced eith the narrower and taller ST9688 presumably to reduce stock.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

95% @ 29 microns should be approx 80% @ 20 microns.

Pretty Ho-Hum as far as I'm concerned. OK for a low end filter and at $2.84 it is a good deal, but I wouldn't say it falls under the "Cheaper and Better alternatives" catagory.

Could any explain why a supertech st6607 with combo valve (the new version)is bad .are combovalveso awfull? I would have expected it to be awesome since filter supply oil an . Bypass also supply oil so no cavitations issue . only reason I use a tg7317 is because of cold start and filter empty fast . if I had a combo adbv/bypass I wouldn't need a big filter

How do these combo work? Flex power? If so this is a brilliant design and I wouldn't sweat a bit about its reliability. Given how engine work anyway. At low rpm engine need more oil at higher rpm engine need less so I dog seeanyissud with this . in the cold even if it doesn't flex it doesn't Mather since bypass is at entrance it means the thing is gona get heated very quick ty for info.is it confirmed if the st 6607 has a combo adbv/bypass at entrance

^^^ The diagram I showed in the link AuthorEditor posted shows how the oil flows past the combo valve. When the delta-p is high enough, the rubber flexes inward and allows oil to bypass the media as shown by the red arrow.

Engines need MORE oil at higher RPM ... that's why a positive displacement oil pump puts out more and more oil with increased engine RPM.

If it's super cold out I can't see how the rubber combo valve could flex well enough to ensure proper bypass function until the rubber gets warmed up as the oil warms up. I would recommend not getting into the RPM very much until the engine warms up quite a bit if you're running a filter with a combo valve.

I have never had an issue with a Wix made combo valve filter, even in brutal cold starts, but I still think the "flex" concern is a valid point.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Is there an easy way to know if a filter is a combo valve (Without seeimg it. Like a combo valved sized like a 7317

If you can't see any kind of valve in the dome end while looking down the center tube, it might have a combo valve ... unless of course you for sure know it has a normal base end bypass valve like most Motorcraft or Wix filters.

I checked these 2016 Supertech.nnumbering is still mostly champion fram so it look like champion make these. A lot other supertech oil filter get the combo . For gm etc.maybe nitrile combo . The center tube is high quality. I baught an st 6607. hopefully someone will cut one open . The combo valve seem massive.If this is by champion ? 2.84 $? Its good filter. So clean you could eat on it lol

Last edited:
Regarding the combo valve, there must be some reason why ACDelco spec'd a dome end bypass valve on the redesigned e-cores instead of the previously used combo valves in the previous e-core design.

Quote:
Regarding the combo valve, there must be some reason why ACDelco spec'd a dome end bypass valve on the redesigned e-cores instead of the previously used combo valves in the previous e-core design.

Actually it wasn't ACDelco, it was GM. ACDelco for newer GM models with filter integral bypass use the poppet type bypass.

However, other ACDelco ecore filters still use a combo valve. The PF53 equivalent to 3614 for non GM, specs/uses a combo valve.

Gm bypass at the engine. So only adbv is needed

Not anymore. Bypass is in the filter on the newer stuff.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Gm bypass at the engine. So only adbv is needed

Not anymore. Bypass is in the filter on the newer stuff.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:

Actually it wasn't ACDelco, it was GM. ACDelco for newer GM models with filter integral bypass use the poppet type bypass.

However, other ACDelco ecore filters still use a combo valve. The PF53 equivalent to 3614 for non GM, specs/uses a combo valve.

So you're saying AC Delco applications which didn't require a BPV prior now use a combo valve and not just a ADBV? Strange as other aftermarket makes i.e. QS3387A still only use ADBV and no BPV.

Same with Fram PH3387A for example - no BPV.

http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Part-Detail?PN=PH3387A

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back