Supertech Dexron VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Now that OEMs are going towards the abolishment of license fees, the excuse that the fee increases costs is pretty much vaporised! So, now what's the excuse? Could it possibly be that the 'real' reason is fear that the products are not actually what they are marketed to be. Otherwise, what's the reason now?"
Whitewolf

It is my understanding that D VI can be made up of II plus and III. Is ther enough to go around? Is there an exclusivity until 2010?

Before you answer. Are you sure.

the thread has gotten sidetracked a bit..
has anyone used this supertech dex VI in their transmission? any reports? I'm interested in possibly using this stuff for my 96 sunfire to see if shift quality improves over the traditional dex 3 I got in there now.

Group III availability seems to be no problem as far as I can see. If anything the supply seems to be growing.

Exclusivity? Well Item 3.5 of the spec shows the procedure for approval of "New DEXRON-VI Additive Chemistry Combinations" which seems to suggest that there is no exclusivity.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Probably not. If the OEM says use T-IV then that's what you should use.

You didn't read my post very carefully. Perhaps I should have stated it like this:

Can you use T-IV in place of Dexron VI (or Dexron III)?

Not that it really matters. I just use what the manual says to use.

I plan on changing the atf in my '03 Saturn fairly soon (when it warms up here) using the ST Dex VI. The bottle says "GM Approved" right on the front, so it has to be legitimate... right? At the very least, it should be an upgrade from the Dex III that's in there.

I will post any noticeable differences I find after the change is completed.

BTW, my local WM has a spot on the shelf for ST Dex VI but no stock yet. They rearranged their products last week and it looks like they are still getting some of the new products in (the planagram for the new stock was taped to the shelves, so I gave it a good look over).

They did have stock of the new Mobil 1 0w oils.

"You didn't read my post very carefully. Perhaps I should have stated it like this:

Can you use T-IV in place of Dexron VI (or Dexron III)?"

Sorry, I didn't read it that way. However, the answer is simple. No.

The answer is NO - use only what your manuals says. As most of you are aware besides viscosity of finished fluid there are lots of other things in the fluid which can potentially cause problems.

Please refer to manual and use the correct fluid.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
has anyone used this supertech dex VI in their transmission? any reports? I'm interested in possibly using this stuff for my 96 sunfire to see if shift quality improves over the traditional dex 3 I got in there now.

+1 I've got a 2000 toyota 4runner that needs some new atf. It takes dexron III. Would this work in my transmission?

Originally Posted By: knight2255
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

+1 I've got a 2000 toyota 4runner that needs some new atf. It takes dexron III. Would this work in my transmission?

If the bottle says it will work in what is called for in your tranny you are fine. Don't experiment unless you own a tranny shop.

The hazmat team finally got back to me. ST DexVI is made by Warren Distribution, and the MSDS is specific to the Walmart variety (i.e., no alternate names listed). Warren Distribution/Mag1/Polar/Accel is not the same company as Warren Unilube/Coastal/Lubriguard, so this fluid is NOT licensed, at least according to GM's list of licensees.

http://www.gm.com/explore/technology/gmp...ease_31MY07.doc

This does not mean that the fluid will not perform well, but the original post asked for feedback, and this is feedback.
cool.gif

If anyone wants a copy of the MSDS, PM me and I will email it to you.

GM says that Dexron VI is supposed to replace Dexron IIE and Dexron III fluids, although Allison has stated that certain transmissions that are specified to use Dexron III cannot use Dexron VI.

There are still a lot of Dex III equivalents out there, so I would just use a good Dexron III equivalent transmission fluid and if you want to improve performance, go to a fully synthetic one.

The available so called DEXRON-III equivalents are of a totally unknown quality. Basically they could be anything.

My understanding is that some manufacturers chose not to validate DEXRON-VI because they did not fully realise the implications of the cancellation of DEXRON-III.

Good afternoon all,

Got a copy of the MSDS from Squishy (thanks much!). Interestingly, it lists two main ingredients:

* Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light paraffinic

* Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic

Makes no mention of any synthetic base or additives. Being that that is the case, can we assume that this is not a synthetic product? Or if it is a synthetic product, can we assume it's Group III as the MSDS makes no mention of "synthetic" or "PAO" or "esters" of any type? IE: MSDS' from Royal Purple and AMSOIL (two oils I'm pretty sure have esters/PAO don't mention the above ingredients, plus they say "synthetic" and note that the exact formulation is proprietary.)

Asking the question to know more - not interested in saying that this fluid is good/bad etc...

thanks,
ben

Dexron VI is required to have group III in it. GM specifies a particular standard for base oils, and the additive package. There is relatively little wiggle room in it from my understanding.

The GM branded/factory fill product itself is produced by Petro-Canada, and is a group II/group III blend with the GM specified additive package from Afton Chemical.

The question is "how much group III" is needed????

Plus, hydrotreated anything might be the enough of that group III!

The word 'synthetic' is a marketing/ad term....basically meaningless now.

"The word 'synthetic' is a marketing/ad term....basically meaningless now".
unDummy.

Correct in North America but the German court ruled opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back