Supertech Dexron VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
VOA comparison of DexronVi's is needed. Any license for the supertech stuff? Hey, its GM approved. Good enough!

Universal multivehicle thin atf????

But, price is right and is what DexronVI is worth. About time that someone sells it for $3 a quart. I won't mention what a barrel of Dex6 costs(less then ATF+4). Serious price bloating somewhere along DexronVI's supply chain.

Visc is the reason why certain ATFs aren't approved. M1 ATF is too thick for DexVI. Thats it!!!! Is it too hard to understand that if a fluid is TOO THICK, it won't meet the thinner spec required?

GroupIII based is meaningless. Ever wonder what percent of groupIII is needed to meet DexronVI????? compared to other blends like MerconV or ATF+4?????

"It may be no better than an Amsoil/Redline unlicensed knockoff."
I would put either one of these fluids in my vehicle well before considering this one.
"It's not the base oil that's the concern here, it's the additive package" Ah... but the base stock does matter. All gII are not the same nor are pao's and furthermore i would not be surprised if some gII gets slipped in from time to time. There is not enough base stock to go around for this change.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
VOA comparison of DexronVi's is needed. Any license for the supertech stuff? Hey, its GM approved. Good enough!

That would by my sentiment exactly, assuming that it IS licensed... that's the question at the moment.

But the wording on the bottle makes me suspect that this is an unlicensed knockoff. Kinda like Redline D6 or Amsoil. Might be good stuff; might not. One would have to rely on anecdotal evidence and oil analysis to make an educated guess.

Once you the the MSDS it usually lists alternate names. If it says something like Warren Dexron VI or Coastal Dexron VI, then you could probably safely assume that ST is licensed as well.

Wal-Mart hasn't gotten back to me on the MSDS though. May have to wait until it's listed on their website.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: salesrep
Ah... but the base stock does matter. All gII are not the same nor are pao's and furthermore i would not be surprised if some gII gets slipped in from time to time. There is not enough base stock to go around for this change.

No, Dexron-VI needs Group III to pass the tests.

I'm not saying that the basestock does not matter, what I'm saying is that the additive package is just as important.

If the base stock was all that mattered, you could pour PAO "synthetic tractor fluid" into your transmission and it would work. But it doesn't work that way.

Originally Posted By: unDummy

Universal multivehicle thin atf????

But, price is right and is what DexronVI is worth. About time that someone sells it for $3 a quart. I won't mention what a barrel of Dex6 costs(less then ATF+4). Serious price bloating somewhere along DexronVI's supply chain.

Visc is the reason why certain ATFs aren't approved. M1 ATF is too thick for DexVI. Thats it!!!! Is it too hard to understand that if a fluid is TOO THICK, it won't meet the thinner spec required?

GroupIII based is meaningless. Ever wonder what percent of groupIII is needed to meet DexronVI????? compared to other blends like MerconV or ATF+4?????

Dexron-VI isn't thinner than Dexron III(H) if you think about it. Dexron-VI has much, much lower viscosity loss than Dexron III(H). The frictional durability has also improved significantly and that is one of the huge differences between VI and III.

Originally Posted By: Ross
So can I use dexron-6 in my older cars that call for dexron-2 ??

It was designed to be backwards compatible from the beginning.

"Is it too hard to understand that if a fluid is TOO THICK, it won't meet the thinner spec required"?

It shouldn't be that hard!

The viscosity comparison is also published information. Again, see SAE paper #2006-01-3242.

Then why does everyone cry that M1, or any other, not meet DexronVI?

Also, the dexronVI infomercial gets pretty annoying.

You just don't get it do you?
Why do you think that Mobil markets specific DEXRON-VI product?
M1 does not meet DEXRON-VI. End of discussion.
I don't care if you don't like some of us telling the truth but that's it!
If you want some help in finding the information that answers your questions then all you have to do is ask. We are supposed to be here to help each other are we not?

Duh, I never asked why it didn't. I asked why people keeping asking why!
End of what discussion?
DexronVI doesn't meet Mobil-1 synth-ATF's requirement::::

Wow, this thread sure went sideways in a hurry.
frown.gif

Kinda shocked me that M1-ATF didn't meet DexVI, so I bopped over to M1's webpage and downloaded the M1-ATF data sheet. Sure'nuff, Mobile says NOT to use M1-ATF in a DexVI application.

Further, looking at viscosity, Mobil (not M1!) DexVI is thinner than M1-ATF. Mobil says the Mobil DexVI semi-syn. Interesting...

later taters,
b

You have to be careful though because whilst DEXRON-VI si 'thinner' than most ATFs when new it is also very shear stable.

Originally Posted By: kd5byb
Wow, this thread sure went .......
frown.gif

Kinda shocked me that M1-ATF didn't meet DexVI, so I bopped over to M1's webpage and downloaded the M1-ATF data sheet. Sure'nuff, .............later taters,
b

Well done, good to see your initiative to check some things out for your self, helps to confirm facts.

SuperTech ATF+4 has a license number listed with the black (batch or product?) numbers above the label. I don't see "license #" on this Dex VI bottle, so I would have to assume it may not be licensed. Just because it is a SuperTech product, does not mean it is of inferior quality. I have been using their ATF in vehicles for years and never had a problem or premature failure. I can only imagine how much a branded advertising campaign's cost trickles down into a higher price for the final product at retail.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Well done, good to see your initiative to check some things out for your self, helps to confirm facts.

Thanks for the complement - I was so shocked I had to see it with my own eyes...

thanks,
b

It's a good thing to 'root around' not only to find out what people claim but also what they don't say in the 'weasel words' of some of those claims. Now that OEMs are going towards the abolishment of license fees, the excuse that the fee increases costs is pretty much vaporised! So, now what's the excuse? Could it possibly be that the 'real' reason is fear that the products are not actually what they are marketed to be. Otherwise, what's the reason now?

This stuff comes out right after I bit the bullet and bought a case of OEM Toyota T-IV.
33.gif

Hmmm.....It probably doesn't work this way, but I wonder if this means that OEM Toyota T-IV is backward compatible with Dexron VI (and Dexron III)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back