supertech 5w20 full syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
I bought ST 5w-20 synthetic for my Elantra and my engine ran erratically the entire time I ran it. My engine would surge when I would stop, I would hear the engine tap at times after making a long drive.

After I changed back to Pennzoil Ultra, everything became normal again in about a few hundred miles.

I don't think there's much to speculate to be honest with you. There was one change that occurred and it ran differently. I changed the oil and filter out to what I was using previously and it ran normally afterwards.

Whoa, wait. "A few hundred miles"? Which is it?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Whoa, wait. "A few hundred miles"? Which is it?

I don't understand what you're getting at. Do I need to state "a few hundred miles" every single time? I'm missing your point.

Well I just noticed it then, in your last post it implied that the engine returned to normal immediately after the oil change - which would be expected if it were the oil. How do you explain a several-hundred mile wait for improvement? That sounds like a fuel problem to me.

A few hundred miles tends to negate cause and effect does it not?

Here's the thing.

When I changed the oil initially with the ST and took it on a test drive, I pulled up to a stop light and noticed what felt like to me a surge. Then once the engine got all the way hot, I heard tapping coming from the engine. These behaviors and observations occurred the entire time I had that ST oil in it.

These behaviors were introduced immediately after the oil change. If it were a fuel problem, I would imagine that this behavior would have been the case beforehand.

Once I changed the oil back to PU, the tapping when hot went away immediately and the surging gradually went away.

I know it sounds rather wacky, but that's how my car ran with Supertech synthetic in it. Did it make me hate ST products? Not at all. I'm just reporting the behavior that my vehicle experienced with the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back