Rethinking my interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until my current fill I've been following a 5k interval on my Focus whether using a conventional or a blend, etc. As the sig says, I'm currently using M1 AFE 0w-30. Usually use a 20 grade but... AZ clearance.

I generally use the car 5 days a week, to and from work only, parked the whole weekend. Maybe in the evening I will use it to make a short trip into town, 5 - 7 miles total, maximum. Otherwise, my daily commute is about 14 miles each way. Definitely reaches operating temp but I'm wondering if it borders on short-trip territory. I drive moderately, red line maybe once every week or two.

I'm set on using a full syn 0w/5w-30 (I do have, I think 6 quarts of Magnatec 5w20) for the foreseeable future because that makes up most of my 55qt stash to be shared between the whole fleet.

Also, using a Motorcraft filter, next OCI or two will be Bosch distance plus (WM clearance).

I was going to go a full 10k interval on this M1 AFE but as I'm at about 7k and I'm wondering if the short-ish trips and everything mean I should go with 7 - 7.5k.

What say you, BITOG?

Last edited:
the car has (presumably) lasted for 16 years with your previous maintenance schedule I'd continue with that.
I would consider 14 mile trip if not on the interstate, short-tripping. If you are itching for a change to your previous schedule, I believe the M-1 AFE 5-30 will cover you for 1 entire year, or 10 K miles, whichever is first
Steve

The engineer in me says that in a small car like that, a good synthetic is probably good for 10k no questions asked. I'm out to 13.6k on my Fusion at about 1ppm/1k miles and many of the smarter guys here say I should have no issues pushing 20k. I tend to think I'm going for it (next oci is PUP 0w-20 and Microgreen filter- we'll be able to isolate the results of the MG filter on UOAs since I have 7-8 UOAs all around 1ppm iron per 1k miles and 0.2-0.3% insolubles).

The pessimist in me says if you are super worried, pull a sample now and get a TBN on it. If it's above 2.0, make the run to 10k (unless analysis specifically mentions not to). MC and D+ filters are both good; if the UOA and TBN are fine at 7k you should be fine for the future as well.

Just my 2 cents worth.:) Before I met my wife, I used to change oil every 5000 miles. She changes her oil every 12000-15000 miles based on a study she read about New York Taxi's running 30,000 miles between oil changes. I read the report and changed my oil at 12000 miles from then on, this was before I knew about oil analysis. When I did the oil changes, I would cut open the filters and check for metal and sludge etc and there were none. For 27 years I've been doing this and have never had any engine trouble in any of the cars we've owned. It's your car, so you be the judge, but if you want to run extended drain intervals, just take a sample and send it off to a lab and have them give you the results.

Cap it at 7.5k (right in the middle) unless you want to get a UOA to check the condition of the oil to see if you can safely run 10k or more without any problems. For all you know, you can do 15k miles and have the Focus last you another 10 years with ease.

I will not likely do a UOA as I plan on using different oils in subsequent changes. I have one jug of AFE left, then its on to Pennzoil offerings (two different Euro varieties of 5w-30 that I got on AZ clearance, both SN rated).

I feel confident that I could go 10k on any M1 oil but I have that illness where I just don't want to. I'm not really itching to change my previous schedule. I just don't want to 'waste' full synthetics on 5k OCIs. If I had gotten conventional oils on sale like I got these synthetics, I would do 5k and not think anymore about it.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Also, during AZ clearance I picked up some of the Pennzoil Euro L and Euro AV varieties, both SN rated. However, reading here, it seems like they're only thought to be good enough for 5k runs in US (e10) gasoline cars. Is this correct??

I went to 10K from 5K somewhere around 10 years ago when the UOA's on my 2003 V8 4Runner came back looking good. I'm using a 0w-30 synthetic oil doing a lot of hard work on rough roads and sometimes pulling a horse trailer.

I'm using an oil that is especially good for 10K runs and I change the Mobil 1 oil filter every other oil change for 20K runs. Since I do my own work and oil is not a major expense I'm not going beyond 10K even though these UOA's indicate that 12-15K might work. I think of staying well within a reasonable interval to be prepared if I run into more difficult conditions, a safety margin so to speak. Repairing an engine can be really expensive.
UOA

Originally Posted By: A310
She changes her oil every 12000-15000 miles based on a study she read about New York Taxi's running 30,000 miles between oil changes. I read the report and changed my oil at 12000 miles from then on, ... For 27 years I've been doing this and have never had any engine trouble in any of the cars we've owned.

That is absolutely perfectly safe in certain engines and with certain viscosities.

However, GM, Nissan, Kia, Hyundai and others had a rash of rapid chain wear issues. Due to the combo of long drain intervals and ultra thin viscosity. I can't guess which engine will have a problem with cam + balancer chain wear. I can state that frequent OCI's and sufficient viscosity solves the problem with those engines.

GM, in particular, had an awful amount of needless warranty work to do.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
I will not likely do a UOA as I plan on using different oils in subsequent changes. I have one jug of AFE left, then its on to Pennzoil offerings (two different Euro varieties of 5w-30 that I got on AZ clearance, both SN rated).

I feel confident that I could go 10k on any M1 oil but I have that illness where I just don't want to. I'm not really itching to change my previous schedule. I just don't want to 'waste' full synthetics on 5k OCIs. If I had gotten conventional oils on sale like I got these synthetics, I would do 5k and not think anymore about it.

You have two choices when it comes to synthetic oil. Either use it for it's longer life and extend the OCI's or use it for its strong oil properties and keep dumping it at 5k intervals while benefiting from better engine protection / cleaniness.

I personally go with the better engine protection and use synthetic oil for that. Couldn't care less about extending my OCIs to the limit. I also have a HUGE stash of AZ clearance oil so RECYCLING good synthetic oil that I got for $2 a quart isn't hurtful to me. If anything, another BITOGer will benefit from my recycled synthetic oil if they use Valvoline's Nextgen recycled oil. Hahahahahaha
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem

You have two choices when it comes to synthetic oil. Either use it for it's longer life and extend the OCI's or use it for its strong oil properties and keep dumping it at 5k intervals while benefiting from better engine protection / cleaniness.

I personally go with the better engine protection and use synthetic oil for that. Couldn't care less about extending my OCIs to the limit.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem

I personally go with the better engine protection and use synthetic oil for that. Couldn't care less about extending my OCIs to the limit. I also have a HUGE stash of AZ clearance oil so RECYCLING good synthetic oil that I got for $2 a quart isn't hurtful to me. If anything, another BITOGer will benefit from my recycled synthetic oil if they use Valvoline's Nextgen recycled oil. Hahahahahaha
crackmeup2.gif

This^^^^. You are not wasting money with synthetic. The slight increase in synthetic mpg pays for itself over whatever oci you use.

Right, especially $2 a quart synthetic oil from AZ Clearance. I think he's already ahead money wise vs someone buying a jug at Wally World.

Besides, if he recycles the oil afterward, it's technically not going to waste anyway.
thumbsup2.gif

If ur Focus is running in good condition, no oil leaks, etc, then I think u can go 10k OCIs w syn oil. Blends I would stay no more than 7500 mile OCIs

I am presently doing a long(er) interval on my car. I'm about 5000 miles in already.

I wonder if I should shoot for 10k, or more! Car drinks zero oil, which is amazing.

Thanks for the continued responses.

A lot of these make me feel better, and that's a big part of what changing oil is about, lol!

My car also doesn't consume a noticable amount in a 5k interval, it seems to have dropped a bit beyond 5k but nothing to be concerned about.

I think I will do a 7-7.5k interval going forward. Still conservative but stretching a little.

On a side note, I will probably do this with the Mountaineer too, but in it's 7k it's 'needed' about 2 quarts top off. It's hard to tell on it because it's not at Max after an oci.

As good as it is to have an engine that doesn't consume oil, if an engine does sip (not leak) say half a quart in 5k miles, the top off with fresh oil adds new additives and technically makes it easier to extend the OCI because the oil gets a boost of live midway thru.

But obviously if you start with a strong oil to begin with, then it doesn't need any help to go the distance, so it works either way you look at it.

M1-EP has been proven to last well beyond 10k. I just switched to it and plan to run it about 12-13k mile.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
M1-EP has been proven to last well beyond 10k. I just switched to it and plan to run it about 12-13k mile.

A vote of confidence for M1 EP!

I suppose that if it is not getting burned off that it may be good for consideration.. because, with really long intervals, if you usethe 1 quart every 1000 miles or so considered normal, then new oil is going in about every 5000k. Which is introducing new oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back