Super Tech prices skyrocketing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go-now we have to put up with "inflation rants" threads. Dealer rants have taken a back seat.

I suspect this new inflation cycle will draw a new line between the "haves" and "have not".

More like add napalm to a dumpster fire.

With the average American car at 9+ years old and insane used car prices...that means millions of people have just spent $5,000 - $15,000 on a new-to-them used car that is going to need major work within 24 months (alternator, starter, suspension, blown gasket, etc). At a time when supposedly xx% (I forget the number, but something significant) of people can't afford an emergency $500 bill.

And that was pre-covid. Not when everything from eggs to washer fluid have gone up 50%+ in 2 years.

Think about it, Walmart prices their oil cheap to get you into the stores. Oil is a loss leader at WalMart.

So, this is concerning that it is raising so fast....

well if you think about it, it is wise to go beast mode with double bypass filters, use this oil, and change it every 25k and use the cheapest filters, while this might be an issue for tbn, not sure, but new engine cheaper than new oil.

1644035083535.jpg

Everything is going up, mainly due to circumstances that of which no one is understandably allowed to speak of on a public forum.

But yes, I bought Super Tech for my sisters Civic to do a short OCI and saw that Valvoline full synthetic was only $2.00 more.

1 year ago Super Tech's ADVANCED Full Synthetic, not their regular Full Synthetic, was $17.98 for 6 gallons. Last November, it was $18.90ish for 6 gallons. Tonight I saw it in Walmart for $26.50 for 6 gallons.

Valvoline's Advanced Full Synthetic, a better motor oil than Super Tech, was on sale for $22ish for 6 gallons...but their 1 quart of the same oil was over $8.00, for a single gallon. I bought 12 gallons of the on sale Valvoline. Fortunately Mobil 1's oil filters haven't inflated at all, still $9.50.

Now that is just the oil. I bought a packet of chicken breasts....for over $18.00. For a single pack.
This post could be a lot of fun responding to, but I'll refrain....

I couldn't get past the chicken though. $18 for a SINGLE pack? Mercy. Maybe the packs got larger?

Strangely chicken breast is the one thing I haven't seen go up (I just knocked on wood for those wondering).. Still $1.99 a pound here, but I have no idea what a "pack" costs.

More like add napalm to a dumpster fire.

With the average American car at 9+ years old and insane used car prices...that means millions of people have just spent $5,000 - $15,000 on a new-to-them used car that is going to need major work within 24 months (alternator, starter, suspension, blown gasket, etc). At a time when supposedly xx% (I forget the number, but something significant) of people can't afford an emergency $500 bill.

And that was pre-covid. Not when everything from eggs to washer fluid have gone up 50%+ in 2 years.
I'm not sure and I won't ask; it is impertinent to BITOG anyone's income level; but I'm BITOG surprised that a member would say "need major work within 24 months (alternator, starter, suspension, blown gasket, etc)." My perspective is any of the basic stuff you mentioned is expected maintenance. "Major work" is a transmission rebuild or frame straightening; not a "starter, alternator." Are you the sort of chap who goes to your local shop to have the air checked in your tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back