super tech high mileage cas#

Status
Not open for further replies.
got this from wal marts msds. this is for the 10w30.

distillattes,hydotreated heavey paraffinic 40-70% cas# 64742-54-7
severely solvent refined light paraffinic petroleum oil 3-7% cas# 64741-89-5
severely solvent refined heavy paraffinic petroleum oil 1-5% cas# 64741-88-4
zinc compounds 0.1-1% cas# n982

can you experts decifer this?

quote:

Originally posted by leel:

Don't think I would use it on a bi-cycle chain. I don't like anything to do with paraffin in my oil.

quote:

Originally posted by SpunBearing:

quote:

Originally posted by leel:

Don't think I would use it on a bi-cycle chain. I don't like anything to do with paraffin in my oil.

Wow an expert opinion.
pat.gif
thumbsdown.gif

I'm thinking that means its mostly group II or III? Isnt that what hydrotreated means?
The problem I have with that is it only adds to 83% if it had 70%.. so what is the rest of the
ingredients?

quote:

Wow an expert opinion.
pat.gif
thumbsdown.gif

lol.gif

Congrats, Spun on succumbing to QS's "Myth #1!"

From Quakerstate's website
quote:

http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/carcare/whattoknow.asp

Myth #1

Paraffinic oils cause engine sludge.
Oils from paraffin-based crude are loaded with wax and create engine sludge.
Paraffin base stocks cause sludge.
"x" Brand of motor oil causes sludge, varnish and/or engine deposits.
“Paraffinic” motor oils cause wax-like deposits on the underside of the oil fill cap.

Fact
There are two basic types of crude oil, naphthenic and paraffinic. Most conventional engine lubricating oils today are made from paraffinic crude oil. Paraffinic crude oil is recognized for its ability to resist thinning and thickening with temperature, as well as its lubricating properties and resistance to oxidation (sludge forming tendencies). In the refining process, the paraffinic crude oil is broken down into many different products. One of the products is wax, and others are gasoline, kerosene, lubricating oils, asphalt, etc. Virtually every oil marketer uses paraffinic base stocks in blending its engine oil products.

Many people believe the term paraffinic to be synonymous with wax. Some have the misconception that paraffinic oils will coat the engine with a wax film that can result in engine deposits. This is not true. The confusion exists because paraffinic molecules can form wax crystals at low temperatures. In lubricating oils, this wax is removed in a refining process called dewaxing. Wax is a premium product obtained from crude oil, and in order to ensure that we produce the highest quality base stocks available, Quaker State® removes the maximum amount of wax possible during the refining process. The end result is a motor oil product formulated with premium lubricating base oil.

quote:

Originally posted by SpunBearing:

lol.gif

You better find a 100% synthetic ester based oil, or a 100% vegitable oil, then. If you use any natural or synthetic hydrocarbon based oil it is loaded with paraffin.

According to older posts, distillattes, hydotreated heavey paraffinic 40-70% cas# 64742-54-7 is a Group 2, 2+, or 3 with a VI of 94 to 120.

SpunBearing, some of the well aimed barbs aside, you'd be well advised to familiarize yourself with this site's "search" function using the key word "paraffin". There's a LOT of good information archived here to quickly bring you up to speed. ("Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.")

I'm not an expert, just will pass on my interpretation of the MSDS.

As ebaker indicated, Cas 64742-54-7 is the Grp II base oil - it's probably not a Grp III for this application.

The 64741-88-4 is a heavier cut of Grp 1 solvent refined base oil, like a 600 neutral, that is approximately 12 cSt at 100C.

64741-89-5 is light viscosity Grp 1 that I don't recognize. With the relatively small amount, it could be associated with one of the additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back