Grease for Long Term Storage - Reaction with Steel & Aluminum

Hi All. I'm hoping you can educate me and also help others avoid a costly mistake down the line. A huge thank you in advance for any info you can offer.

I need to store guns/parts for ~10 years. I've been brushing on "RIG Universal Gun Grease" petrolatum/sulfonate grease. It comes in a big jar and cleans up easily. From what I read, it's an old school formulation and more storage/corrosion inhibiting grease (or at least the marketing dept says so) instead of anti-wear.
Parts then get wrapped in PE foam and finally into 5mil aluminized poly bags and sealed with O2 and desiccant. I'm right on the coast so I'm ocd about moisture & corrosion. I've had parts saturated in machining oil totally rusted within a year.
The more I learn about greases, and specifically this grease, the more I think I made a huge mistake.

SDS Composition: Birchwood Casey RIG Grease
1- PETROLATUM: CAS 8009-03-8 > 60-75%
2- SODIUM ALKYL ARYL SULFONATE: CAS 93820-59-8 > 10-20%
3- DISTILLATES, PETROLEUM, HYDROTREATED MIDDLE: CAS 64742-46-7 > 1-10%
4- DISTILLATES, HYDROTREATED LIGHT NAPHTHENIC: CAS 64742-53-6 > 1-10%

First issue was when I brushed this grease onto an anodized aluminum receiver by accident (while coating a steel barrel) and the scent immediately changed. It was a very distinct chemical smell, almost like a roll of freshly developed film. On steel, it smells the same as in the jar; totally different when on anodizing. I thought this can't be good so I started researching the reaction/cause/petroleum sulfonates and ended up here with further questions and concerns.
My concern is this grease may oxidize and harm / discolor / corrode anodized aluminum and now also any steel over long term storage. So a few questions for the experts smarter than I:
1 - Is this formulation unstable and will it oxidize / breakdown into acetic acid, other acids/salts etc? If breakdown is likely, is this a valid concern or it is on a small scale that it should not be a major issue?
2 - What exactly is Petroleum/Sodium Sulfonate? Do Sulfonates harm anodizing/aluminum over a long term?
3 - What about the PH of this grease? Is there an easy way to determine? and could that be responsible for the smell once it hits aluminum? Is PH even a concern on aluminum once anodized and sealed? (I read Aluminum oxide film is stable when pH is between about 4.0 and 8.5)
4 - Are any other listed ingredients incompatible with Anodized aluminum? (dimethyl sulfoxide less than 3%)? What about incompatibilities with steel?
5 - Is there a specific aluminum grease (ph compatible, anti-corrosion) that will also work on steel that you could recommend? Or are they like cutting fluids, separate formulas for ferrous and nonferrous?

The MSDS specifically names SODIUM ALKYL ARYL SULFONATE but the CAS# 93820-59-8 comes back as "BENZENESULFONIC ACID, DI-C10-18-ALKYL DERIVATIVES, SODIUM SALTS"
6 - Are these ingredients harmful to steel / aluminum? And why the discrepancy on the SDS?

All aluminum is 6000/7000 series \with a black hardcoat Type III anodize + sealed finish. I'd like to avoid discoloration and damage during storage.
Also, these assemblies can't be separated, otherwise that would have solved the issue altogether.
I started several test pieces in the atmosphere as an experiment. After a week, I see a slight change in the anodizing to a more grey tint (from black. The chem smell does go away. However, that doesn't indicate too much for long term and the aluminum underneath the anodize.
Thank you in advance for any advice you have.

Grease MSDS.jpg

1 - Is this formulation unstable and will it oxidize / breakdown into acetic acid, other acids/salts etc? If breakdown is likely, is this a valid concern or it is on a small scale that it should not be a major issue?

Sulfonates are a common rust inhibitor for steel and yes is old school they are alkaline and tho I think are stable for AL , I have never soaked a part in them and looked 10 years latter. Safer would be petrolastium wax or vasaline in that they are neutral with no acids or alkali and if the coating stays intack it think would be a safer alternative

2 - What exactly is Petroleum/Sodium Sulfonate? Do Sulfonates harm anodizing/aluminum over a long term?

Old way was as i remember was to react petroleum by poducts with sulfuric acid then nutrialize with sodium cautic soda they are a salt and can cause some staining.

3 - What about the PH of this grease? Is there an easy way to determine? and could that be responsible for the smell once it hits aluminum? Is PH even a concern on aluminum once anodized and sealed? (I read Aluminum oxide film is stable when pH is between about 4.0 and 8.5) The grease would be aklaine it can be messured but not worth it use a Neutral grease like pet wax.

4 - Are any other listed ingredients incompatible with Anodized aluminum? (dimethyl sulfoxide less than 3%)? What about incompatibilities with steel?

teally do not know AL if keep dry and from air will not stain or corrode

5 - Is there a specific aluminum grease (ph compatible, anti-corrosion) that will also work on steel that you could recommend? Or are they like cutting fluids, separate formulas for ferrous and nonferrous?

Not a grease guy sorry search product data sheets or again get some pet wax/ Vaseline and seal from air would be my idea

The MSDS specifically names SODIUM ALKYL ARYL SULFONATE but the CAS# 93820-59-8 comes back as "BENZENESULFONIC ACID, DI-C10-18-ALKYL DERIVATIVES, SODIUM SALTS"

More chemical name for sultanate look up Pilot chemical products Aristonate

s6 - Are these ingredients harmful to steel / aluminum? And why the discrepancy on the SDS?

How about using 'cosmoline' ?
It's what the Military uses for storing weapons long term.

I also use it for undercoating high-wash areas on my vehicle.
The best stuff there is for long term storage of weapons.

Thank you all for such excellent info and suggestions, so quickly. I wanted to use cosmoline originally, until I saw RIG and thought it looked less toxic, easier to remove and easier to apply, especially indoors.

It looks like plain old Vaseline for aluminum parts is the plan.
Do you think Vaseline would outperform/last longer than RIG on steel parts as well, or is the additional protection from the rust inhibitor worth using? RIG is mostly petrolatum, but likely less refined?

I recently opened a really low viscosity jar of RIG (almost pourable at room temp) and melted in a little non-clorinated parrafin to thicken it up. Can I still use this jar or might I have oxidized it too much by heating it above 140F?
Any risk of a bad/harmful new compound by the paraffin addition?

I've been using fluid film for storage, actually. Works great. Started using Breakfree Collector recently, which seems to be great but not that much time on it.

Back