Boeshield T9 MSDS - trying to understand chemicals and their uses

Been trying to educate myself on common chemicals I see in various MSDS's, curious question on Boeshield T9:

For context, Boeshield is a corrosion inhibitor developed by Boeing. Seems to be something a lot of folks use to protect tools, etc.

Here is the MSDS:
1667039501053.png

First question, what specifically is "distillates (petroleum) hydrotreated light"? -> isn't everything coming out of crude distillation technically a distillate? I thought things are either LPG, Gasoline, Naphtha, Parrafin, Kerosene, etc? What would these be used for, a solvent?

Similarly, I understand that Naphtha heavy is C7-9 carbon atoms, hydrotreated usually to protect the expensive reformer catalyst. I know that Naphtha is often used as a solvent - I'm guessing in this case it's a solvent for thinning out the Mineral Oil and paraffin wax?

Sulfonic acids sodium salts -> are these what are known as 'Alkyl sulfates'? I understand they are used as surfactants (reduce the surface tension of liquids) -> would this be also making the oil/wax better at penetrating the metal pores?

To summarize, if I'm interpreting the ingredients correctly, seems like Boeshield T9 is just mineral oil + wax + solvents (thinners/carriers). The solvents evaporate leaving behind the mineral oil and wax. I understand that mineral oil doesn't really polymerize (remains quite liquid on the surface unlike other oils).

In that case, isn't this just glorified Bollistol (without the unique smell), something that's been produced since WW1 and costs a fraction of the price? 😅

Ballistol summarized MSDS:
  • Pharmaceutical white oil
  • Oleic acid
  • C-5 alcohols
  • different essential oils to perfume Ballistol
Seems like the biggest difference is that Ballistol uses alcohols as a solvent/cleaner instead of petroleum products ('distillates' and heavy naphtha in Boeshield)

Am I on point here or missing things?

Boeshield uses petroleum solvents "dissolve" the wax, so it has a somewhat of a penetrating oil ability, then the solvents evaporate leaving a wax film behind.

Work great on door hinges, bicycle chains, and lubing the sunroof tracks on my previous car.

Back