Super tech filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by blupupher

The current Champ made ST are blue.

The Wix made were white.

Prior to that, they were black and were Champ made.

Yep, and I still have a few "black champ labs" filters left over from when they went on closeout last time.

I never could get happy or enthusiastic about E-core filters..........

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Originally Posted by ad244
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Your real first clue should be when you
look down at the side of the box and the verbiage "Efficiency rating based on removing particles greater than
30 microns"

Is that good?

It's an oil filter that costs $2.96, that will filter your oil. It won't void your warranty, as long as you use it according to manufacturer's recommendations.

It is hot and sexy with a lot of marketing? No.

Will it do the job? Yes.

If an aftermarket filter is used while a car is under warranty, the car manufacturer could in fact deny engine damage warranty and make you go after the filter manufacturer. Safest thing to do to ensure that potential quagmire doesn't happen is use OEM filters while the car is under factory warranty.

Could they go after the quick lubes for installing a non OEM filter? Seeing that they use the cheapest filter they can get, one would think there would be a major issue with filters going bad. Plus a majority of vehicle owners use quick lube shops for oil changes.

Originally Posted by Rat407

If an aftermarket filter is used while a car is under warranty, the car manufacturer could in fact deny engine damage warranty and make you go after the filter manufacturer. Safest thing to do to ensure that potential quagmire doesn't happen is use OEM filters while the car is under factory warranty.

Could they go after the quick lubes for installing a non OEM filter? Seeing that they use the cheapest filter they can get, one would think there would be a major issue with filters going bad. Plus a majority of vehicle owners use quick lube shops for oil changes.

If the filter was the cause of the failure, then it would be the oil change place that would be responsible for it. Even if they (quick lube) used an OEM filter a dealer would look to them if there was an issue.

Has this ever actually happened????

I remember Fram "Extra Guard" PH filters were BANNED from use on Cummins Diesels for a while, maybe 15-20 years ago??

That's the only time I have ever heard of anyone going after an oil filter company to satisfy a claim.

Originally Posted by Linctex

I remember Fram "Extra Guard" PH filters were BANNED from use on Cummins Diesels for a while, maybe 15-20 years ago??

That's the only time I have ever heard of anyone going after an oil filter company to satisfy a claim.

I bet it has happened. Most car manufacturers will try to deny warranty for any reason they can find. Of course using a quality aftermarket filter is low risk to causing any problems, but there are always 3-sigma cases.

Assume someone slapped on a $1.97 RockAuto off brand name filter on their new car on it's first oil change, and the filter imploded and pieces went into the engine and caused major damage.

Why would the dealer honor a factory warranty for that situation? The dealer would tell the car owner to go after the aftermarket filter maker to cover the damage caused by their oil filter.

The dealer would probably say the same thing, even if it was a well known brand name aftermarket filter. All the big filter makers have a warranty that covers engine damage if their filter was the actual cause of any engine damage.

Originally Posted by Linctex

I bet it's happened. Most car manufacturers will try to deny warranty for any reason they can find.

Assume someone slapped on a $1.97 RockAuto off brand name filter on their new car on it's first oil change, and the filter imploded and pieces went into the engine and caused major damage.

Why would the dealer honor a factory warranty for that situation? The dealer would tell the car owner to go after the aftermarket filter maker to cover the damage caused by their oil filter.

The dealer would probably say the same thing, even if it was a well known brand name aftermarket filter. All the big filter makers have a warranty that covers engine damage if their filter was the actual cause of any engine damage.

Any excuse is good enough when its going to save an engine rebuild.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
They are made by Champ
Some may be, but the ST10358 cartridge for my Toyota appears very nearly identical in construction to the corresponding Fram Extra Guard 10358, US-made version. The box construction is also identical. (Chinese-made Extra Guards of the same number are different.) With the Fram label, they cost over twice as much as the ST10358.
Does it look like this?
Because that is definitely a Champ. It's possible that Fram sources that filter from Champ, and in fact, Fram and Champ used to be the same company. ...
Yes. That's interesting; thanks! End caps and general construction look identical to the US-made version of the Extra Guard (which doesn't prove the media is identical). Do you also know who makes the corresponding made-in-China Tough Guard 10358? Or the Ultra version?

Originally Posted by bbhero
^^^^^

Exactly right... I think the 9688 is a interesting design... Definitely strong I'd bet.

Not very strong, for it hasn't a silicone ADBV. The Red Guy Circle is a must-have, when applying it to the under warranty Kia/Hyundai fits.

Had Supertech charged even a $1.50 more for the red silicone 9688, they would have-had me for a customer. But now they lost me forever, for NAPA Pro Selects with red silicone ADBVs are now $3.49 everyday.

Last edited:
It should be kept in mind that for the ST9688, unlike Fram, no distinction is made for 9688 and 3593a applications so that application meant for both. So it fits and spec'd for more than Hyun/Kia applications. Wix and Purolator do the same, 5/1334 and 14459. The former looks to have adopted the M&H made in S Korea design.

I used and cut one. That particular one had an actual bypass valve on the dome end and metal endcaps. I put it above the fram extra guard because it didn't crush like a soggy fortune cookie in my one hand as the ocod did and the end caps were metal and weren't brittle nor did they pull off with 2 fingers like the ocod did.
So it's not the least of the filters on shelf at Walmart in my book.

I like them. The e core I ran on my truck was just as straight as a wire backed filter and it's cheaper to run than the Ultra.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Originally Posted by ad244
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Your real first clue should be when you
look down at the side of the box and the verbiage "Efficiency rating based on removing particles greater than
30 microns"

Is that good?

It's an oil filter that costs $2.96, that will filter your oil. It won't void your warranty, as long as you use it according to manufacturer's recommendations.

It is hot and sexy with a lot of marketing? No.

Will it do the job? Yes.

I mean this totally respectfully,
That is patently NOT TRUE. The Magnuson-Moss expressly forbids this type of situation UNLESS, the manufacturer provides, {in this case}, the filter for FREE. As long as the aftermarket filter is appropriate for the application, and it was not defective in some way, no problem. If that were true, aftermarket filters would not sell well at all, nor would air filters, oil, ATF, yatta, yatta, yatta. Now, obviously, if the aftermarket filter was somehow defective, then sure, the manufacturer would have no liability.
This is why we have certifications, .. manufacturers provide specific "specifications" that oil, filters, ATF etc must meet to be acceptable for use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bchannell
I mean this totally respectfully,
That is patently NOT TRUE. The Magnuson-Moss expressly forbids this type of situation UNLESS, the manufacturer provides, {in this case}, the filter for FREE. As long as the aftermarket filter is appropriate for the application, and it was not defective in some way, no problem. If that were true, aftermarket filters would not sell well at all, nor would air filters, oil, ATF, yatta, yatta, yatta. Now, obviously, if the aftermarket filter was somehow defective, then sure, the manufacturer would have no liability.
This is why we have certifications, .. manufacturers provide specific "specifications" that oil, filters, ATF etc must meet to be acceptable for use.

This part of your answer validates the other posters comment, that the mfg [could] make you go after the filter mfg. As I read his comment, he doesn't imply that the car mfg has an absolute right to deny a warranty claim. He could have better qualified his statement by saying that a mfg can only deny a claim if they can demonstrate the aftermarket product or improper installation of an aftermarket product, was the cause of damage to a warrantied part. A lot of people overlook the "improper installation" of an aftermarket product.

I've attached a link to the FAQ Bulletin issued by the FTC on the topic of automobile aftermarket parts.

FAQ - Use of Aftermarket Parts

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Not very strong, for it hasn't a silicone ADBV.

More baseless drivel. Just because silicone is preferred because of a handful of stories about hardened ADBVs (on applications that probably mount threads up anyways) doesn't mean nitrile is not a valid material choice in probably 90%+ of applications. Two of the most respected filter manufacturers, Donaldson and Baldwin, both nearly exclusively use nitrile ADBVs. If they were causing a warranty claim you can bet it would get changed to silicone, since 1 warranty claim to rebuild an engine would likely pay for 10 lifetimes of filters, especially on some of the Diesel engines these companies' filters have built their brand reputation on.

Just like conventional or syn-blend oil, nitrile is perfectly fine for filter construction when used as intended by the manufacturer.

Problem is, people endlessly repeat FALSE information over and over. Some people read it, then repeat it.

There are those who insist that a car can come with an engine failure, the mechanic sees a non-OEM filter, and they get out their big, old "DENIED" stamp on the warranty paperwork. It's simply not true.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Problem is, people endlessly repeat FALSE information over and over. Some people read it, then repeat it.

There are those who insist that a car can come with an engine failure, the mechanic sees a non-OEM filter, and they get out their big, old "DENIED" stamp on the warranty paperwork. It's simply not true.

+1

Sure, if you look around hard enough you can find substandard OEM parts mfgs, but at the same time many aftermarket mfgs are OE suppliers. So it cuts both ways... ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Not very strong, for it hasn't a silicone ADBV.

More baseless drivel. Just because silicone is preferred because of a handful of stories about hardened ADBVs (on applications that probably mount threads up anyways) doesn't mean nitrile is not a valid material choice in probably 90%+ of applications. Two of the most respected filter manufacturers, Donaldson and Baldwin, both nearly exclusively use nitrile ADBVs. If they were causing a warranty claim you can bet it would get changed to silicone, since 1 warranty claim to rebuild an engine would likely pay for 10 lifetimes of filters, especially on some of the Diesel engines these companies' filters have built their brand reputation on.

Just like conventional or syn-blend oil, nitrile is perfectly fine for filter construction when used as intended by the manufacturer.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

+1

Sure, if you look around hard enough you can find substandard OEM parts mfgs, but at the same time many aftermarket mfgs are OE suppliers. So it cuts both ways... ...

All of you are making good points, actually great points.

Just because a filter has a silicone ADBV does not necessarily mean that the valve will keep oil from draining back.

I had a WIX Premium filter ADBV fail to keep oil from draining back. After about 2500 miles of service, the startup rattle was obnoxious so I changed it. Problem solved.

Fast forward 1 year. Same vehicle but the filter was an Autozone STP eCore with a nitrile ADBV. The filter lasted though a 6000 mile OCI. The vehicle sat in the airport parking lot for 7 days over Thanksgiving and again 5 days over Christmas. No startup rattle with this filter. Champ Labs got this filter right. I would expect similar results with SuperTech.

Now, having said this, I will probably be stoned by the WIX/NAPA Gold fans.
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back