Napa ProSelect 27356 cut open.

This NPS comes off an older neighbor lady 2004 Honda Civic LX with just over 70k original miles. I can only guesstimate the miles based on the indy shop's window sticker. Pretty sure they go by 3k mi. oci so, between 5-5.5k miles on whatever bulk oil shop uses. When I've cut open NPS before, they were Wix based with nitrile adbv and coil compression spring. This one obviously Purolator 'type' construction, but Wix has been moving in that direction. I was very surprised to see the NPS with a silicone adbv, nice. Be interesting to know if made at Puro plant in Fayetteville, or Wix plant in Gastonia. With M&H, no telling. But this specific NPS jobber, very respectable. Super Tech 10k Full Synthetic 5w20 and Super Tech MP7317 oil filter went back.

P1020446.JPGP1020437.JPGP1020442.JPGP1020444.JPG

That is a Purolator. The spider thing is the most obvious clue.
Yes, as noted in the OP, it's Puro "type" construction, the flat spring bypass just one of the features. Whether made at old Puro plant or Wix plant, not so evident. I can say comparing it to the older Wix based 27356 I cut open, the element is larger on topic because it doesn't have a protruding outlet flange taking up space, like the Wix. Though I didn't measure, confident more media area with topic. And then there's the silicone adbv with this one too.

It says Gastonia, NC on the side of the can......
Yeah I saw that, but I'm just not sure that 100% indicative of made at the Wix factory. I can't rule it out though, could well be. And yes, unfortunately M&H has chosen to move some of these to Mexico. The silicone adbv is nice, but as fast things change wouldn't count on it being permanent.

Yeah I saw that, but I'm just not sure that 100% indicative of made at the Wix factory. I can't rule it out though, could well be. And yes, unfortunately M&H has chosen to move some of these to Mexico. The silicone adbv is nice, but as fast things change wouldn't count on it being permanent.
Ah, I understand now. I would imagine whichever M&H brand claims that NC factory. But I don't know if that's Purolator or Wix though.

EDIT: It's WIX that claims That location not Purolator. Even the street address is "One WIX Way".

This NPS comes off an older neighbor lady 2004 Honda Civic LX with just over 70k original miles. I can only guesstimate the miles based on the indy shop's window sticker. Pretty sure they go by 3k mi. oci so, between 5-5.5k miles on whatever bulk oil shop uses. When I've cut open NPS before, they were Wix based with nitrile adbv and coil compression spring. This one obviously Purolator 'type' construction, but Wix has been moving in that direction. I was very surprised to see the NPS with a silicone adbv, nice. Be interesting to know if made at Puro plant in Fayetteville, or Wix plant in Gastonia. With M&H, no telling. But this specific NPS jobber, very respectable. Super Tech 10k Full Synthetic 5w20 and Super Tech MP7317 oil filter went back.

View attachment 180125View attachment 180126View attachment 180127View attachment 180128
Looks good, Thank You for cut and post

Ah, I understand now. I would imagine whichever M&H brand claims that NC factory. But I don't know if that's Purolator or Wix though.

EDIT: It's WIX that claims That location not Purolator. Even the street address is "One WIX Way".
That's the M&H Wix plant address in Gastonia. Big M&H sign on the plant but still says Wix too. Can be seen from I-85. You've convinced me topic NPS made there. (y) That being the case, they've really adopted Puro construction, at least with the topic NPS.

Last edited:
Yes, as noted in the OP, it's Puro "type" construction, the flat spring bypass just one of the features. Whether made at old Puro plant or Wix plant, not so evident. I can say comparing it to the older Wix based 27356 I cut open, the element is larger on topic because it doesn't have a protruding outlet flange taking up space, like the Wix. Though I didn't measure, confident more media area with topic. And then there's the silicone adbv with this one too.

Also, the dotted line date code is Purolator.

Wix's date code looks like this:
img_5148-jpg.80378

That's the M&H Wix plant address in Gastonia. Big M&H sign on the plant but still says Wix too. Can be seen from I-85. You've convinced me topic NPS made there. (y) That being the case, they've really adopted Puro construction, at least with the topic NPS.
Interesting about the two different signs but one does own the other & I bet they want to make that clear. I'm sure they are doing more consolidation as time goes on. It may be a Chevy vs GMC similar construction but a different grill & name tag. :LOL: It's an evolving world we live in.

Also, the dotted line date code is Purolator.

Wix's date code looks like this:
Not sure what you mean by dotted line code with Puro. Puro plant date codes normally start with an F for Fayetteville plant fopllowed by series of letters and numbers. But, if they make a filter for someone like Motorcraft, not true. Wix has normally has used a more traditional date code format, such as that shown on the topic NPS. Majority evidence here, even though very traditional Puro (not Wix) construction type, likely made at Wix plant. Iirc, another member who lives near Puro said plant also says M&H but Purolator also still shows a presence.

In any case, wherever it's made, they got this 27356 right.

Not sure what you mean by dotted line code with Puro. Puro plant date codes normally start with an F for Fayetteville plant fopllowed by series of letters and numbers. But, if they make a filter for someone like Motorcraft, not true. Wix has normally has used a more traditional date code format, such as that shown on the topic NPS. Majority evidence here, even though very traditional Puro (not Wix) construction type, likely made at Wix plant. Iirc, another member who lives near Puro said plant also says M&H but Purolator also still shows a presence.

In any case, wherever it's made, they got this 27356 right.

I mean that the code is written in dotted lines. The font itself is dotted lines.

p1020444-jpg.180128

Correct. I've only seen it on Purolators.
You 'may' now start seeing more of them on "Wix" label and Wix made filters now, like topic. As an aside, that bypass type tested by a member AuthorEditor for psi accuracy. It checked out. It was a very well done test (I was impressed at least), accounting for both Force and Area. If interested, you can see it HERE. I could be wrong, but I thought maybe I'd seen flat spring bypass on a made in China filter posted here, maybe an M&H made filter. Not certain.
I mean that the code is written in dotted lines. The font itself is dotted lines.
OK I get it, u meant font used. Well, that adds more confusion because those have come out of the Puro plant. But, not the code format as used on Purolator, and the Bosch Premium made by Puro. Again, whatever plant. nice NPS jobber filter here.

I've seen those on Japan Toyota OE Denso also. Maybe 15 years ago.
For awhile, 'some' Toyota label OEM filter were made by Purolator. Quite possible that's where flat spring seen before on them. Don't know if any Toyota OFs still made by them or not.

Not the first time the 45rpm vinyl center disc comparison seen here. Not everyone would remember those. 😉

For awhile, 'some' Toyota label OEM filter were made by Purolator. Quite possible that's where flat spring seen before on them. Don't know if any Toyota OFs still made by them or not.

Not the first time the 45rpm vinyl center disc comparison seen here. Not everyone would remember those. 😉
In the mid 2000's I was servicing our Rav4 and a Yaris. I was sourcing JAPAN Toyota OE filters**. I may have one cut open kicking around, though my wife told me to throw them out after 17 years in the basement LOL. **the thick "foam" media ones.

like:

90915-10003.jpg

Back