Summer Vacation!

Next time hit up hanging lake. The hike is intense but the scenery is spectacular. It's a little off the beaten path so it's well worth it.
Did that hike several years ago...I thought it was closed down due to folks not respecting the lake, and trying to preserve it? Either way, it was a pretty short, but a little steep for those not used to that type of hike.

Back in 2009, when we still lived in Washington state, I took the three youngest kids on trip to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back for the first time. Just before leaving home the local newspaper had an article about Mesa Verde. We stopped in Cortez for the night and the next day we went up to Mesa Verde. An amazing park that everyone should visit. From there we went to Canyon de Chelly and then the big Grand Canyon hike. The next day I could hardly move, but totally worth it. In fact, I enjoyed it so much I moved down here and have done it multiple times since then. Now I am 69 and the hike a year ago May was my last time. As the great philosopher said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Are we talking Hanging Lake in Glenwood Canyon? Has the trail been reestablished since the rockslide/mudslide in July ‘21 or is there an alternate route?

Are we talking Hanging Lake in Glenwood Canyon? Has the trail been reestablished since the rockslide/mudslide in July ‘21 or is there an alternate route?

That is what I was referring to. It looks like it is open again, but you have to purchase a pass.

Thanks for visiting Iowa! It is a great place to live and raise a family!
I usually visit yearly as I was born there and my entire family is around the Cedar Rapids and Lamont area with some in Ottumwa.

However... You can keep your winters lol. Summers are fine as long as the humidity isn't too bad.

I usually visit yearly as I was born there and my entire family is around the Cedar Rapids and Lamont area with some in Ottumwa.

However... You can keep your winters lol. Summers are fine as long as the humidity isn't too bad.

Agree, I do like some of our harsh winter season...there isn't many times more peaceful than standing in a snow storm with no wind at 0 degree F. So silent, so still, so peaceful, and not cold with the right gear.

I just wish winter was half as long and summer was twice as long ;-)

Agree, I do like some of our harsh winter season...there isn't many times more peaceful than standing in a snow storm with no wind at 0 degree F. So silent, so still, so peaceful, and not cold with the right gear.

I just wish winter was half as long and summer was twice as long ;-)
I agree with all that. We have our share of snow storms but within a day or so here in metro Denver, the sun's out and the streets are clear. I have a soft spot for summer in the country though. Some of my best childhood memories are spending months of summer vacation on my grandfather's farm.

Back