suggestions for CHEAP reliable transport

Status
Not open for further replies.
acura integra or acura rsx

Ive had both for totaling 12 years/180k miles. They are the best hatchbacks money can buy and they are super reliable and easy to work on.
35 mpg+ highway on either one when cruising at a cool 60-65 mph

I know folks here have heard it a million times, but I love my Soul, and it has been almost flawless.

Don't know if 2010-2011's are in the price range, but you might find one with higher mileage that is.

Hatchback, sits up a bit higher...tough little buggers. Try to find one!

I (accurately) maintain that "cost per mile" is the only metric worth considering.

There is no magic with regard to cost per mile. Cars are not free and capital costs (purchase costs) often are not the major cost in vehicle ownership. (unless grandma donates a low mileage cream puff, every vehicle has a capital cost per mile that does not vary more than about 5c/mi whether used or new) Remember, used cars cost less because they have less life left.

Little things like:
Fuel
Insurance
Repairs
Registration/emmisions testing and non critical related repairs
Consumable items such as tires/brakes/fluids

All play a role in real world costs. Let's look at costs per mile as a valid way to justify car ownership.

Let's also realize that overall cost is largely based on the class of vehicle chosen. The larger and more capable vehicles simply cost more per mile. A V8 powered truck may cost 3 times more to own than a Toyota Yaris over it's lifespan.

TLDR: There is a reason the IRS allows 58 cents per mile for miles driven. As that number is really close to the real world costs. Period, end of story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
A modest mile Prius, just a few years old, probably comes closest to "lowest cost per mile"

Need to get elejefino to chime in here.

My beater Camry was bought for $1,500, fixed up for another $1,500, and costs under $500 for tags and ins per year. Unfortunately mpg is low (under 30 lately, driven too hard) so I'll get beaten on that cost.

Purchase: $1,500
Total work done over 2.5 years: $3,042
Total fuel: $5,017
Total miles: 63,324
Total cost: $9,560 (minus ins&reg)

That's just under $0.20/mile.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Cujet
A modest mile Prius, just a few years old, probably comes closest to "lowest cost per mile"

Need to get elejefino to chime in here.

My beater Camry was bought for $1,500, fixed up for another $1,500, and costs under $500 for tags and ins per year. Unfortunately mpg is low (under 30 lately, driven too hard) so I'll get beaten on that cost.

Purchase: $1,500
Total work done over 2.5 years: $3,042
Total fuel: $5,017
Total miles: 63,324
Total cost: $9,560 (minus ins&reg)

That's just under $0.20/mile.

Oops--timed out--Sorry eljefino, forgot how to spell your name!
spankme2.gif

So are you guys saying Vibe/Matrix because it's an overall excellent car or is that just because we're talking 'only hatchbacks'? I will someday soon probably get tired of fixing stuff on my Focus and need a reliable-but-boring car to serve as an appliance and I've read a lot of good things about the Vibe/Matrix on this board, and also Toyotas in general.

Originally Posted by earlyre
budget is nearly non-existent.

mom has offered the Impreza, but she doesn't like it...

smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
So are you guys saying Vibe/Matrix because it's an overall excellent car or is that just because we're talking 'only hatchbacks'?

Both.

"Overall excellent" doesn't mean it's not still an econobox that gets mediocre mpg compared to newer econoboxes, but it's a good econobox. It's arguably the most practical car made in the last 15 years, besides the Honda Fit.

Originally Posted by DejaVue

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
So are you guys saying Vibe/Matrix because it's an overall excellent car or is that just because we're talking 'only hatchbacks'?

Both.

"Overall excellent" doesn't mean it's not still an econobox that gets mediocre mpg compared to newer econoboxes, but it's a good econobox. It's arguably the most practical car made in the last 15 years, besides the Honda Fit.

My best Buddy's car,(until recently listed in my sig) is an 03 Vibe.
He bought it in the summer of 2010, with 120k mi, for $5k. (had I lived closer and been able to see it pre-purchase, I'd have told him to run far and quick from it) It was clearly in a front end collision, and hurriedly thrown back together in a "that'll do" fashion. front panel gaps are ALL over the place, no splash shields, or plastic inner fender liners. passenger side window will go down, but not back up, the internal structure for the track/motor is all bent out of shape.
blend door actuator is broken and ticks, fan only works on high...etc.
oh! the A/C Compressor died a couple years back,
and the hood latch wouldn't stay fully down, so i had to install hood pins.

as soon as he bought it, i changed the plugs, and air filter, and up until he moved back down to Cols 2 years ago, i did the oil every 6mos/5k mi or so... AFAIK it hasn't had an OC since the last time i did it ... April of '17(VWB &Wix)

he's approaching 250k mi. everyone who looks at is says he needs to replace it, but it just won't die.
in the 8yrs/100k mi he's owned it, aside from brakes(he did a couple pad &Rotor replacements himself, but took it some where after he had a stuck caliper for 2 years) and tires, the only times he's had it in the shop were for 3 starters, and a MAF sensor.

I'm hoping it will make it to 300k +, just so i can first hand see a well documented issue with these cars(Vibe/Matrix/Corolla of that gen) the odometer just stops @ 299,999.9 It will not tick over to 300,000.

as to practicality, a couple summers back, his mom bought all the mulch bags the gas station near her house had left, (i want to say 40-ish bags, but my brain says it couldn't be that many..maybe only 20-30)...we fit them ALL in the vibe with the back seats folded flat. (suspension was already ruined..)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back