suggestions for CHEAP reliable transport

Status
Not open for further replies.
so a co-worker has been "looking" for a different car for a few years, Currently driving an '03 Forrester. the car she learned to drive in, and has had for all these years...odometer stopped somewhere around 350,000 mi, she thinks it's closer to 450,000 by now. Rusted out, including the fuel tank, can't fill it more than 3/4 or fuel sloshes out, heat BARELY works, but oddly the A/C is fantastic. (still drives it 50mi/day to/from work)
she hates sedans/coupes/vehicles with trunks, HAS to be a Hatchback.(other than that she's not sure WHAT she wants...)
budget is nearly non-existent.

the other day she was talking about going to look at a PT Cruiser at a local "under 10" lot. ( I drive past said lot everyday) the only PT he has is only a year newer than her Forrester(2004).
( I stand Corrected by the dealers website, it says it's a 2007, but i still swear it says 2004 on the windsheild.. http://www.allunderten.com/inventor...make=Chrysler&status=6&vstatus=1)
I flat out told her, you DO NOT WANT a PT. unless it's a 1 owner, and you KNOW it's been babied. "but it's only like $55/mo, and i'm shopping to a price point.."

I also warned her to stay away from more recent Focuses(Foci?) because of the DCT issues..

just a stones throw up the road from that dealer, is another small time local guy, who has another 2003 Forrester, same red, for $2620 or so. looks to be FAR less Rusty( I'm not going to go as far as rust free, it is a 16 yr old subie in OH...) "but I don't want another Forrester, and esp, not a RED one..."

so, what kind of suggestions can y'all come up with?
Let's say, otherwise, simple suggestions welcomed also.

Last edited:
In that price range you're going to be better off trying to find something without rust.

Budgeting $ 1,000 for initial repairs is also a good idea.

Originally Posted by earlyre
she hates sedans/coupes/vehicles with trunks, HAS to be a Hatchback.

And this is why traditional sedans in good shape can be had so cheaply.

Yaris, Mazda2, Fit with high mileage and fewer newer years? In your area young high mile vehicles should be the way to go on a budget.

2003+ Pontiac vibe, automatics only-- the stick shifts blow up.

Chevy HHRs are the slightly better PT cruisers out there, but still a disposable car. They're reliable enough in that they start and get you where you're going, but not fun to work on, and my old one really ate front end parts.

As far as the hatch back, there was less room in that HHR than the Prius that replaced it. Chevy sabotaged the "trunk" with a high floor over the battery and spare tire, and narrowed the sides in with plastic junk so people would buy a Tahoe if they wanted to fit anything.

She's unlucky to be in Ohio where the cars that fail PA inspection get wholesaled.

My advice: Do not recommend any old used car to anybody if you have to see them or work with them (co-worker like you say....).
Very risky, as they will associate you with any major repairs they may have to do. Its all on your shoulders. Maybe if you gave her a good lecture about the enormous risk an old used car is, as in: "Hey, anything from the electronic computers to transmission to the engine, and about 100 other major expensive parts could go at any time. Do not hold me accountable for picking out any car that you don't end up liking, etc."
I tried that one time with gal I was seeing about 9 years ago. We went around and I bought a cheap car she wanted, and, long story short, lots of repairs, and guess who she blamed? ... Don't do it.
Maybe if they sign a "Waiver of Emotional Distress Aimed at the Person who tried to Guess which Used Car would be Great" standard form.

Chevy hhr
Chevy sonic (Daewoo Matiz)
mazda proteje5
mazda3
mazda5
Kia Rio5
Kia Rondo
Pontiac Vibe
Saturn wagons
hyundai accent (in purple please)
mercury/ford sable/taurus wagon
ford focus wagon

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
My advice: Do not recommend any old used car to anybody if you have to see them or work with them (co-worker like you say....).
Very risky, as they will associate you with any major repairs they may have to do. Its all on your shoulders. Maybe if you gave her a good lecture about the enormous risk an old used car is, as in: "Hey, anything from the electronic computers to transmission to the engine, and about 100 other major expensive parts could go at any time. Do not hold me accountable for picking out any car that you don't end up liking, etc."
I tried that one time with gal I was seeing about 9 years ago. We went around and I bought a cheap car she wanted, and, long story short, lots of repairs, and guess who she blamed? ... Don't do it.
Maybe if they sign a "Waiver of Emotional Distress Aimed at the Person who tried to Guess which Used Car would be Great" standard form.

+100!

At the very least, I'd insist on them taking it to an independent mechanic to go over it as well. I've got family that will constantly ask my advice, but never take it.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
They are old now but what about a 1996-2000 Civic hatchback?

Few hatchbacks were made in the 6th generation, they were made in Canada, rusted out faster and were less reliable than the East Liberty, OH made Civics.
Source? I was a mechanic at a Honda dealer before moving onto semis.

As others have said, anything you recommend will eventually pose issues for them. When it does, it will be your fault. I've been down that road too many times.

Walk away.

With about 250,000 miles on a Crashed redneck repaired 2001 aluminum bodied Honda Insight

I can easily say if you live in a "non emissions " area they are about the cheapest car to run. If your just looking to move your rear from point a to point b.

50-80mpg
Aluminum and composite unibody and panels (no rust)
Battery breaks? Pull 3 cables and it runs as a gas car
Minimal maintenance required
Easy to find a nice looking one under $2000

I know a couple guys pushing a million miles on them with original equipment.

They just work and are easy to work on

Ford fiesta manual if you can find one. I wouldn't think a 2011 or 12 would be more than 2 0r 3 grand by now definitely would have over 100k though.

I have to add an older Hyundai Accent would be another excellent choice - cheap, and fairly easy to find IMO.

She's looking for someone to gift her a car, dude. Who spends years looking for a new car but has not saved anything? The worse her car gets the stronger the white knight impulse will be for the eventual sucker.

Those who drive rust bucket fire hazards are not picky over colour and body type.

The 99 Saturn with 78K for $2.5K on that site looks like a deal, if it's not a rust bucket. Just tell her whatever she buys in the price range will have problems. Screen you texting her that, and show it to her the moment anything comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back