Suggestions for 2008 F-150 4.2L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 F-150 4.2L V6 with around 39,500 miles.

Previous owner followed the manual recommendation of 7k OCIs using Motorcraft 5w20 dino and Motorcraft filters.

I'm not sure about using that oil for 7k OCIs, but would prefer to go with the longer interval rather than shrink back to 5k.

I've looked around not found many UOAs applicable to this engine, except one for a new F-150 using PP.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=251568

I'm kicking around Motorcraft Synthetic Blend, PP, or PU.

Any recommendations?

I don't believe there is a 5w20 Motorcraft 'dino'. I've been a great fan of that oil for many years...AFAIK, it's a syn blend.

Stay with it...Ford recommends it for 7-10K OCIs.

Use whatever you want. MotorCraft is great, if you want to increase your OCI's though, QSUD, PP/PU, or M1 0w20 or 5w20 would work very well. PU is a great extended drain oil. It is all in how much you want to pay. MC would be fine but if you want better quality (as I would choose) PP/PU/M1/Edge would be my choices. That is just my preference.

Hallmark, thanks, I didn't realize that. Sure enough, it looks like the only 5w20 is a blend. That makes me feel better about its previous changes.

I have to admit that a 10k OCI is tempting. Its due up at 42k (the 7k OCI). I have a Blackstone kit that I haven't used, so I may send some off to see how its doing.

Not sure what Platinum is going for, but Pep Boys have the 5.1 jug + Bosch filter for 22 (after 7 rebate).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back