Suggestion on antivirus software for Win7 & XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My antivirus vendor PC Tools is bought out by Norton and the subscription license will expire soon. I have heard bad things on Norton and am looking for a replacement for 3 PCs at home. What antivirus software will you recommend in term of effectiveness and price? Are those freely available ones any good? I know there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Thanks,

Simon

Last edited:
Ugh, do not use MSE. For $30/year you can get something far more powerful and with a proven track record such as ESET's NOD32. It's consistently top-rated and has a very low memory/CPU footprint.

I used Avast for a number of years, then I was told how good MSE was and when my Avast licenses expired, I switched to MSE.

Both were free, MSE does not require you to renew like Avast did.

I use Norton and have had no problems. A few years ago they completely redid it so it would not be such a resource hog. Has kept my machine protected and has yet to give me any problems.

Avast free for both 7 and XP.
Low footprint and extremely effective.

The best protection for any computer is a wise user.

I personally use Kaspersky. I really like the protection it offers and usually you can get it on Newegg yearly for $30 with a $30 mail away rebate.

Works great for me. Also I use MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Pro. Have not had an infection for a couple of years with this combination.

I have worked on computers where MSSE was used and it just didn't stop some. It's not a bad product but I always think the paid for ones will go a step or two ahead to protect you.

Originally Posted By: redhat
I personally use Kaspersky. I really like the protection it offers and usually you can get it on Newegg yearly for $30 with a $30 mail away rebate.

+1 on Kaspersky. However, Avast is great for free and renewing no big deal; just have to download the new version (which is better anyway since you get the new "engine").

My opinion is:

Paid version = Kaspersky (with or without rebate it is worth it)
Free version = Avast

I agree that renewing is no big deal for my own computers. However, I put Avast on a relatives computer and she ignored everything that said it's time to renew. Months later I get asked to clean up the computer.

A fresh install later, it now has MSE on it. I'll never install something that requires follow up on a relatives computer.

I purchased Norton's new 2013 360 for all 4 of my laptops and it does a fine job at everything. Even has a pc "tune up" option where it erases all the cookies, temp files, Etc to speed things up.

It has warned me several times of websites trying to obtain data, etc, etc and I would close out of there. Worth the $50 (I think) that I paid for it.

There's aplenty of websites that test AV programs and Norton rates at the top among anothers. There are spent of good choices so its all about company preference at this point.

I think I read that MSE just failed a recent anti-virus test.

There are two things to consider, an AV that detects all the known viruses, and that it is not a PIG when it comes to consuming resources.

I use ESET as they are one of the best at detecting and have a very small footprint.

I buy a license for 3 on Amazon. I give 2 licenses to daughters and use one myself. Its a reasonable price. (As they say a daughter is a daughter for life).

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think I read that MSE just failed a recent anti-virus test.

Do you happen to have a link?

In most of the tests I've seen, MSE scores "good".

The Free Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows XP with service pack 3, Vista, or Windows 7.

For Windows 8 Microsoft Security Essentials as been replaced with the free updated Windows Defender which is essentially an upgraded version of Microsoft Security Essentials.

Another good option is the free version of Comodo Internet Security. See features below.

Link To Web Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back