Suggestion on antivirus software for Win7 & XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, if you browse safe on the Internet, you really don't need Antivirus....I know I'm gonna get flamed for this :X LOL But it's true...all these modern browsers are being made stronger, Chrome for example runs in a sandbox, blocks access to most malicious stuff, unless you specifically "Allow" it....Windows itself, has the annoying "User Account Control" that asks you "are you sure?" when an unknown application launches, etc...for example.

I just use free online virus scanners (HouseCall, Windows Live OneCare, etc...) every 6 nonths or so....keeps me good for the past couple years.

Granted, I'm in the IT field, and I don't have "kids" that use my computer(s) (yet...lol).

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Honestly, if you browse safe on the Internet, you really don't need Antivirus....I know I'm gonna get flamed for this :X LOL But it's true...all these modern browsers are being made stronger, Chrome for example runs in a sandbox, blocks access to most malicious stuff, unless you specifically "Allow" it....Windows itself, has the annoying "User Account Control" that asks you "are you sure?" when an unknown application launches, etc...for example.

I just use free online virus scanners (HouseCall, Windows Live OneCare, etc...) every 6 nonths or so....keeps me good for the past couple years.

Granted, I'm in the IT field, and I don't have "kids" that use my computer(s) (yet...lol).

Nah, I'm the same. I haven't had a virus for about two years now.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Yup,no av software on my PC for years now,no issues or problems.I'm still running XP as well.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I use AVG on my xp. Dont have 7 yet (avoiding still)

+1
I use the free of version of AVG on my XP. Haven't had a virus get through since I installed it 4 years ago. And I've been known to frequent some questionable web sites! The malware blocker gets a real workout!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back