Antivirus and other tools for Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally, your "main" account will have admin privileges, but every time you do something administrative, it will prompt you for your password. For example, you're not going to be installing software or updating kernels or deleting portions of the OS without it asking for your permission and password entry. Try to update your GRUB file without using "sudo" and you'll see it rejects the attempt.

Just don't log in as root. Many distros these days (including Ubuntu and Mint as far as I recall) make it very difficult to actually log in as root in the first place.

Originally Posted By: nikolaT
I heard that linux does not need any antivirus...

It does not. It does not need anything to be done on your part for the system to remain safe.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Just don't log in as root. Many distros these days (including Ubuntu and Mint as far as I recall) make it very difficult to actually log in as root in the first place.

Ubuntu-based distros disable logging in as root; and in fact, if I recall, do not have a root account even set up. Normal users perform administrative tasks as "sudo" and are simply prompted for their password during admin tasks (like software upgrades).

The same advice I give for Windows users. Don't do day to day work with a privileged account.

In the Linux/Unix world, the user root is the "admin" user. In Windows, the user created when you install the computer is given administrator rights.

I tell folks to either make that a special user, such as super-eric and set up the PC, then create a regular user called eric and do your day to day work as eric. If you need to install a program, you can always run the installer as super-eric.

This blunts many threats as if they are run without admin rights, their access to your system is limited.

But most folks just allow Windows setup to give their user admin rights and never think about security. So if they click on the wrong thing, it runs with admin rights.

UAC (IIRC that's the name) helps prevent this. But how many times have you seen people just give permission to whatever is on the screen without thinking about it?

By running as an unprivileged user, you have to actually choose the privileged user account and give it's password in order for that program to run. Hopefully, that gives the user pause to consider why this program is seeking admin rights.

Ditto for the root account on a Linux/Unix box. You have to install the program as root. Either using sudo or some other means of authenticating as root.

It prevents non-root users from making significant changes to the environment.

On our home PC's, I've found that not giving the kids Admin rights or the Admin password has eliminated the need for me to re-install their computers every 6-12 months.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: Rand
not the least of which you dont usually run as an admin account.

Would you explain please, why I shouldn't run as an admin?

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I hit the power button and rebooted back into my ext3 Debian setup. :^)

Funny story.

I think his company folded, as did his file system, shortly after he confessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back