Anyone here using Linux?

Originally Posted by alarmguy

If there was one, just one, simple and easy to, lets say put on a laptop that has been slowed down by countless Win 10 updates, only used to web browsing, what would one choose?

For someone installing their first Linux distribution I would recommend Mint Linux. It is easy to install and configure and has good package resources. I assume you are going to completely wipe the old operating system? If yes, you won't have to be concerned with trying to "save" the Windows partition.
While I am recommending Mint because you are a new user, I favor Debian for more advanced users.
Let us know what you decide.

So many people in here give good advice. I know NOTHING about Linux but in the past received very sincere replies. I am writing this to the OP, some good people in here to help you.

I have learned to Hate Windows, been computing for decades with it and just moved to a Mac mini and LOVE IT, love it so much, I ditched my Android phone too.
With that said, I have a number of ok to very good laptops and desktops that I would love to run Linux on to try out. I just wish it was more plug and play, maybe I should just try downloading one to get a feel for it.

If there was one, just one, simple and easy to, lets say put on a laptop that has been slowed down by countless Win 10 updates, only used to web browsing, what would one choose?

I'm not an expert, but I would go with either Linux mint or Ubuntu LTS just because there is plenty of information and help to be found for newbies trying to figure it out.

I know NOTHING about Linux

1) Your posts indicate that you have some concerns about spying and privacy. Open Source software's code is, as the name implies, open to the public.

2) The developers of Open Source software (F/LOSS from here on in; it stands for Free/ Libre Open Source Software. The "Free" meaning both "no-cost" and "freedom") contribute to a greater, common good. They have no interest in your money or your data. These projects are made for the benefit of their users.

So "PRIVACY" = CHECK

3) Security is more transparent and much faster to respond than closed-source software. **If** Apple or Microsoft or anyone else **chooses** to disclose a vulnerability, they **might** issue a fix during their next update cycle. F/LOSS developers tend to take these things rather personally and get to it ASAP.

SECURITY = CHECK

4) Linux-based OS's cobble together disparate projects instead of re-inventing any wheels. Usually larger distributions of Linux (Like Ubuntu and its derivative Linux Mint) have ONE repository of software - tested by the developers and packed for you so you just have to click "install" once) from which you can install most anything you'll ever need; rarely needing to go get installation files from independent developers. The whole OS can update and upgrade itself with little intervention. Reboots are required less often.

SIMPLICITY = CHECK

5) The desktop-oriented OS's are built using the same enterprise-grade code that the servers powering the web, the world's largest supercomputers, most phones, fridges, doorbells and other assorted knick-knacks. There is no "cripple-ware".

STABILITY = CHECK

6) No trialware or bloatware.

COST = CHECK

7) There are literally hundreds of distributions out there serving different purposes. DARPA has one, Fermilab has one. Region governments and NGO's tend to roll their own for their own uses. Since the source code is open and the licenses permissive, you can alter and re-make an OS for your own needs and even re-name and re-distribute it to others.

FREEDOM AND CHOICE = CHECK

Either Ubuntu or Linux Mint, which is derived from and based on Ubuntu.

Ubuntu issues releases every 6 months. Every 4th version, released in April of even-numbered years, is a Long-Term Support version. Their version numbering uses year-month; so the version being issued tomorrow (23 April, 2020) will be 20.04LTS. It is strongly, strongly recommended that most users stick with LTS releases - they're more solid, require upgrade only every two years (they're supported for 5 years) and will be a more common reference when you need support or if you need to download and install a 3rd-party application (like Chrome, for example: Their license does NOT allow for free re-distribution so you have to download it and install it yourself like you would on Windows or Mac).

So if you're interested in Ubuntu, wait until tomorrow to visit here and make sure you see 20.04LTS listed as as download option: https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop (as of this writing you'll see their last LTS - 18.04 - pushed as the "main" download.)

Linux Mint bases their versions on Ubuntu LTS but it takes a good month or so for them to get their releases out.

Both Ubuntu and Mint have releases out that are current right now; but given that a major, major update is forthcoming tomorrow, maybe wait a moment.

If you are on Windows you can use a handy little utility called Rufus to transfer the downloaded .iso file to a USB stick and make it bootable. When you boot from the USB stick you can both operate the OS fully and install it to your system. Here is Rufus: https://rufus.ie/

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
I run Linux mint on my 2010 Lenovo g550. It was mid range back then so it's a pretty slow machine now. It definitely runs much better on Linux than windows 10. I also swapped an SSD from my newer 2013 Thinkpad after I upgraded it to a larger one.

It's been fairly stable, but I started having wifi issues with our new router. I'm not sure if the wifi chip is going out or it's a driver issue. I ended up parking it and just using the newer laptop for now.

I also upgraded my old desktop and installed dual boot windows 10 and Linux mint for my dad for his birthday since his old computer was getting really slow. I have to get his feedback still. It's his first time using Linux.

Try 19.2 instead of 19.3...because of older kernel (4.15 vs 5.x)

Plus MS fonts...
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=270572

Last edited:
And if you are on 19.3 alrwady you have also option to downgrade kernel in update manager...but I would prefer fresh install....

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
And if you are on 19.3 alrwady you have also option to downgrade kernel in update manager...but I would prefer fresh install....

Thanks for the help. I'll give that a shot. I would have looked into it further but I had too many other things going on at the time.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Im still parked on 16.04. When I upgraded from 14.04 to 16.04, it broke a bunch of things on my home media server, so now I am holding out for as long as I can, hesitant to upgrade.

I'm still running 16.04 on my primary desktop machine. I have so much going on there I know it's going to be a bear to to upgrade so I'll probably hold out for another year. Actually, being stuck in the house for the most part now this would probably be an opportune time to take it on but I just can't get my head into it right now.

Back