Oil for Toyota 2.5 D4D - EGR without DPF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm planning my next oil change for my Toyota Fortuner (2012 second generation), Philippine model with the 2KD-FTV 2.5L engine. It has a 2004 made engine.. even requiring only CF oils. Engine has VNT, EGR, catalytic converter and more importantly predates the use of DPF. Engine has never been opened, no oil consumption whatsoever. The car manual specifically states my OCI should be 10k km, or around 6200 miles if I convert it. Manual specifies 5w-30 weight oil... but then everyone locally tells me to use 5w-40 oil because of the tropical weather

Known problems of the Toyota D4D engine are carbon/soot buildup, EGR valves sticking and intake manifold carbon buildup.

Objective
I need help from any of you kind-willing oil enthusiasts in picking the best suitable oil to mitigate these effects in the long run and make the engine last forever.

Fuel Used
Philippines has been known to have dirty diesel fuels; and only in 2017 has the government mandated the use of EURO IV fuels. According to page 13 of this document, there's 0.5% mass max of sulfur content in diesel fuel.

Vehicle usage is 80% city, 20% highway.
- 6 days driven in the city under heavy traffic. Total distance traveled around 25-30km round trip. To illustrate how heavy this traffic is, 20-30 minute drives without traffic take 1 hour to go to a destination.
- 1 day driven out of the city; taking the expressway to the destination and then back. Total distance traveled is 120km round trip. It takes 30-45 minutes of city driving to reach the expressway. In the expressway there's a consistent 30-40minutes of driving under 100km/h (max speed). Total travel time 4 hours.

Last oil change
95,950kms on 5w40 Mobil Delvac 1 CI-4+. Current oil has around 10,000km / 7 months on it. Oil filter is a Donaldson P50335.
Since its a pretty expensive oil I plan to extend a bit and change the oil to 107,500km... or even 110,000km if it can stand up to 15,000km of mostly severe service of driving in traffic most of the week.
I plan to run the next oil under 12,500km (if its a high-end full synth).. 7,500km if its a decent semy-synthetic.. 5,000km if mineral. With a Baldwin BT223 oil filter

The Delvac 1 oil I have currently makes my diesel engine sound loud like a truck. I want something quiet (but with good protection of course) which is how I arrived to these oils.

What oils I've been looking at so far, in order of interest and availability locally
(1) Caltex Delo Sports Synth Blend 10w30 - Product data sheet - CI-4, Zinc > 1500ppm, High SAPS, TBN 10.4
(2) Mobil Delvac City Logistics 10w-30 - Product Page - CI-4, TBN 9
(3) Amsoil 10w-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Product Page - CK-4, Noack 4.5% (!!), HTHS 3.6, TBN 10.2
(4) Amsoil 5w-30 Max Duty Signature Series - Product Page - CK-4, HTHS 3.5, TBN 10.2 - Its a Signature Series, I wonder if I can reach their extended drains of 3x OEM.. so 30,000km. I can only dream lol.

CK-4 piques my interest but since the diesel fuels here are such a wildcard (in terms of sulfur content) I wonder if I should stick with CI-4/CI-4+. Also considering cost savings since my vehicle doesn't have a DPF.. so I could plug it with any older oil with high saps.

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Last edited:
Caltex Delo, and
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Zeng. Also why the Delo? Is it because of its high zinc or high saps compound? Or is it the brand? (Caltex/Chevron).

Also how long would you run that synth blend oil in your car given its always driven in bumper to bumper traffic?

Last edited:
Because it's a high saps, hence higher Zn and P for your available 500/300 ppm sulphur fuels in CI4 specs.
Mobil Delvac CI4 may be a good alternative , as your intended OCI is rather low at 7500/5000 km.
Amsoil mid saps CK4's are supposed to match with Euro 5 fuels,plus it's price and your intended OCI is a mismatch, IMHO.

Btw, Toyota Malaysia calls for CF monograde SAE 40 at 10000 km OCI's here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zeng
Because it's a high saps, hence higher Zn and P for your available 500/300 ppm sulphur fuels in CI4 specs.
Mobil Delvac CI4 may be a good alternative , as your intended OCI is rather low at 7500/5000 km.
Amsoil mid saps CK4's are supposed to match with Euro 5 fuels,plus it's price and your intended OCI is a mismatch, IMHO.

Thanks for your input. Do you think the Semi-synth could easily last 10k then?

And you bring up a good point there, so CK-4 oils' effectiveness would be cut short by high ppm sulfur fuels. That sucks then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by leoblack9
Originally Posted by zeng

Thanks for your input. Do you think the Semi-synth could easily last 10k then?

And you bring up a good point there, so CK-4 oils' effectiveness would be cut short by high ppm sulfur fuels. That sucks then.

I'd been doing 10k km, not miles, with mineral (probably majority Grp II, IDK) Delvac MX 15W40 with satisfactory performance.
I don't see why an in-spec'ed semi synthetic CI4 (in Delo) would not do 10k km or more.
Who knows there may be 'adventorous' users having good results with >10k km with Euro II/III diesels fuels.IDK.
But , just beware of the EGR/intake valve deposit phenomenon.

Much appreciated for your input. In achieving those 10,000km OCIs with mineral oil, may I know what are the traffic conditions there in Malaysia? Does that include heavy traffic or is it more of highway travel?

Oh that test's intriguing. I will read up on that, considering that UOAs are like Php2,000 or $50 over here. I might try that out.

Crikey, thats a lot of highway travel, that explains how easily you reach those OCIs. I on the other hand get stuck with like 83% traffic and 17% highway, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back