Suggested Oil For 2022 Honda Civic Si - 1.5 l turbo

You should be able to order it for in-store pick-up from the Walmart website, if that's an option for you.

On the AFE, no, it now shows 50-60% GTL.

Thank you very much, that is good to know about AFE. I will search Walmart and see if I can get it from there. Thank you.

You should be able to order it for in-store pick-up from the Walmart website, if that's an option for you.

Yea, I was looking for M1EP 0W-20 at WM - OOS. I went with Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. If I’m going to use a GTL oil, might as well buy it from the company who first commercialized it(Shell/SOPUS).

Related to this, I have essentially the same engine in my 2020 CRV, currently running Mobil1 0W-20 EP and having OD issues causing thinning below grade in 2500 miles. Have decided to go to a -30 oil and trying to decide between Mobil1 0W-30 AFE and Mobil1 5W-30 EP. Not sure which will help more with the dilution issue, but the 5W-30 EP has Honda approval. Between these two, which has a base stock that will stand up to the dilution and allow an OCI over 4k? The 0W/5W ratings don't really matter as temperatures here only rarely go below 10f. I've realized that there isn't a "magic" 0W-20 formula and a -30 is a better way to go.

The basestock isn’t your primary concern. As I think it’s already been explained, physics is what matters. If there is fuel dilution your starting viscosity is everything.
If that's the case, then AFE has the higher viscosity. 11.5 cSt vs 10.6 for the EP.

Related to this, I have essentially the same engine in my 2020 CRV, currently running Mobil1 0W-20 EP and having OD issues causing thinning below grade in 2500 miles. Have decided to go to a -30 oil and trying to decide between Mobil1 0W-30 AFE and Mobil1 5W-30 EP. Not sure which will help more with the dilution issue, but the 5W-30 EP has Honda approval. Between these two, which has a base stock that will stand up to the dilution and allow an OCI over 4k? The 0W/5W ratings don't really matter as temperatures here only rarely go below 10f. I've realized that there isn't a "magic" 0W-20 formula and a -30 is a better way to go.
Yeah, your issue isn't the oil, it's the fuel. I don't believe, as @kschachn noted, that the base stock selection is going to make any real difference there, it's about starting viscosity and how much loss you feel you can tolerate before changing it.

In an application where visc loss is dominated by mechanical shear, the EP 0w-20 is going to hold up because there's nothing to shear, but that's clearly not the issue with this engine family where some examples, like yours, are watering down the oil with fuel.

Both the EP 5w-30 and the AFE 0w-30 are going to dilute. As @himemsys noted, AFE has a higher starting visc, so that might be something to consider.

I found an oil being offered made by Idimetsu, I recall that being a Japanese brand of oil if I'm not mistaken. Anyone have an opinion on this oil , I tried a search for it here but I haven't seen much on it. It was in a 0w-20 weight, the name seems familiar to me if they make oil for Subaru, which I also own a vehicle from.

I found an oil being offered made by Idimetsu, I recall that being a Japanese brand of oil if I'm not mistaken. Anyone have an opinion on this oil , I tried a search for it here but I haven't seen much on it. It was in a 0w-20 weight, the name seems familiar to me if they make oil for Subaru, which I also own a vehicle from.
Several threads directly about Idemitsu oil, plus many others that discuss the brand as part of another discussion. It's easy to search because of the unique name.

Several threads directly about Idemitsu oil, plus many others that discuss the brand as part of another discussion. It's easy to search because of the unique name.

Thanks for the reply, I just realized I was spelling the name wrong so my searches weren't finding it, lol. Thank you kindly.

As winter oil flow is important to me I was looking at pour points of various oils. I noticed Quaker State 0w-20 had a pour point as low as -61 degrees F, Mobil1 is in the mid -50's, and I see some oils like Castrol Edge are in the -30's . That seems like a big difference, would that indicate that Quaker State is a true Group 4 oil ? .

As winter oil flow is important to me I was looking at pour points of various oils. I noticed Quaker State 0w-20 had a pour point as low as -61 degrees F, Mobil1 is in the mid -50's, and I see some oils like Castrol Edge are in the -30's . That seems like a big difference, would that indicate that Quaker State is a true Group 4 oil ? .
Quaker State has zero PAO (Group IV) in it. Pour Point is not a valuable metric for determining cold flow, that's why CCS and MRV are used to determine suitability for the various Winter designations (0W, 5W, 10W...etc).

The Quaker State lube is likely blended with Shell's GTL bases, which do not have the same low pour points of PAO. However, they have less wax than regular Group III, so I suspect their pour point responds better to PPD's, which is why we see low pour points on the GTL based oils. PAO has no wax in it, so as a base, does not require PPD's to achieve its cold performance.

Quaker State has zero PAO (Group IV) in it. Pour Point is not a valuable metric for determining cold flow, that's why CCS and MRV are used to determine suitability for the various Winter designations (0W, 5W, 10W...etc).

The Quaker State lube is likely blended with Shell's GTL bases, which do not have the same low pour points of PAO. However, they have less wax than regular Group III, so I suspect their pour point responds better to PPD's, which is why we see low pour points on the GTL based oils. PAO has no wax in it, so as a base, does not require PPD's to achieve its cold performance.

Thanks for that information, that is good to know as the pour point numbers were confusing to me with such wide spreads. Thank you.

Thanks for that information, that is good to know as the pour point numbers were confusing to me with such wide spreads. Thank you.
Yep, “winter flow” is not meaningful but cranking and pumpability is. That’s accurately represented by the winter rating as Overkill notes.

If that's the case, then AFE has the higher viscosity. 11.5 cSt vs 10.6 for the EP.
Great, now I'm zeroed in on 0W-30 AFE, checked out my local AAP and Autozone, neither stock it and can't order it, they only have the European spec which isn't API SF or ILSAC GF-6A. I'll check Wally's and NAPA, too bad, because AAP has the bundle wit 5 quarts and the Mobil1 filter for $36. Another option would be the Mobil1 5W-30 regular (not EP) oil, which is 11.1 cSt, not doing extended drains so that might work.

Last edited:
Great, now I'm zeroed in on 0W-30 AFE, checked out my local AAP and Autozone, neither stock it and can't order it, they only have the European spec which isn't API SF or ILSAC GF-6A. I'll check Wally's and NAPA, too bad, because AAP has the bundle wit 5 quarts and the Mobil1 filter for $36.
I just looked and the two nearest Walmarts have the 5-quart containers in stock for $27.47.

And this has become one of those never-ending quest threads we see on here from time to time. You really think this oil is that special?

I was able to find Mobil1 0w-20 EP on sale, the same price as the Pennzoil Ultra I was considering using. The Mobil1 seems to be a pretty decent combination of additives and base oils , 60-70% PAO, definitely worth a try as my first OCI after the factory fill is drained, and it meets all of the specs needed for this engine. Thanks for all of the replies on my thread, much appreciated.

Last edited:
While I was reviewing the specs on Mobil1 EP 0w20 I came across the Honda spec for some of their turbo motors, it appears that is mostly for 5w-30. No 0w-20 oil likely meets that spec, not even Honda genuine oil in a 20 weight, and it isn't spec'd for the 1.5l turbo motors.

While I was reviewing the specs on Mobil1 EP 0w20 I came across the Honda spec for some of their turbo motors, it appears that is mostly for 5w-30. No 0w-20 oil likely meets that spec, not even Honda genuine oil in a 20 weight, and it isn't spec'd for the 1.5l turbo motors.
Yes, the old HTO-06 spec is pretty much obsolete at this point.

Back