Suggest one thing that will elongate your cars life.

Changing your oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As opposed to not changing it?
I think the OP's friend (as most people) understand the basics of vehicle maintenance.

I think he's asking for something that would be that "one thing" that helps extend its life past "normal" expectations. Taking an engine that already has a well-earned reputation for longevity, and trying to extend it further, won't help the rest of the car.

In short, find the weakest link, and address that, because that's what's most likely to take the car out of service. The key here is to identify the concern/condition that is most likely to cause it's failure. Given that they are in England, and that Toyotas are known to have rust issues, I'd say addressing corrosion is the key topic to address.

As opposed to not changing it?
I think the OP's friend (as most people) understand the basics of vehicle maintenance.

I think he's asking for something that would be that "one thing" that helps extend its life past "normal" expectations. Taking an engine that already has a well-earned reputation for longevity, and trying to extend it further, won't help the rest of the car.

In short, find the weakest link, and address that, because that's what's most likely to take the car out of service. The key here is to identify the concern/condition that is most likely to cause it's failure. Given that they are in England, and that Toyotas are known to have rust issues, I'd say addressing corrosion is the key topic to address.
You get it.

#1 thing to make it last the longest? Learn to do all your own repairs and do them before small problems become a major ones. The main reasons cars get junked besides accidents is that the cost to repair it exceeds the price one can sell it for.

This assumes one doesn't live in an area where the roads are salted.

Addressing items properly (to the best of one's ability or budget) as soon as they are noticed/observed.

Broken tail lamp, dirty interior, drooping headliner, check engine light that's supposedly "just an o2 sensor" etc.

Can't lower UK's MOT standards though sadly. 😔
Sadly? I wouldn’t want them any lower they are already too low!

That Pug 306 looks to have lasted well around the areas show, what do the rear chassis legs look like, inside the rear wheel wells and the boot floor inner wing areas? This is where you will see the salt doing it’s thing and rotting the thin French steel away.

Best thing you can do for any vehicle? Rust proofing if you live in an area that uses salt like we do, if you are lucky and do not have this issue then keeping on top of repairs is the next thing. I see a lot of older vehicles that need bushes, shock absorbers, brakes, oil leaks and cosmetic issues that just get left because the owner won’t keep up with them.

Sadly? I wouldn’t want them any lower they are already too low!

That Pug 306 looks to have lasted well around the areas show, what do the rear chassis legs look like, inside the rear wheel wells and the boot floor inner wing areas? This is where you will see the salt doing it’s thing and rotting the thin French steel away.

Best thing you can do for any vehicle? Rust proofing if you live in an area that uses salt like we do, if you are lucky and do not have this issue then keeping on top of repairs is the next thing. I see a lot of older vehicles that need bushes, shock absorbers, brakes, oil leaks and cosmetic issues that just get left because the owner won’t keep up with them.

I meant it in a kind of "Yeah, sadly we have to have MOT's" but we all know they truely benefit in real life. I'm glad we have them otherwise there would be all kinds of junk on the road. It just makes it harder to keep older cars financially viable. Specially once emissions issues start popping up etc. Hey ho!

The underside is pretty good. It has a rear left wheel arch liner in so it's unlikely that bit has actually got any damage like the ones that came without liners. (I don't want to rip it out to inspect it too much as I'd end up ruining the liner and the clips.) No one uses the rear seats anyway so it's not something that concerns me safety wise but it is on my to do list in the future to inspect that area. (Was good last checked when I was doing the wiring setup for my speaker system).

It's had to have a couple of bits of welding done over the last couple of MOTs but the rest is holding up well (touch wood!). It's got hefty GTI-6 brakes on it so they stop the thing dead no problem, and all the suspension parts were done with Bilstein and Eibach parts about 30k miles ago so they are still holding up well.

I just replace things when they need it really.

You guys have some good detailing brands in the UK. Maybe try some Auto-Wash regularly to keep corrosion at bay.

I need some shampoo and pre-wash as I've just run out so this has been a very helpful post. Thanks! I'll get myself some ordered having read the reviews as well. 😀

One single thing? Keep it inside when not being used.
Yes, absolutely. It shocks me that people keep random junk inside the garage while the $40k+ vehicle sits outside in the elements, and subject to thieves and vandalism... and then cry because someone broke into the vehicle. This thinking is completely backwards IMHO, and unfortunately I need to say the obvious... this does not apply to those without garage access.
The frame, the paint finish, and the interior of my 2006 Tacoma are all in excellent condition mainly because it is garaged.

Yes, absolutely. It shocks me that people keep random junk inside the garage while the $40k+ vehicle sits outside in the elements, and subject to thieves and vandalism... and then cry because someone broke into the vehicle. This thinking is completely backwards IMHO, and unfortunately I need to say the obvious... this does not apply to those without garage access.
The frame, the paint finish, and the interior of my 2006 Tacoma are all in excellent condition mainly because it is garaged.
Maybe it just seems random to you… I keep both vehicles outside and things in the garage for various reasons. 1) vehicles are designed to be outside and the things in my garage (power tools, workout equipment, decorations, etc.) are not. 2) we use the space to do things like workout or do home projects and we cannot do that with vehicles parked in the way. 3) $40K vehicle will still depreciate to next to nothing over time regardless if it is garaged or not.

Why use all the oily underside treatments? Hard to clean off and collects dirt. Just clean and paint it like it should have been in the first place. After a good paint job and it cures then apply the oily where needed.
If you want to keep a car or truck in nice shape. Only scenic drives on nice days other wise don't use it.
How many here wish they had the means in the day to buy some new vehicles and just put em in a huge sealed box.
How much would a brand new perfect with window sticker 1957 chevrolet car, or pick your what ever from those days go for now?

^
Maybe it just seems random to you… I keep both vehicles outside and things in the garage for various reasons. 1) vehicles are designed to be outside and the things in my garage (power tools, workout equipment, decorations, etc.) are not. 2) we use the space to do things like workout or do home projects and we cannot do that with vehicles parked in the way. 3) $40K vehicle will still depreciate to next to nothing over time regardless if it is garaged or not.
Maybe provide a location instead of a snarky blurb about "ask" because it kinda... matters. If it didn't, they wouldn't have asked.

I see you have two fairly new vehicles. Maybe the solution is invest in a home with more garage space instead of continually buying newer vehicles, then you have both the space to do what you want, and the space to shelter vehicles from the elements, and without the waste of replacing vehicles more often.

Back