Suggest one thing that will elongate your cars life.

Why use all the oily underside treatments? Hard to clean off and collects dirt. Just clean and paint it like it should have been in the first place. After a good paint job and it cures then apply the oily where needed.
If you want to keep a car or truck in nice shape. Only scenic drives on nice days other wise don't use it.
How many here wish they had the means in the day to buy some new vehicles and just put em in a huge sealed box.
How much would a brand new perfect with window sticker 1957 chevrolet car, or pick your what ever from those days go for now?
?? Much was painted in the first place. The rest, paint doesn't last.

Do you really have much experience painting the underside of vehicles, the prep work and actually doing it? Unless it's a frame off restoration on a classic with a frame, it is not that simple.

What does it matter if it collects dirt? It's a tiny itty bitty bit.

Yes, one important variable is plan your trips. If you take it out in weather that promotes corrosion, corrosion you shall receive. If you work a daily job where you have to commute, it is what it is. If you don't, or pick one of your vehicles to save from that exposure, it'll last a lot longer before rust takes its toll. Been there, do that.

Factory underside paint doesn't last for 2 reasons, 1 no prep on the parts. 2 crappy paint and likely no primer. Even the whole outside is painted with basically latex water crap paint, that flakes off as time goes on.
It does no good to spray oil over rust, you need to either convert the rust or remove it.
My first job was to clean the underside and paint a drag race car as a kid.

^

Maybe provide a location instead of a snarky blurb about "ask" because it kinda... matters. If it didn't, they wouldn't have asked.
Huh?

I see you have two fairly new vehicles. Maybe the solution is invest in a home with more garage space instead of continually buying newer vehicles, then you have both the space to do what you want, and the space to shelter vehicles from the elements, and without the waste of replacing vehicles more often.
Nah. Don’t want a bigger home with more expenses, higher taxes, etc.

We aren’t buying new vehicles simply because they falling apart from being outside… That is a ridiculous notion. Before the Toyota we had a Buick that had over 200K. We got rid of it due to the transmission and other mechanical issues. Being in a garage wouldn’t have prevented the transmission from slipping. And the car is a lease and used for work. It is nothing more than tool and a write off. No situation in need of your solution here bud.

Keep the car maintained and garaged when able. I rent cars for long trips or up in mountains where the roads may have been salted.

As @jtaylor2005 stated; clean the places that collect stuff that stays moist and causes rust. Places like inside corners of wheelwells, the rim around the trunk and hood, especially the drains in the corners by the firewall.
23 years and 348k miles on an MB that never saw the inside of my garage. No rust. Didn't die. It was just old plastic parts that weren't made anymore. Wanted something new where I didn't have to look hard for silly little plastic peices in the trim, switches boxes, etc.

Actually, my first thought was don't let your teenagers drive it.

those are great if you dont drive the car very much but not very practical if you use the vehicle on a continuous basis.
How? I have one that is on elastic and it takes me less than 60 seconds to put it on and less than 60 seconds to take it off.......You can get them for 35 bucks and if they blow away, well...sucks, but I just put it on when its going to rain or snow (if ever).
Some people sure are lazy these days /s

Huh?

Nah. Don’t want a bigger home with more expenses, higher taxes, etc.

We aren’t buying new vehicles simply because they falling apart from being outside… That is a ridiculous notion. Before the Toyota we had a Buick that had over 200K. We got rid of it due to the transmission and other mechanical issues. Being in a garage wouldn’t have prevented the transmission from slipping. And the car is a lease and used for work. It is nothing more than tool and a write off. No situation in need of your solution here bud.
There’s no denying a garage vs outdoors protects the aesthetics of a car. I doubt you’d go that far, saying a garage offers no benefits vs parking outside.

But if you’ve found more important uses for your garage than cars, that’s your discretion. Besides, your case use isn’t the typical “storing junk” reason.

OP, Garage parking is one of the best if not the best thing an owner can do for a car’s paint and interior. But it doesn’t do much for maintaining the drivetrain from my experience.

There’s no denying a garage vs outdoors protects the aesthetics of a car. I doubt you’d go that far, saying a garage offers no benefits vs parking outside.

But if you’ve found more important uses for your garage than cars, that’s your discretion. Besides, your case use isn’t the typical “storing junk” reason.

OP, Garage parking is one of the best if not the best thing an owner can do for a car’s paint and interior. But it doesn’t do much for maintaining the drivetrain from my experience.
Seriously, I redid 2 cars with the ceramic headlight restoration kit. Like magic, the headlights looked new.

On one car, 1 year later, it's starting to get cloudy again, on the other, it's been 2 years.

When I bought my 2006 car used in 2016, it had restored headlights, they stayed clear almost 4 years.

The car in the garage is a 2007, always garaged, and the headlights are clear and have never been restored. Same, with my mom's 2006 Acura TSX. There is a lot to keeping a vehicle garaged. I totally get it, for leased cars, it's not even owned by the person who has it, who cares....but for those we own, garage kept is a win.

Seriously, I redid 2 cars with the ceramic headlight restoration kit. Like magic, the headlights looked new.

On one car, 1 year later, it's starting to get cloudy again, on the other, it's been 2 years.

When I bought my 2006 car used in 2016, it had restored headlights, they stayed clear almost 4 years.

The car in the garage is a 2007, always garaged, and the headlights are clear and have never been restored. Same, with my mom's 2006 Acura TSX. There is a lot to keeping a vehicle garaged. I totally get it, for leased cars, it's not even owned by the person who has it, who cares....but for those we own, garage kept is a win.
right. I pay money to store my recreational car in a garage. The cost to benefit is worth it to me. I’ve had the car for 10 years, garaged most its life, and there’s very little sun damage.

I would not say garaging has no zero benefits - it has merits. I also don’t assume people’s motivations and priorities in this respect. I’m sure there are plenty of reasons people would or wouldn’t garage a vehicle. And I am also sure there are plenty of things people own that are important to them but may seem like “junk”’without knowing the back story.

A clean and dry garage.

The idea is not as absurd as it sounds. Besides keeping the sun and rain off, the temp is generally more moderate.

14 years old, 200K miles. Still looking and running great.

sWSSB2j.jpg
Just now, finally... after too many years' delay, I'm building an oversized 3 car garage... I am lucky, I concede, to be able to do so - but I've always thought that it doesn't make a lot of sense to have a really nice car (or cars) if I can't house it out of the sun (and other weather). Plus, I want to be able to relatively easily, conveniently, lavish tlc on it.

Reactions: 4WD
Just now, finally... after too many years' delay, I'm building an oversized 3 car garage... I am lucky, I concede, to be able to do so - but I've always thought that it doesn't make a lot of sense to have a really nice car (or cars) if I can't house it out of the sun (and other weather). Plus, I want to be able to relatively easily, conveniently, lavish tlc on it.
I’ve thought the same thing.

I suppose if someone leases cars, then yes since it’s not theirs then leaving them outside is ok

I’ve thought the same thing.

I suppose if someone leases cars, then yes since it’s not theirs then leaving them outside is ok
Putting cars away salty and wet isn’t a good base for success either. Keeping sun from pummeling them, and an occasional rain? Sure.

But like everything else, there is a right and wrong way to do this, and then everything in between.

That said, lease or not, in reasonable climates, cars can live outdoors for well over a decade and still be new looking with a little care and concern.

Extension of life means not beating on a car, lightly loading it for most of the time (time at temperature does affect things, and there’s a happy medium for that), and keeping corrosion of anything and everything under control.

In the case of V-8’s, there’s really very little reason to rev at 6,000 RPM’s. I find I have all the passing power I need with my Chevy 6.0 revving to 3,500 rpm. Over 250,000 miles on it and it still doesn’t burn oil.

The peak torque is almost in by 3,500 RPM. There’s not too much more to be had by taking it to the limit. I’m usually accelerating hard to 80 mph by then.

666B8CCC-EDB1-4C48-B4B9-1B95FFEA3734.jpeg

Last edited:
In the case of V-8’s, there’s really very little reason to rev at 6,000 RPM’s. I find I have all the passing power I need with my Chevy 6.0 revving to 3,500 rpm. Over 250,000 miles on it and it still doesn’t burn oil.
My neighbor has a brand new Ford Escape. I heard it idling and thought that's what people are used to today...made a clatter/tick

I have one V8 and want to get another before its too late. The design is for all intents, balanced. Mine doesn't need to change gears even on an incline, it's basically loafing. My wife's V6 needs to downshift all the time, which is why I want to replace it with a V8 when the time comes.

1) Change your oil.
2) Take the oil you just drained, maybe mix some wax or grease into it (some melt toilet wax rings, others add Lucas Red-n-Tacky grease, etc) But even straight used oil 3-4 times per year will work great.
3) Pressure wash the car, including the bottom.
4) Spray it on the underside and wheel wells.
5) It'll smell for a little bit, but will go away quick.

Voila, a cheap solution to a long lasting Toyota (or any car) in a rust prone area.
If you want to splurge - use Fluid Film instead of used oil.
One of my past co-workers swore by WD-40, and still does AFAIK. 2 times per year, and his catfish Camaro is still totally rust free, in Philadelphia. It helps to have access to a lift. It also helps to take the car on the dusty road asap after the application. Oil attracts dust, and forms a strong protective layer, that won't chip off like paint, and won't store moisture like rubber undercoatings. He does this every Fall & Spring.

Last edited:
Back