Nissan Micra K13 Aircon Working Too Well After Recharge

After two years of nagging my mother in law to get her barely-functioning aircon system recharged and her saying, 'It's fine' my sister in law borrowed the car and got her mechanics at where she worked to do it.
She works for a large UK national car accessory and parts retailer.

When I drove the car - I was checking the charging system after a break down and replaced a very dead battery - the aircon is simply awesome. On the hottest day of this year, it was capable of making the interior super-cool. Far better than when the car was brand new.
Although I have been a motor mechanic for nearly 45 years, my knowledge of modern climate control systems is lacking. Here in the cold north of England, I have probably worked on fewer than fifty cars in those years fitted with aircon. Really :)

Last week, my mother in law phoned saying that since I fit the new battery on the heater wouldn't blow hot air. It would, she simply needed to set it to a temp above ambient...
The recharge was done three months prior, but as is always the case, it must be my fault. I've worked on their cars for 23 years and enjoy working on them. Just annoying when she 100% knew that the aircon had work done before the battery, but it must be the battery...

Anyway, my only question is: If they over pressurised the system, would the aircon blow 'too cool'?
If you crank the temp above ambient, it heats the interior. I'd just love to find out that 'Super Mechanic' sister in law* and her trade contacts had messed up by putting way too much gas into the system.
After I'd replaced the battery, I did a full system scan and no faults were logged. Thank you.

*After I replaced the battery, I was told that she could of got it cheaper, more warranty, more capacity. So could I, but as the car was stranded, the Yuasa 55Ah with four year warranty for £59 was a decent buy as I only had one hour timeslot to complete the work.
She thinks the Micra is a 'dangerous car' and she wants my in law to buy a safer one. She only drives the car locally. Never above 30mph. But they are thinking of buying this death trap. I don't think they will be too interested when I arm my mother in law with the details of just how valuable small low mileage (26k miles) cars go for nowadays. After eight years of ownership, the Micra is still worth 80% of what they paid for it.
So a few sour grapes? You bet :)

Overcharging AC makes it work less efficiently, until it doesn’t work at all. So, that’s not the cause.

This sounds like an electric problem. Some reset wasn’t done, or something failed after the battery replacement.

Too much refrigerant=HIGHER pressures, less cooling. If a system is a little low, it can actually run a little colder. Too cold A/C doesn't sound like a bad problem to me!:unsure:

Back