Subscription based options? I didn't see this coming.

After some thought, I guess this started, indirectly, with subscription satellite radio.
nah SR is totally different. thats a 3rd part service with pay for content like cable. A heated seat? High beams?? cmon

This whole thing about nickel and diming, or just plain milking people, just ticks me off.

Only recently, GM, in their infinite wisdom decided to charge Buick and GMC buyers an addition $905 - $1,675 to make OnStar standard: Buick, GMC making OnStar Connected Services standard.

Some folks in the comments claim they'll just flock to Chevrolet branded vehicles instead, but what's to say this will not be applied across all brands in the portfolio?

This whole thing about nickel and diming, or just plain milking people, just ticks me off.

Only recently, GM, in their infinite wisdom decided to charge Buick and GMC buyers an addition $905 - $1,675 to make OnStar standard: Buick, GMC making OnStar Connected Services standard.

Some folks in the comments claim they'll just flock to Chevrolet branded vehicles instead, but what's to say this will not be applied across all brands in the portfolio?
I mentioned that here in an earlier reply(post 65) but was told by a newer member that my comment did not pertain to the "headline of the article"(post 68) so taking the higher road at the time I just ignored it. Yes, I agree with you, even though its not a "hard" option, its still an OTA update that is kind of being forced on you whether you want it or not.

At least BMW is giving you the choice of purchasing or subscribing to the option at time of buying the car.

I mentioned that here in an earlier reply(post 65) but was told by a newer member that my comment did not pertain to the "headline of the article"(post 68) so taking the higher road at the time I just ignored it. Yes, I agree with you, even though its not a "hard" option, its still an OTA update that is kind of being forced on you whether you want it or not.

At least BMW is giving you the choice of purchasing or subscribing to the option at time of buying the car.
What I don’t like about the issue you mentioned is you should be able to buy the car at the advertised retail price on the manufacturer’s website. Not that price plus a mandatory additional payment on top. That additional payment should be part of the original price and should be absorbed by the manufacturer until the website price is updated.

I agree 100 percent but it’s still a subscription issue which companies are “trying “ to take advantage of. I would not have any issue if it was listed on the window sticker as to being surprised by the salesman at end of deal.

Are subscription-based heated seats an excess of free market capitalism or are they a sign we are too pampered and should get thermal underwear instead? 🤣

I know that others have stated that this kind of thing began with OnStar or even XMRadio, since those were for things that your car was equipped with that you could activate if you wanted. I suppose you purchased those options when you bought the car, and they were already built in.
I'm truly having a hard time figuring out why this makes me SO mad!
I guess it's just the simple fact that if you purchased the car with that option, it wasn't presented to you (at the time) as subscription.
So, this leaves me only ONE option.....It's Putin's fault.
Well, maybe not. I think it's actually Elon's fault with his FSD fiasco.
Maybe it's just something we'll have to get used to as another form of hidden inflation. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Are subscription-based heated seats an excess of free market capitalism or are they a sign we are too pampered and should get thermal underwear instead? 🤣
Naw. It's just a sign that BMW is facing pricing pressures for options which are standard on other makes.

Naw. It's just a sign that BMW is facing pricing pressures for options which are standard on other makes.
I expect the subscription model to be viable for some features but not for those features that are practically standard features. In other markets, the situation may be different because the general public may drive mostly less loaded cars. In the US we are spoiled when it comes to features included in basic vehicles.

I expect the subscription model to be viable for some features but not for those features that are practically standard features. In other markets, the situation may be different because the general public may drive mostly less loaded cars. In the US we are spoiled when it comes to features included in basic vehicles.
Which is why BMW isn't testing it in the US market.

The subscription model goes way back to newspapers and magazines and the need for a constant source of revenue. One sale doesn't keep a company afloat, continuous sales do. Licensing took off with MS decision to license instead of sell software. Hardware manufacturers have been trying to create a subscription model for many years. Look at the continuous updating of features in new car models, trying to entice you to buy a new car.

This new model is easier and will create a revenue stream less dependent on the sale of a large dollar item, and more tuned into the steady stream of "upgrading" when a buyer has the money or desire to "add value".

Annoying nonetheless though. And they will keep trying until it "sticks".

Last edited:
This is where it’s all ultimately headed IMO.

96AC8E30-006B-4480-A976-044AAAB6CCCA.jpeg

Yeah, and that stinks. Just like property in this jurisdiction. You "own" it, until you don't pay taxes. Then the property is taken away from you and sold at a tax sale.

Lot's of that going on when money times are hard.

I sure hope they don't repossess my car seat heater!

Back