Subscription based options? I didn't see this coming.

I guess all the German mechanics will need to change their diagnoses for heated seat issues... "Did you remember to pony up your $18?"

One question, how nuch are heated seats in a BMW, or are they standard equipment for these fancy cars?
Depends on the vehicle and how BMW packages the option.

Example of the individual option prices.

BMW X5 - $350 for heated seats/steering wheel/armrest (all three together).
Other BMW Models - $500 for font seats, and $200 for steering wheel.

Just run your own wiring and bypass the controls. 12V to fuse, fuse to properly rated switch or relay, wire to seat heater connector, wire to ground. Not too hard to do - just have to see if the "nanny" feature is monitored by the BCM and "tells".

Even can use bluetooth controlled relays for the seat heater so no interior changes are needed (arduino, etc)
The pleasure of owning a BMW is to pay and pay.

I can see it going both ways. There are plenty of sheeple who would buy into it, but it could also backfire if for example Mercedes just factors the options into their pricing and claims to offer it for "no additional fee".

I can see it going both ways. There are plenty of sheeple who would buy into it, but it could also backfire if for example Mercedes just factors the options into their pricing and claims to offer it for "no additional fee".
Since the equipment is already installed, I can assure you it was already priced in. The subscription is just extra $$. Hopefully it will be a failure.

Thinking about replacing my wife's Yukon and went to dealer last week and found out they want to charge for Onstar for the truck. He said it was mandatory. Wife likes the middle plan(which we get on our GM vehicles) but they want to charge for the premium plan, said no way don't need it and the salesman basically said it was not a choice. It was for me, told him thanks but no thanks at this time. I looked it up on the net and this is what I found.

Thinking about replacing my wife's Yukon and went to dealer last week and found out they want to charge for Onstar for the truck. He said it was mandatory. Wife likes the middle plan(which we get on our GM vehicles) but they want to charge for the premium plan, said no way don't need it and the salesman basically said it was not a choice. It was for me, told him thanks but no thanks at this time. I looked it up on the net and this is what I found.

Wow, that is horrible! No choice and company's wonder why they lose customers.

Reminds me of the times when we could buy ring tones for cell phones, and it was quite a popular revenue generator.

The headline of the article has very little to do what BMW is doing, so you might want to spend a few minutes reading.

The implications of this is what is concerning. The automaker can activate or deactivate features through the wireless internet link to the vehicle based on which features you have "subscribed". They probably also can deactivate the entire vehicle, rendering it useless, for any reason you might care to name, "environmental emergency", ESG score, whatever, and I don't believe that link can be bypassed. This is a very slippery slope.

Maybe this is the future. Like hw we use computers. We buy the hardware (a laptop or a car) then we get subscription services to use it (Office 365, ad based Gmail or heated seats).

Here is statement from BMW North America.
Basically, if vehicle is ordered with heated seats, it has and will have heated seats.
This allows owner, per BMW, to “test” option before purchasing (they emphasize here recording camera etc.).

“As cynical as that might sound, Korean owners aren't forced to pay monthly for heated seats, or any of BMW's other available options, but monthly payments can be made to try those out. Heated seats, for instance, cost ₩24,000 (roughly $18) per month. But you can also pay for a year subscription ($176), a three-year subscription ($283), or you can buy the heated seats permanently ($406).”

So you can buy the option once and for all. Could actually be a good idea. After all, I only need heated seats one month out of the year, if that.

So $18/yr… in 20 years I’d still be ahead.

So BMW will eat the cost of heated seats if the customer does not subscribe? Or only part of the year?
Sounds kinda fishy to me... I'd be surprised. The bean counters must be off their game today. Sounds to me like we are paying twice.

CA and Silicon Valley is a huge BMW market. Not that many cold days around here.

So BMW will eat the cost of heated seats if the customer does not subscribe? Or only part of the year?
Sounds kinda fishy to me... I'd be surprised. The bean counters must be off their game today. Sounds to me like we are paying twice.

CA and Silicon Valley is a huge BMW market. Not that many cold days around here.
Yes but it shows how the feature is so incredibly inexpensive to implement. The seat manufacturer doesn't have to stock seats without the heating element.

“As cynical as that might sound, Korean owners aren't forced to pay monthly for heated seats, or any of BMW's other available options, but monthly payments can be made to try those out. Heated seats, for instance, cost ₩24,000 (roughly $18) per month. But you can also pay for a year subscription ($176), a three-year subscription ($283), or you can buy the heated seats permanently ($406).”

So you can buy the option once and for all. Could actually be a good idea. After all, I only need heated seats one month out of the year, if that.

So $18/yr… in 20 years I’d still be ahead.

Now I’m even more confused and the $18/yr is listed as $18/month in the previous paragraph.

So, nobody is being forced to pay monthly for these features but if you want them you have to pay monthly? 😳🤪😵‍💫

Now I’m even more confused and the $18/yr is listed as $18/month in the previous paragraph.

So, nobody is being forced to pay monthly for these features but if you want them you have to pay monthly? 😳🤪😵‍💫
Yes it’s on demand so basically the Germans are planning to start building their cars with more options fitted but not activated (will depend on the trim level and additional spec you pay for if it’s activated or not) so you can then pay (example) per month/ year/ 3 years/ lifetime if you want the option. Or once the original owner sells it back to the main dealer it’s easier to sell as if the second owner wants say heated seats or matrix headlights its a case of “well you can activate it via FoD

Yes it’s on demand so basically the Germans are planning to start building their cars with more options fitted but not activated (will depend on the trim level and additional spec you pay for if it’s activated or not) so you can then pay (example) per month/ year/ 3 years/ lifetime if you want the option. Or once the original owner sells it back to the main dealer it’s easier to sell as if the second owner wants say heated seats or matrix headlights its a case of “well you can activate it via FoD

I understand that part. I think for some features it makes some sense though I would want to buy the option outright. This is like Ma Bell renting the telephone out to you for a small monthly charge.

For things like the driver cam feature or remote start then that fine. Matrix lights or heated seats, that’s a money maker for BMW.

Back