Subscription based options? I didn't see this coming.

So, if someone buys the BMW secondhand and pays the subscription for heated seats and they don’t work, who is responsible? BMW will likely charge $1000’s to fix it. Will the new owner come after the previous owner?

This could be a can of worms.

depends on the update.

sounds like you are ok if you are getting new features that arent hardware based.

In the case of the model 3 long range you can pay 2K (used to be) to reduce 0-60 time by about a half a second - in your mind would that be acceptable or is that a rip off because it was already technically there, but needed an unlock?

What if you didnt know the capability was built in and bought the car based on what it offered at point of sale?
I'm okay with paying a one-time fee for an increase in acceleration of the vehicle. I bought a factory tune with my 435i after all but it did include a different component (air box) along with the software. Braking performance? No way because that's a safety issue. Better braking or faster acceleration isn't a feature but a capability if the physical hardware remains unchanged.

I'm okay with paying a one-time fee for an increase in acceleration of the vehicle. I bought a factory tune with my 435i after all but it did include a different component (air box) along with the software. Braking performance? No way because that's a safety issue. Better braking or faster acceleration isn't a feature but a capability if the physical hardware remains unchanged.
Our 2018 Mode 3 Mid Range got a 0 to 60 and range increase on OTA updates. Kinda nice...

Would you willing to pay a monthly fee that that increase? Can owners decline OTA updates?
There is no charge for Tesla OTA updates; updates include new functionality, improved functionality and bug fixes.
Regarding declining updates, my understanding is you can refuse an update when it is sent out but Tesla may insist you do updates at certain points. I see no reason to decline an update; they are really fun especially the major updates. It is like getting a new car as silly as that sounds.
Lately the updates have been improved visualizations which comes from FSD beta. Some (not all) FSD visualizations filter down to all cars.

There are updates that come with a cost; I only know of 2. Plus my car was expensive enough, so there's that... These are not subscription based; they are a purchase.
1 - Full Self Driving (FSD) which is in beta. My car has Extended Auto Pilot (EAP) which was the 2018 version ($4,000) and includes most of FSD. To get FSD would be an additional $4,000 or more; I am not interested.
2 - Acceleration increase, which knocked 1/2 second off 0 to 60 times for the Long Range AWD Model 3 and Y cars. My car is RWD so this is not an option.

As an aside, these cars are fast enough. Even though I am tempted to get a Model 3 Performance and make life miserable for all the Silicon Valley Supercars, my car will do everything the Performance will do only slower. And my car will put a smile on your face and shock passengers as it is. It's kinda funny; drivers of other performance cars tend to not mess with Teslas... There is a reason for it.

Last edited:
My workaround is to not pay for all of that crap . I don't NEED any of that stuff .

I guess all the German mechanics will need to change their diagnoses for heated seat issues... "Did you remember to pony up your $18?"

One question, how nuch are heated seats in a BMW, or are they standard equipment for these fancy cars?

I guess all the German mechanics will need to change their diagnoses for heated seat issues... "Did you remember to pony up your $18?"

One question, how nuch are heated seats in a BMW, or are they standard equipment for these fancy cars?

They should be standard. Most automakers have at least the front seats heated. It depends on the trim level.

My Mazda has heated seats front and back.

they cut down a lot on the options for the 1 and 3, stuff like halogen non-auto headlights are gone but there’s still obvious boxes that most dealers tick. other markets are different of course

Attachments

• 7513FD0B-C3C8-4763-9989-E078831F58D8.jpeg
    7513FD0B-C3C8-4763-9989-E078831F58D8.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 9B3F65DB-F4A2-4CB5-985D-11265B8CEE22.jpeg
    9B3F65DB-F4A2-4CB5-985D-11265B8CEE22.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 9
  • F3D3F8D9-C44D-49D7-A808-11A3AA92ECDD.jpeg
    F3D3F8D9-C44D-49D7-A808-11A3AA92ECDD.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 9
they cut down a lot on the options for the 1 and 3, stuff like halogen non-auto headlights are gone but there’s still obvious boxes that most dealers tick. other markets are different of course
I imagine a strippie BMW is as rare as the $35K Tesla... I wonder what the average selling price of a 3 Series is? $40K? More? Of course the fast ones gotta be much more...

I personally like the idea as long as the pricing is reasonable. If you only keep a car for 5 years and only use the heated seat function for 2 months/year, this might be a less expensive approach.

You pay a subscription if there are updates, like onboard Navigation. Heated seats are fixed, tech.

it will not stop. in fact this trend will increase exponentially. corporations have watched, amassed data and analyzed human behavior in the last 28 months. they know what's up. they know they can get that money easily. and they will get it all.

How many will pay for it after they no longer own the vehicle!!! People will forget and keep paying which is part of the subscription model idea.

Back