Subies, the engines again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
new member here, thought id add to this.

Even though a new car burning oil is unacceptable, its also due to owner negligence. The owners manual for my '97 legacy with the ej22 engine, specifically states to check oil at every fill up. If you incapable of doing that, maybe you shouldn't own a vehicle..

You check your oil at every fuel up? Pretty sure every make/model/year vehicle I've ever owned recommended this somewhere in the OM.

Originally Posted By: JTK
You check your oil at every fuel up? Pretty sure every make/model/year vehicle I've ever owned recommended this somewhere in the OM.

Heck no. I check it once a week, no point checking it at every gas station. It hasn't used any noticible amount for the guy that bought it new, or for me

I think it is more about knowing your car. If I have a vehicle that never uses any oil between changes I'm just not going to check it that often. Then on the other hand if I own a car known to be a burner I'm going to be checking more often.

My brother has a 13 wrx, stock, 30,000 highway miles. Doesn't burn oil but shoots a puff of blue smoke on start up randomly.

I'm on the fence about Subarus. I would not own one with a H6.

The tough EPA regulations for emissions and mpg are ruining engines. Low tension piston rings. I've seen oil consumption in everything from Jeeps to Audis. My GF's Prius burns 1 qt of oil every 800 miles. A PRIUS! Which really just uses the gas engine on the highway. This is insane. The low tension piston rings coupled with the general lack of quality is to blame. It's a shame because the concept of a Subaru is very appealing and economical compared to the average SUV.

Of all the vehicles I service for friends and family, the newer ones are the oil burners. I also question the break-in practices of some car companies. BMW for example claimed that the oil burning in their cars was a result of US drivers not being hard enough on the engine and breaking in the rings properly. They claimed that driving the engine gently all the time caused the oil burning and improper seating of the rings. Meanwhile, my friend bought a new M4, and the dealer told him that they scan the computer at its first service interval. He isn't allowed to drive it hard or rev over a certain RPM until the first service or it voids the warranty.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Shark
My brother has a 13 wrx, stock, 30,000 highway miles. Doesn't burn oil but shoots a puff of blue smoke on start up randomly.

A co-worker's 2014 stock WRX puffs black smoke on cold startup. The turbo Subarus aren't quite "PZEV". LOL. He's reported zero oil consumption with his, but he doesn't do any of the maintenance himself.

Originally Posted By: Shark

A co-worker's 2014 stock WRX puffs black smoke on cold startup. The turbo Subarus aren't quite "PZEV". LOL. He's reported zero oil consumption with his, but he doesn't do any of the maintenance himself.

Black smoke indicates unburned fuel and blue-ish smoke indicates excess oil in the cylinders being burned. Blue smoke on a fairly new and low mileage vehicle is not a very good sign of things to come, even if at the moment there is no visible oil level drop on the dipstick.

...then if you excape all that its 600 bones to switch out the CVT fluid, how often do they call that out? thats 7,000 miles of fuel, whew...these Subies are akin to a TDI 'living in a nightmare' maintenance schedule.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
well that makes more sense.

I believe most CVTs cost a similar amount for a 'only if the computer tells you to' CVT fluid change. The TCU monitors the fluid in some way and can tell you when it needs replacing... but that's intended to be beyond the typical lifetime of a car driven in a normal manner (e.g. not towing or climbing hills all day).

The nice thing about Subaru's CVT is, they've got a large pan with a drain plug on the bottom and a level check/fill plug on the side of the case.

As far as I know, there's no magical fluid temperature slide-rule needed to determine proper level. There's a few DIY step/step tutorials on the interwebs for pan drops.

ya sorry but that's how they publish these problems..hundreds of them..

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2015/subaru/outback/?q=&page=1

You do realize if wade through some of them they are baseless.

Such as-
THE CONTACT OWNS A 2015 SUBARU OUTBACK. WHILE DRIVING 75 MPH, A PEBBLE STRUCK THE CONTACT'S WINDSHIELD AND CREATED A TWELVE INCH CRACK. UPON ARRIVING HOME, THE CRACK EXPANDED TO APPROXIMATELY SIXTEEN INCHES IN THE SHAPE OF THE LETTER "U". THE VEHICLE WAS NOT TAKEN TO A DEALER OR REPAIRED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOTIFIED OF THE FAILURE. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 12,000.

OK- a rock hit a windshield and broke -then the temperature changes caused the crack to spread. How many times each day does that happen?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: glock19
ya sorry but that's how they publish these problems..hundreds of them..

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2015/subaru/outback/?q=&page=1

First of all, it's only around 130 complaints, not hundreds. Secondly, here's your Highlander which I would consider a very reliable car and it has even more complaints.

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2006/toyota/highlander/

Likely typical Internet Hysteria, seems to amplify the problems when in reality they are not very significant in light of the total number produced.

We don't get to hear from the tons of customers who just use the car and like it just fine...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Likely typical Internet Hysteria, seems to amplify the problems when in reality they are not very significant in light of the total number produced.

We don't get to hear from the tons of customers who just use the car and like it just fine...

Precisely.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Precisely.

Yes-THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back