Subies, the engines again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
All manufacturers have cars that show symptoms like this on various models to some degree, frankly I see this as Subaru competitors because the company is becoming a huge success in the past several years. Everyone hates the top dog. LOL

Well at least you don't need a UCL. I wouldn't be happy at all with a quart every 1K i thing a fairer cut off would be 3K.
With the quality of rings available today there is no excuse for that kind of consumption.

Buuuuurrrrnnnnn![/quote]

Nah, more like BUUUULLL, but then you've probably never owned anything German either. [/quote]

No I haven't owned anything german, would love to but cant afford to.
You seem to take this personally, I am just having a laugh. I actually dont know anything about oil consumption on german cars beyond this forum and my friend who owns a BWM.

logic woulds suggest you'd develop systemic carbon issues eventually...I'd be hacked at Subaru too.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
logic woulds suggest you'd develop systemic carbon issues eventually...I'd be hacked at Subaru too.

It's funny too, because the majority of them are "PZEV" rated, so if you live in a PZEV State, a bunch of stuff, emissions related and otherwise is covered for 15yrs/150K. I'm curious to see how this pans out as time goes on.

In the meantime, the Subaru dealer by me is so busy (has been for years) you have to book an appointment with a sales person.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Nah, more like BUUUULLL, but then you've probably never owned anything German either.

I'm pretty sure you have something German, but I wasn't aware that Stihl was making cars now. That sounds pretty awesome!

I'll keep the Jetta for now. The wife seems to like it.

I do own a Stihl. Probably the best chainsaw you can buy.
I also own an old BMW that needs a quart of oil every 2.5K or so.
I've had a total of seven German cars. All required oil adds, unlike the many Japanese and American cars we've owned over the past few decades.
The Subies we've had have required little enough oil that you could ignore adds between changes, which was never the case with our German speaking rides.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth

Honestly, the big issue I have is Subaru claiming that oil usage of 1 quart in 1,300 miles is the cutoff between acceptable and a problem. How in the world is that level of oil consumption acceptable on a mass-marketed car? I have a motorcycle that spins over 11K rpm, puts 140HP out from 900cc's and shares motor oil between the engine and gearbox. I change the oil every 2K miles and I have never seen it use a measurable amount of oil. Why then would it be OK for a comparatively lazy car engine to use so much?

But what oil usage rate does your motorcycle's owners manual say is acceptable?

Not an excuse for oil burning but you can't compare the OM cutoff to the actual usage rate you see on your motorcycle. This is like all the people who compare EPA mileage ratings to what they see in the real world.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Subarus are great cars other than head gaskets ,oil leaks, engines blowing up and burning oil. Yeah they are great cars.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Subarus are great cars other than head gaskets ,oil leaks, engines blowing up and burning oil. Yeah they are great cars.

01.gif

Add failed transmissions, cracked blocks, premature brake failure, and paint problems to that list and you have a Honda.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

01.gif

Add failed transmissions, cracked blocks, premature brake failure, and paint problems to that list and you have a Honda.

Ed

And what AMERICAN MADE CAR do you drive and how old is it?

If they're using a quart on a thousand miles are you able to see it at the tail pipe?

I'm going to start looking closer at these Subies going down the interstate.

Last edited:
I feel bad for the owners with oil useage just under the one quart per 1,200 cutoff. Suby does seem to be stepping up to the plate for engines with oil useage greater than one quart per 1,200 miles and replacing the block without much pushback, at least now anyway. When the problem first showed up, Suby advised dealers to overfill the oil that would tend to hide the problem.

These issues do not seem to have affected buyers desire for the outbacks (a slightly larger and more comfortable car than the Forrester) as they do not sit on dealer's lots and need to be ordered for most buyers.

I'll post how my new 2016 Forester 2.5i does in the oil usage department. I did notice the dipstick is a different design than my previous FB20 and EJ25. The oil level is a hair past the full dot too.

Originally Posted By: JTK
The oil level is a hair past the full dot too.

I believe an FB25 engine that shows full on the dipstick when warm will be maybe half an inch over full when cold. That's where mine always is when I check the dipstick when it's cold.

Similar with the coolant. Mine's right on the full mark with a warm engine, and down to about half after the engine cools.

Originally Posted By: emg
Originally Posted By: JTK
The oil level is a hair past the full dot too.

I believe an FB25 engine that shows full on the dipstick when warm will be maybe half an inch over full when cold. That's where mine always is when I check the dipstick when it's cold.

Similar with the coolant. Mine's right on the full mark with a warm engine, and down to about half after the engine cools.

Wait a minute, you lost me here. Are you saying that when warm your oil level goes down and your coolant level goes up.

On all my stuff both oil and coolant levels increase when warm.
Maybe you are checking the oil level before it has a chance to drain back into the pan.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Maybe you are checking the oil level before it has a chance to drain back into the pan.

Yes. The FB25 engines seem to be filled to a level where they show 'full' when the engine is warm, and over full when the engine has cooled and the oil has all drained back down.

I think the manual says to check five minutes after shutting the engine off, whereas I'm normally checking it a couple of hours after shutting the engine off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back