Subaru to recall 875,000 vehicles for engine and suspension problems

Recalling is one thing, what are they going to do to fix these problems. This could range anywhere from (a) examining each vehicle to ensure no problems to (b) replacing engines and full suspension system on all vehicles with new engines and all new parts.

Asking for a friend.

thats what makes a Subaru a Subaru!! hopefully no one gets injured with these defects, my sister included!!

To anyone wondering, but not wanting to search: the stalling problem appears to be ECM related and not an actual mechanical problem. The mechanical problems are designed to occur later on in your Subaru ownership to add "charm" and "character" to the vehicle as well being a great time for the sales department to upsell a new vehicle (or a Fantastic Lease Opportunity!) vs. repairing your "junky old" Subaru with 122,537 miles on it. Nothing lasts forever, after all!

To anyone wondering, but not wanting to search: the stalling problem appears to be ECM related and not an actual mechanical problem. The mechanical problems are designed to occur later on in your Subaru ownership to add "charm" and "character" to the vehicle as well being a great time for the sales department to upsell a new vehicle (or a Fantastic Lease Opportunity!) vs. repairing your "junky old" Subaru with 122,537 miles on it. Nothing lasts forever, after all!

You raise a valid point. The advent of plastics and CAD of specific parts allows the manufacturer to create a part that has a finite life designed into it from day one. To single out Subaru is a little much though. I myself have a 17 Outback with the 3.6. I've had a window and battery issue and not thrilled with the weak windshield and cheaping out on the pleather seats. While I wouldn't buy one again, mine has been reliable for the about 90k I have on it. The real test is 120k to 200k ;) I say that for any car I own.

You raise a valid point. The advent of plastics and CAD of specific parts allows the manufacturer to create a part that has a finite life designed into it from day one. To single out Subaru is a little much though. I myself have a 17 Outback with the 3.6. I've had a window and battery issue and not thrilled with the weak windshield and cheaping out on the pleather seats. While I wouldn't buy one again, mine has been reliable for the about 90k I have on it. The real test is 120k to 200k ;) I say that for any car I own.
The Subaru flat 6 is the only good engine they've made in the last 30+ years. The Outback in my signature also has a flat 6, the EZ30, and the engine has been "good". It needed a rear main seal at ~90k miles for whatever reason and on older models the oil separator plate was a common issue. Besides that it's a decent car. It's also an LL Bean package so it has an actual limited slip diff in the rear.

My problem with Subaru is that it's death by a thousand cuts if you can't work on it yourself. Valve cover gaskets on most 4 cylinders (how most Subarus are ordered) are a $100 job tops. On a Subaru? I was quoted 250-400. This car is on its third set of rear wheel bearings and third set of front axles at just over 95k -- something to do with the axle geometry or something must be killing them. The second set of both were OEM replacements installed at the dealership.

IF you wrench on them yourself they're not hard cars to work on. Even a novice can pull an EJ25 or EZ30 in 3 hours. I'm pretty sure it's easier to pull the engine to do spark plugs and valve cover gaskets than it is to do it with the engine in place.

Regarding Subaru longevity, I just did the 100k major service on my 2004 Forester (5 speed manual). Timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, water pump, coolant flush, etc. It's been reliable with only minor unscheduled repairs over the years (just a few light bulbs, O2 sensor, IAC, spark plug wires). Head gaskets are fine, and no problems with brake rotors (still original) or wheel bearings. The valve cover gaskets seep oil, but not enough to merit replacing. Burns about 1 qt oil every 3000 miles, and always has since new.

Maybe I got lucky, but this Subaru has been as reliable as any Honda or Mazda that I've owned, which is quite good. Like any car, some people have problems with them, and some don't.

Regarding the recall, loose suspension. We got another Forester, a 2018 model, for my wife. The supension was so soft that I installed a stiffer rear sway bar. It was only a year old but those OEM bolts were so frozen in place it took me an hour to get them off. I almost resorted to sawing them off, but I finally got them off with a wrench and some fluid. I can't imagine those bolts actually coming loose!

The Subaru flat 6 is the only good engine they've made in the last 30+ years. The Outback in my signature also has a flat 6, the EZ30, and the engine has been "good". It needed a rear main seal at ~90k miles for whatever reason and on older models the oil separator plate was a common issue. Besides that it's a decent car. It's also an LL Bean package so it has an actual limited slip diff in the rear.

My problem with Subaru is that it's death by a thousand cuts if you can't work on it yourself. Valve cover gaskets on most 4 cylinders (how most Subarus are ordered) are a $100 job tops. On a Subaru? I was quoted 250-400. This car is on its third set of rear wheel bearings and third set of front axles at just over 95k -- something to do with the axle geometry or something must be killing them. The second set of both were OEM replacements installed at the dealership.

IF you wrench on them yourself they're not hard cars to work on. Even a novice can pull an EJ25 or EZ30 in 3 hours. I'm pretty sure it's easier to pull the engine to do spark plugs and valve cover gaskets than it is to do it with the engine in place.

"Death by a thousand cuts" :LOL: Very true! So far so good for my 17 OB. I keep vehicles to about the 10/12 year and 200k mile area. I can't give a thumbs up yet as I'm just getting to 90k. My theory is how you maintain the first 100k miles sets the table for the next 100k miles. I've had no mechanical issues as of yet and the CVT has been smooth and consistent. I'll report back in a few years when I pass 150k.

New cars are so complex these days that recalls are almost routine and expected. That's one of the reasons (aside from being cheap) that I stick with older models. Too much technology gone wild for my taste.

The "engine problem" is a software issue that is said can damage ignition coils after the engine is turned off. The fix is reprogramming the computer (trading old bugs for new bugs) and checking potentially affected components, replacing as needed.

"Suspension parts falling off" is possible loose bolts on the rear sway bar. Not exactly a problem with the entire suspension and your wheels aren't going to fall off.

our 2014 ouback 2.5 has been fantastic. the most reliable new car out of six total since 2007 or so. 80k miles, no oil consumption, only tires, rear brake pads, and serpentine belt and airbag fixes done for free by dealer.

That boxer 4 and CVT are either slow or driven by a demographic that drives slow. I'm no speed demon myself so it is saying something for me to point this out.

That boxer 4 and CVT are either slow or driven by a demographic that drives slow. I'm no speed demon myself so it is saying something for me to point this out.
I can't speak for most of Subaru's lineup, but the Crosstrek is amazingly slow.

yep. it’s slow. and it’s even slower until the engine warms up, there seems to be some sort of engine management that prevents full power until the idiot light indicating a cold engine turns off.

but it really has been a great car so far. easy oil changes, too.

years ago 2001 i tested an impreza outback, then a vw golf + bought a wolfsburg jetta that i traded at 200 thou running well. IMO the subies of that time were cheep tin cans!!

Back