Subaru: taller blue dealer filter vs. Wix 57055

Howdy folks.

I hope this isn't in here somewhere, because I didn't see it... My stash of black Tokyo Roki tall OEM filters is dwindling and I am about to place a RockAuto order. I was thinking about ordering a couple of these Wix filters. I thought I would touch base and see if they're good before I did that. Also, I don't drive the car a ton and generally stick to the 3750mi OCI, If this Wix is good does it make sense to pay for the XP version? I'm thinking that's primarily for long OCIs, which I won't be doing, so maybe there's no real point? If the blue OEM filter is just as good or better, I'll just hold off till this pandemic nonsense is over and get that at the dealer.

Thanks, Doug

Yes the Wix 57055 will work just as well as the Subaru OEM oil filter for the oil change interval of 3750 miles. Don't bother with the Wix XP as it is designed for longer intervals BUT has a much lower filtration efficiency all at a higher cost.

Napa Platinum is on sale this month for $5.99
smile.gif

I have used probably 6 different brands and 15 different models of the M20x1.5 filters on my various Subies over the years, from OEM, Wix, Mobil 1, EcoGuard, Fram, etc. I've used or inherited (Fram sizes) 6607, 7314, 3593A, a couple others, and a Wix 1347 humongo one. I used to run the biggest filter I could find at the time since Subarus have way more vertical clearance than diameter clearance, but realized that for an engine in decent condition you should never be able to plug a filter during a normal OCI.

Since I've come to the personal realization that "decent" filtering is almost secondary to the "will it stay intact for my OCI" question, filter choice then came down to 2 things: price and availability. So that has steered me to the XG7317 and Wix/Napa Gold (5)7055 filter. Yes, the Fram is by nearly every measure a quality tier higher than the 7055. But since WM has jacked the price up to $9+ for the Ultra, and the 7055 is available for $3.50 during the Farm and Fleet sale, I ended up on the Wix side of this argument- since I feel I must change the filter every time I change the oil.

The final, and for some the most important (yet possibly overblown), criteria for some is: does the filter meet Subaru's bypass requirement of 23psi for EJs or 27psi for FA/FBs? If you're in the "manufacturer bypass psi matters" camp, you're really left only with the 7055, as I have not found or used another filter that meets all Subaru requirements to the letter. I use the 7055s on every Subaru I own these days on both EJ and FBs.

Thanks folks, I ordered a couple of the Wix. I am a member of the "well they chose that high bypass pressure for a reason" camp, FWIW ;^)

Doug

My 08 Forester probably only saw a few filter changes that meet subaru's specs. 200K miles later.......
And I have Fram Ultras on my '18 and '19 subarus.

Back