Study: Top Tier Gasoline Worth the Extra Price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't use top-tier gasoline, you can put in a $5 bottle of Techron from Walmart once a month (assuming once in 1,000 miles, average driver).

The Math: As long as the top-tier gas is less than about ten cents per gallon more than the cheap gasoline, it's worth it to just use top-tier gasoline instead of hittin' the bottle (Techron; not Jack Daniels....).

Originally Posted by dave1251
Franchises are tested and if the franchisee is in violation the hammer is laid upon the offender.

Yes, in a big way, and it's so easy to detect. They'll even hammer you if you sell more fuel than you buy from them, since that means you're buying at least some non-branded fuel.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
If I buy a quart of Shell oil it plainly reads Shell on the label

The Shell gas station has shell on the pumps, on a huge sign on a pole, on the front of the station, etc. They brag about the gasoline on every pump you are filling your car from. Maybe some shady stations use non-Shell gasoline, but the test referenced indicated that whatever is actually put into the tanks at Top Tier gas stations, on average, produces a lot less deposits.

The Shell oil bottle I buy is bottled in a Shell bottling manufacturing facility with quality control processes.......not some random contract tanker delivery guy who delivers to ever mom and pop station on the same route. Having a Shell logo on the pumps don't mean diddly if the gas delivered is without V-Power additives and not the correct octane I'm paying for.
And if you think that doesn't happen....do some research and see the violations of improper fuel misrepresentation to the consumer.

Franchises are tested and if the franchisee is in violation the hammer is laid upon the offender.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
and it's so easy to detect.

How?

Yes, the marker molecules as mentioned are one way. Head office will also monitor sales. If a branded station's gasoline sales exceed what they buy from head office, there's a problem. Gasoline sales can be monitored in real time. We all know how often a truck shows up to a station. If head office detects enough gasoline sales for two or three truck visits when only one or none actually occurred, someone's got to be in trouble.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
All of us rely on the fuel dump and tanker truck driver to add the additives to the load and deliver us what we've all been told was what we pay for
None of really know what we're pumping in our tanks

Well, that's obvious, but I can tell you this. When I run cheap gas that is not Top Tier in my 08 Jeep 3.8, at about the 3rd fill up, I get noticeable pinging and knocking. It takes a tank of V-Power and a few Italian tune-ups to get it back to normal. It takes 3k to 5k miles to get there when running just Shell 87 gasoline, which comes from the same fuel supplier. I am 100% confident the additives in the Shell regular gas and most certainly in the V-Power.

I know Shell and others would easily be discovered and sued if they weren't doing what they advertise with their fuels. It wouldn't be hard for someone to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back