Study: Top Tier Gasoline Worth the Extra Price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/study-top-tier-gasoline-worth-the-extra-price/ar-BBVxMaI

Consumer Reports has no financial relationship with advertisers on this site.

Location and price drive gasoline sales, according to a 2016 survey by the American Automobile Association. But an extensive study also conducted by AAA, reveals that consumers would be wise to factor the quality of the gasoline in their purchase decision.
Using an independent engine testing lab that specializes in fuel analysis, AAA sought to answer the question: Is "Top Tier" gasoline worth the price? The short answer is yes.

What Is Top Tier Gas?
Gasoline is essentially a shared commodity, often stored in common containers until it is purchased by a major retailer. After that, the retailer treats the gas with a specific additive, thereby giving the fuel its brand identity. But are these additives just a dosage of marketing hype?
Top Tier gasoline was developed in 2004 to go beyond the minimum standard for detergent additives to better protect increasingly sophisticated engines from carbon buildup and deposits on the intake valves—which can result in a rough idle, acceleration hesitation, knocking/pinging, and reduced fuel economy.
Over the past 20 years, engines have become far more precise, operating under tighter tolerances and at higher compression ratios, while targeting cleaner emissions and improved fuel economy. To achieve these goals, eight automakers—Audi, BMW, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, General Motors, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, Toyota, and Volkswagen—have united in support of Top Tier gas, specifically recommending it to their owners with the goal of preserving their engines' original performance and emissions over time.

Top Tier Retailers
76, Aloha Petroleum, Amoco, ARCO, Beacon, BP, Breakaway, Break Time, Cenex, Chevron, CITGO, Conoco, Costco, CountryMark, Diamond Shamrock, Entec, Esso, Express Mart, Exxon, Fast Fuel, HFN, Hele, Holiday, Kwik Star, Irving, Kirkland Signature, Kwik Star, Kwik Trip, Marathon, Metro Petro, MFA, Mobil, Ohana Fuels, Phillips 66, PUMA, QT, Quik Trip, Road Ranger, Shamrock, Shell, Sinclair, Sunoco, SuperAmerica, SuperFuels, Texaco, Valero, Value America, Wow, and Win Win.

For its test, the lab operated an engine continuously for 100 hours on a cycle to represent 4,000 real-miles of use. The engine was then disassembled, photographed, and its key components weighed and measured to determine the thickness of carbon deposits. Six fuels were used, randomly selected and split among three basic gasoline sources and three Top Tier.
The results showed that on average, Top Tier gasoline had 19 times fewer carbon deposits on injectors, intake valves, and in the combustion chamber when compared to regular gasoline.
AAA also found Top Tier gasoline can have a cleansing effect, reducing intake valve deposits by 45 to 72 percent when used over a 5,000-mile interval. Variation in the results is attributed to the detergents used by different brands.
Further, analyzing gas prices over a 12-month period found just a three cent price difference between non-Top Tier and Top Tier gasoline.
Bottom line: For the nominal investment, this study shows that motorists would benefit from using Top Tier gasoline as their primary fuel.
Given the technological trend toward more sophisticated engines, we think the EPA should consider raising the minimum detergent standards to ensure all drivers benefit from the type of performance and longevity promised by Top Tier fuels.
Editor's note: The list of retailers was updated in April 2019.
Consumer Reports is an independent, nonprofit organization that works side by side with consumers to create a fairer, safer, and healthier world. CR does not endorse products or services, and does not accept advertising. Copyright © 2019, Consumer Reports, Inc.

I have learned that yes, there's an improvement in my Versa when using Top Tier. However, Valero needs to get their stuff together because some of their gas station use bad gas.
Also, Exxon is way better than SUNOCO. Chevron does feel better than Exxon.

No in the 1970's when I worked on the Pipeline everything below 95 octane was regular. Every thing below 92 was sub-octane regular. They are selling us crap!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
No in the 1970's when I worked on the Pipeline everything below 95 octane was regular. Every thing below 92 was sub-octane regular. They are selling us crap!

Times change, but octane has nothing to do with detergency. Both oil and gas are far better than the seventies. So are cars.

Last edited:
Caseys and Phillips 66 are the same price here. So unless all the pumps are full when I need gas I use the Top Tier fuel. Truck and Jeep run the same and get the same MPG with either fuel.

Most fuel is now "top tier" fuel. The craptastic refineries that just did it the cheapest way possible are nearly extinct and what you buy now from Joebob's filling station is often the same gas that the top tier station sells... of course each brand has their own trademark on what the detergent package is called, so Joebob can't say his has techron (or whatever) in it even if it does.

Last edited:
Many stations are priced nearly the same regardless of tier levels.

Top tier stations are usually the cheapest when counting pennies.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I've ran the cheapest RaceTrac gasoline and ZERO problems over the past 25 years with vehicles 150k+ miles.

We run thousands of dollars per month in fuel here. I cannot recall the last time I ever had a fuel related problem. We love our Racetracs because they are so busy! And they have the best coffee in town...

Yep ran the cheapest gas forever and even when I broke motors down never noticed a difference form any of them.

Also this "study" showed there were some areas where the top tier performed worse. And the "19 times fewer ..." is weasel language. 19 times of almost nothing is still almost nothing.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Many stations are priced nearly the same regardless of tier levels.

Top tier stations are usually the cheapest when counting pennies.

Not around here, Conoco around the corner from my home is around 30 cents more expensive per gallon "Non ethanol", than the Murphy/WalMart or Tobacco Plus 10% "ethanol" store where I have filled up for the last 30+ years with zero fuel related issues. Now, for my mowers or trimmers, I use the Conoco non ethanol 93 octane.

Considering TT station prices same or less around here, it's a no lose no brainer. Like QuikTrip/QT stations, however now earning Fuel Points for grocery shopping with BP participating, been filling up often there.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I have a SHELL station that is 3 blocks off the main street and their fuel prices are the same as the non tier gas but, their coffee is terrible. :) ed

Rare in my area. Shell regular is often 20 cents higher than some and V-Power premium 50 cents/gallon higher than other premium. Nice stores with vast beer selection brings in the customers.

I still can't quite believe that ARCO (TT) is cheaper than Safeway gas (not TT), this time it's just a penny but often it's $0.10 or more:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can tell by by running my obd scanner how a gas runs in my car... Checking misfires in each cylinder... No overall misfire codes for my car just to be clear.

However... Welfare gas from a Speedway had lots of misfires relatively speaking.. 18 in cylinder 1 the other 5 cylinders were 6-10... In 120 miles of cruising driving. Put Citgo in and eventually those numbers cane down. Then put in Shell gas and it came down to 0s except cylinder 1 with only 5 misfires in that in about 110 miles of similar driving.

Exxon and Shell have the least amount... Followed by Sunoco and Citgo.

Last edited:
I started using ESSO gas bc they have a good rewards program. Ironically, in the small city I moved to, there is a huge, new ESSO station right near my work.
Never too busy, lots of room, and good coffee...works for me!

Originally Posted by DGXR
I still can't quite believe that ARCO (TT) is cheaper than Safeway gas (not TT), this time it's just a penny but often it's $0.10 or more:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cash price listed?

Credit, other stations tend to be more. But ARCO only accepts debit, which only tacks on 35 cents to the entire transaction as their fee, instead of the usual 10 cents per gallon that companies that use credit card companies does.

Originally Posted by addyguy
I started using ESSO gas bc they have a good rewards program. Ironically, in the small city I moved to, there is a huge, new ESSO station right near my work.
Never too busy, lots of room, and good coffee...works for me!

When I drove my dad's Caravan as my fleet vehicle we had to fill up at Esso and that is all it ever saw. He always also used Esso because that is what is near him up in the rural parts where he lives so it seems to be good fuel. Terry is also a fan of it since they changed to the Synergy additives.

Originally Posted by DGXR
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow, $3.35 for Safeway gas in Calf? Our closest safeway with a gas station is 12 miles away and gas is $3.05/gal for regular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back