Strike two for Ford

I been on the hunt for a new car for the last six months and it hasn’t been easy as you can imagine. I liked the looks of the Bronco Sport so I placed an order for one on December 2nd, 2021 sight unseen since no one had them in stock at that time. I put a $500 refundable deposit down and ordered what options I wanted and this dealer sells all their cars at MSRP. They said it would arrive in 3-4 months, cool. It was the Big Bend trim with the 1.5T 3 cylinder. In January I found a dealer that had a used Big Bend on their lot so I went over there to check it out and test drive it. I liked the exterior and interior of it but the 1.5T was just terrible, it was course, loud, and you had to gun it to get any power out if it. Then I read Ford uses cylinder deactivation on this eninge, ***? I immediately removed the Bronco Sport from my list.

I went back to the dealer on January 26th and removed my name from the Bronco Sport order and ordered a Maverick with the Ecoboost. This was one day before Ford cut off all Maverick orders. This was another sight unseen order since no one has a Maverick in stock. Fast forward to today and I found a local dealer that actually had a demo Ecoboost Maverick. I went and test drove it and the “truck” did nothing for me. I felt the 2.0T had to much turbo lag and didn’t feel fast at all. I have been driving turbo 4 cylinders for the past 20 years and my last one was the VW 1.8T. The VW EA888 eats the 2.0T Ecoboost for lunch. Now the Maverick is off my list. I went back to the dealer and was refunded my deposit. I have driven the new Ranger with the 2.3T and I thought that engine had plenty of power for its application. I have never owned a Ford and every one in my price budget from them these days isn’t doing anything for me.
The best car to buy is one the dealer has on his Lot and that you can drive.

The best car to buy is one the dealer has on his Lot and that you can drive.

I have several new car dealers near me with ZERO (not spoken for) NEW inventory on their lots. Are you aware what inventory/market is like? I realize sometimes inventory can be regional but still.....

Last edited:
I have several new car dealers near me with ZERO (not spoken for) inventory on their lots. Are you aware what inventory/market is like? I realize sometimes inventory can be regional but still.....
The local Toyota dealers here are taking orders but your deposit is non-refundable.

2006 Ford Focus ZX5 2.0L automatic that I still drive to work with 259K on it. Replaced a water pump, thermostat, alternator, and a few sets of plugs.

I have several new car dealers near me with ZERO (not spoken for) NEW inventory on their lots. Are you aware what inventory/market is like? I realize sometimes inventory can be regional but still.....

Sure, I'm aware of the car market and now is not the time to, casually, buy a car.

The 2.7 seem much faster that they are! I would guess it is the power band. Most people are surprised at its performance especially for a 2.7
Motorweek had a 2018 F-150 crew cab Lariat with the 2.7 that did 0-60 in 5.7 sec

I DO think the hybrid is an exceptional value. A person could order an XL and put aftermarket CC on it and have very cheap and economical transportation.
Or you can replace the steering wheel buttons for about $60 and do some Forscan modifications and enable the factory cruise. Admittedly, that route isn't for everyone, but it is what I'll be doing to mom's Maverick when she gets back from AZ.

It all depends on what you want I suppose. We test drove an Escape with the 1.5L - hard pass. The 2.0 on the other had was great and we ended up purchasing one - a 2018. No regrets at all. Our son has a Fusion with the 1.5L and he does appreciate the mileage even though it is underpowered. No way I would touch anything with a CVT though, too many failures from what I've seen. I know there are some out there with high miles, but I'm not risking it.

I drive a car with a 4 cylinder N/A motor that is viewed by most as underpowered. That being said, I wouldn't buy a 1.5 liter turbo ever.

I test drove the CX-50 with the 2.5 and I liked it. It’s a good looking machine inside and out. My only gripe is the side mirrors, their shaped weird and are placed farther back on the door. I test drove the 2.5 Preferred Plus trim. I would get just the Preferred trim because I don’t like moonroofs. I really liked the cloth seat fabric, it feels like it would hold up over time. They won’t start making the Preferred trim until late summer.

View attachment 100471View attachment 100472View attachment 100473View attachment 100474
Had a rental for a week. Liked everything except the infotainment was a nightmare.

Id look at the Hyundai Santa Cruz. Its similar to a Maverick but much more stylish. Im with you on the Maverick. I actually think theres a lot to like about it but its just so bland and boring.

Reactions: Pew
Id look at the Hyundai Santa Cruz. Its similar to a Maverick but much more stylish. Im with you on the Maverick. I actually think theres a lot to like about it but its just so bland and boring.
I’ve seen a few of those around - I liken them to a truck version of the Tucson, much like the Maverick/Bronco Sport borrows heavily from the Escape’s BOM.

Now, where is Toyota or Nissan on the compact truck trend? I can see Toyota building a FF truck from the RAV4 variant of TNGA in the spirit of the old 1970-1990s Hilux/Tacoma.

I’ve seen a few of those around - I liken them to a truck version of the Tucson, much like the Maverick/Bronco Sport borrows heavily from the Escape’s BOM.

Now, where is Toyota or Nissan on the compact truck trend? I can see Toyota building a FF truck from the RAV4 variant of TNGA in the spirit of the old 1970-1990s Hilux/Tacoma.
Id love to see a Toyota truck that is built on the RAV4 platform, especially in a AWD hybrid option that gets 40 mpg. I dont see it though. I love Toyota but they are so conservative these days and seem to just want to rest on the laurels and stick to the status quo.
Id be fine with the Santa Cruz. My wife drives a '16 Tucson that she beats the heck out of (she already blew the motor up in it once and it was fixed under warranty) and doesnt take care of (never tells me when its due for oil changes until like a month after it tells her that its due) and at 75K its still going strong with minimal problems, which I dont think is bad considering it was one of the 1st of that generation of Tucson to come out of South Korea.

I love Toyota but they are so conservative these days and seem to just want to rest on the laurels and stick to the status quo.
If Elon Musk reads this forum, drop your bid for Twitter. Buy out Toyota, kill the Prius, Corolla, Camry, FR-S, BMW-based Supra and Tundra and make Toyota great again.

I am forced into using FORD with my company vehicles. I would NEVER, buy a FORD personally. I am watching Fusion after Fusion and Escape after Escape get trashed due to the issues with the short block. My Fusion had 82K on it, somewhere in there, and needed a new short block. Known issue, plaguing tons of the 1.5 EcoBoost Engines. FORD sent an estimate of $7200 to our fleet company.

If I had paid my money for that Fusion, I would be writing this from prison.......

Urshurak776,
The person picking your company vehicles was not smart. The fusions and escapes were avail in the 2.5L non ecoboost engines. In the Escapes however that would eliminate the ability for AWD. However would be a very smart move for the fusions. The 2.5L can go 300k with basic maint.

Urshurak776,
The person picking your company vehicles was not smart. The fusions and escapes were avail in the 2.5L non ecoboost engines. In the Escapes however that would eliminate the ability for AWD. However would be a very smart move for the fusions. The 2.5L can go 300k with basic maint.
YEah, SMART and my company don't mix.....

• Haha
Reactions: Pew
Back