24 Ford Maverick Hybrid No Longer Standard

Honestly, about time... As awesome of a deal as it was it made it unobtainium.

A couple months ago I was bored and went to a Ford dealer to see if they had any Mavericks. EcoBoost was $4K over MSRP and Hybird was $8K MSRP. Hope they can increase production and the new pricing is honestly still competitive and fine as long as they are 1. available and 2. at MSRP.

No surprise. Supply and demand. High demand, so it must be worth more.

I wonder if Ford was selling at cost or below initially? so as to drum up demand? Whatever it was, they seem to have done it right, if they can't build enough that is.

No surprise. Supply and demand. High demand, so it must be worth more.

I wonder if Ford was selling at cost or below initially? so as to drum up demand? Whatever it was, they seem to have done it right, if they can't build enough that is.

I honestly wonder why they did it. The "new" pricing seems totally competitive in todays market. And the "cheap" pricing they had before just meant nobody could get one at MSRP. So really, no point. They likely make more profit per unit now. Besides, the margins on hybrid are lower than on traditional ICE only vehicles so it was always weird the hybrid was standard and the ICE was extra. Now it's reasonable IMO.

I honestly wonder why they did it. The "new" pricing seems totally competitive in todays market. And the "cheap" pricing they had before just meant nobody could get one at MSRP. So really, no point. They likely make more profit per unit now. Besides, the margins on hybrid are lower than on traditional ICE only vehicles so it was always weird the hybrid was standard and the ICE was extra. Now it's reasonable IMO.
Playing the odds? I mean, bringing a new model to market is a gamble. Ford, the maker of the almighty body on frame, part time 4x4, big ole 'murica pickup, attempting to sell a unibody faux-trucklet? What could go wrong?

If they lowballed the price, and sales were so-so, they could at least move those units and kill the line off at the first chance. If they priced too high, no one would bother to look in the first place. So sell for a loss, or around that, gauge the interest, test the waters. Now it's established, so no more risk, so they can charge accordingly.

Just my take.

I am eager for other car companies to make a better competator to the Mavrick. There are boatloads of international examples if it wasnt for us fat americans screwing up our own market. Thailand, South America, China, hurry up and sell to us misers please.

I am eager for other car companies to make a better competator to the Mavrick. There are boatloads of international examples if it wasnt for us fat americans screwing up our own market. Thailand, South America, China, hurry up and sell to us misers please.
I for one don't want their vehicles here. Sorry 😔

There is not high demand for these just low production. Ford am does not make as much on them so not really making production a priory like SUVs and Pickups with intense profit margins.

There is not high demand for these just low production. Ford am does not make as much on them so not really making production a priory like SUVs and Pickups with intense profit margins.
100,000 cancelled hybrid orders (by Ford)

You must be reading this guys stuff too often

Obviously it’s a failure because too many people want a truck Ford doesn’t appear to want to make

Real men don't drive Mavericks anyway.
So I've been poking around HI's Marketplace listings and there's a lot of JDM imports from JP for island trucks.

This '90 Subaru is injected, supercharged, 4wd and allegedly has working a/c. It's also got a diff lock but I'm unclear if it's an actual diff lock or center diff lock. There's plenty more similar from Honda, Suzuki etc, although I think most are 2wd. The Subaru Sambar is also available in a van config that I think would have hipster overlanders trampling each other.

By my crude reasoning, if it's already legal in HI with a HI title it should be easy to title anywhere in los Estados Unidos. Perhaps not. I've done ZERO research on that. And I'm assuming non-emissions areas.

Also, based upon 1.2 seconds of intense web search research, it's allegedly about $1500 to $3k to ship a vehicle from HI to the city of angels.

Seems to me a possible business opportunity to bring these to the mainland and appeal to 1) guys who want simple, fuel efficient trucks and 2) overlanders who will pay stupid money because, well.....[insert stupid reason here]

There must be other good reasons this isn't already being done, or maybe it is and I'm simply not aware.

I don't like Subaru but I'd totally rock this as a parts runner every day!!

Screenshot_20240301_082517_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240301_082451_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240301_082441_Facebook.jpg

Seems to me a possible business opportunity to bring these to the mainland and appeal to 1) guys who want simple, fuel efficient trucks and 2) overlanders who will pay stupid money because, well.....[insert stupid reason here]
Problem is, those mini-trucks tend to get limited as to where they can be driven. And I bet they are really scary out on our highways...

Useful for some though.

I keen an eye on CL and they do pop up, usually like $7k or higher. And I couldn't legally drive mine to the transfer station to take trash there, nor a run to the hardware store. Really puts a stop on the idea, that.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
Problem is, those mini-trucks tend to get limited as to where they can be driven. And I bet they are really scary out on our highways...

Useful for some though.

I keen an eye on CL and they do pop up, usually like $7k or higher. And I couldn't legally drive mine to the transfer station to take trash there, nor a run to the hardware store. Really puts a stop on the idea, that.
Curious: who's enforcing this in your area? In much of the west, it's either a licensed motor vehicle, or it's not. It's pretty much binary.

Some municipalities have parking restrictions for, say, CCLBs that might protrude into the lane when parked, but that's it.

Back