American dealership selling 2021 Canadian Ford Bronco Sports

Might also explain why a 6.0 gas 1 ton has a 200mph speedometer. Unless I drop it from a plane with a rocket engine I don't think it will ever see that. LOL

Last edited:
Exactly. Here is an XTR (Canadian F150 FX4) being sold in the U.S. on Ebay with the U.S. instrument cluster. https://www.ebay.com/itm/275088278208?hash=item400c8a02c0:g:JYcAAOSwck9h0o86&LH_ItemCondition=3000|1000|2500
Just going to tell you that if you go look at a Canadian vehicle sold on a dealer lot in the US that doesn't have a digital display, they are converted to Miles being the "big numbers" and kph being the little ones...

You can argue all you want about needing it, I'm just telling you it gets done so the buyer doesn't ask too many questions... Everyone I've ever looked at had this done. And that number is more than 5 and less than 10....

And Since I visit Canada on a fairly regular basis for fishing, I'm well aware of the dual markings.
And I’m telling you that is not a requirement. and you are only looking at certain dealer. Don’t try turn it into a all encompassing statement. Your second paragraph says it’s “ it gets done so the buyer doesn’t ask too many questions. “. That part may be true for certain dealers. Hope you like the fishing. We should be having this discussion over a Canadian beer. :)

Last edited:
One more for you - it isn't the dealer doing the change. By the time it hits auction, its already been done.

The line for this:

"Hymus said he spends about $300 per vehicle to change the speedometer from kilometers to miles, and another $700 or so on transport and other expenses."

Again, you may say it doesn't have to be done. Point being it is done and is common practice.

This all started around posts 16-20 where you mentioned the odometer gets toggled and I said that only works for the odometer since some speedometers are only marked in the units of their home country. Sure, some have both but not all, and most drivers want to see the large font units of where they drive. That's why most importers replace the clusters. No I don't know if it's a federal requirement for U.S. to have odometers and/or speedometers in miles, not going to look that up. I did find where they did away with requiring both mph and kph markings on the speedometer in the U.S. as of Feb. 2001, https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2000-05-15/pdf/00-11493.pdf

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 49 CFR Part 571 [Docket No. NHTSA–00–7144] RIN 2127–AG55 Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; FMVSS 101—Technical Correction—Speedometer Display AGENCY: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), DOT. ACTION: Final rule. SUMMARY: This technical amendment corrects an error in Table 2 of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 101 as a result of a final rule published September 24, 1998. In that notice the agency adopted language for the speedometer display as ‘‘MPH and/or km/h’’. The effect of this language is to allow speedometers labeled in miles per hour (MPH) alone, kilometers per hour (km/h) alone, or both miles and kilometers per hour. The intent was to require speedometer display in miles per hour, and to allow the addition of kilometers per hour at the option of the manufacturer. This amendment changes the language of Table 2 to ‘‘MPH, or MPH and km/h’’. DATES: This final rule is effective February 15, 2001. Optional early compliance with the change made in this final rule is permitted beginning May 15, 2000.

And I don't fish nor drink beer. Make it some poutine with Canadian bacon and I'll be right over.

Around 2011 when the CAN and US dollar where near equal a guy at work bought two new Subaru Tribeca's out of the US for him and his parents. I think he saved ~$8k on each. Subaru Canada wouldn't honor the warranty but Subaru of America would, they told him to take it to a reputable private garage for warranty work if it needed it and they would reimburse him. I don't think he ever had a significant issue with either of them so it worked out fine in the end.

This all started around posts 16-20 where you mentioned the odometer gets toggled and I said that only works for the odometer since some speedometers are only marked in the units of their home country. Sure, some have both but not all, and most drivers want to see the large font units of where they drive. That's why most importers replace the clusters. No I don't know if it's a federal requirement for U.S. to have odometers and/or speedometers in miles, not going to look that up. I did find where they did away with requiring both mph and kph markings on the speedometer in the U.S. as of Feb. 2001, https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2000-05-15/pdf/00-11493.pdf

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 49 CFR Part 571 [Docket No. NHTSA–00–7144] RIN 2127–AG55 Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; FMVSS 101—Technical Correction—Speedometer Display AGENCY: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), DOT. ACTION: Final rule. SUMMARY: This technical amendment corrects an error in Table 2 of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 101 as a result of a final rule published September 24, 1998. In that notice the agency adopted language for the speedometer display as ‘‘MPH and/or km/h’’. The effect of this language is to allow speedometers labeled in miles per hour (MPH) alone, kilometers per hour (km/h) alone, or both miles and kilometers per hour. The intent was to require speedometer display in miles per hour, and to allow the addition of kilometers per hour at the option of the manufacturer. This amendment changes the language of Table 2 to ‘‘MPH, or MPH and km/h’’. DATES: This final rule is effective February 15, 2001. Optional early compliance with the change made in this final rule is permitted beginning May 15, 2000.

And I don't fish nor drink beer. Make it some poutine with Canadian bacon and I'll be right over.
Twelve year data, but it says you don’t have to have km on the Odometer, but they all do unless they were imported from a country outside of the North American Free trade agreement. This includes electronic speedometers that can be toggled.

Sticker for what? The distance the vehicle has been driven hasn't changed, just the unit of measurement. It's not like the old days when you had to put a sticker in the door jamb if the odometer was replaced. Many places do this service. https://usspeedoimporting.com/speedometer-conversion/
Vehicles originally sold in Canada will have a sticker saying transport CANADA with a red male leaf. It will be on the driver’s side door jam. If non digital, the outside large lettering on the speedometer will be in Km on the outside and mph on the inside. If you see one that was not altered with MPH on the outside, it was imported into Canada after being in the USA and would not have the sticker with the red maple leaf. Thousands of these were imported between 2008 and 2015.

Last edited:
in the late 90's early 2k' , there was a thriving market for honda and toyota mini vans in the PNW. car dealers would drive up to BC and relay them back to the seattle area . the demand and the favorable exchange rate made it a lucrative endeavor .

i bought one of the canadian oddeseys . they changed the speedo. but everything like the climate control was in metric. No Honda America warranty either as Honda oF America and Honda of Canada are 2 separate entities. So they got an aftermarket warranty.

It's not a requirement that they can be toggled. The overlay can often be changed to whatever standard you want to show (miles, kms or both). For the F150 a lariat and up (edit: not even lariats are full digital and require an overlay as well) will have a digital speedo that can show both. XL and XLT clusters can be changed using an overlay and there is no toggle. Here's a long thread of cluster swap info for the F150:

Here's my 2009 F150 cluster. KMS on the outside and MPH on the far inside. This truck was sold to an exporter heading straight south to the USA from Calgary in 2016. I watched him drive it up the ramps of the carrier. Most Dealers were changing the overlay to MPH on the outside upon arrival. Notice how small the MPH reading is. Nothing was digital about that dash.

20170428_180936.jpg

Here are the overlays available to swap the gauges:

Last edited:
That only changes the odometer. Speedo still in kph.

mileage-min.jpg
Many cars today have a digital cluster, meaning the round looking gauges are just an image on a screen. No changes needed. Not sure if these do or don't have a virtual instrument cluster.

Bought my 21 Bronco Sport used with only 200 miles on it from PA used dealer lot. They told us it was from Canada & only issue was a small blurry area on corner of cluster. Purchased it, took it to local Ford dealership who ordered a new cluster. Put the new cluster in, picked it up & looked great.They had said that it was having programming issues but everything was working fine. Week later they called us to say Ford sent them a different cluster & to bring it back in. Picked it up & noticed it now has a odometer with Kilometer instead of the mph that I had purchased it with (see pic). Sucks. The dealer says it has to call Ford again. WTH.

Attachments

• EBE1500E-7E86-456D-B58B-A54F5FE2DD19.jpeg
    EBE1500E-7E86-456D-B58B-A54F5FE2DD19.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 10
When I was shopping last May, about half of the cars here in IA were Canadian imports. The Rogue I bought was, and they had 3 more on the lot. There was an XTR F150 in the parking lot near my Canadian Rogue last night. I see the XTR badge here often.

We even see Rogue Sports labeled as Quasquai’s here.

Back