Strange thing customers do where I work

Here is a better view of the piles of products as well as the wall that divides them. There are 11 in all. You can see the numbers.

The people park and completely block the product. Like someone else said maybe they think I'm going to hand shovel it!
Seems good for a laugh, bring out the shovel and hand it to them, and say "or you could move your vehicle forward 10 feet".

You start with the assumption of basic human standard of common sense and when that proves insufficient you put up signs.

Leo, NO!! Signage is only to cover your arse from lawsuits. These people don't heed signage. Apples to orange comparison but take one of my favorite places, White Mts. NH. I've been climbing there for almost 35 years, over 50 winter ascents of Mt. Washington via multiple routes; some ice gullies and some less technical routes. World's deadliest mountain. Over those years more and more signage notifying of the dangers was erected and it hasn't stopped those "less inclined cognitively" from some of the absolute ignorant decisions made. The rescues are pathetic and a high % is from people completely unprepared for the weather that this mountain is known for. I mean, come on!! If you plan on a Himalayan trip you come here to train.

Ignorance is bliss, until it isn't.

A simple overhead diagram showing the pile, the customer's truck, and how the loader moves between them would help them a lot.

Leo, NO!! Signage is only to cover your arse from lawsuits. These people don't heed signage. Apples to orange comparison but take one of my favorite places, White Mts. NH. I've been climbing there for almost 35 years, over 50 winter ascents of Mt. Washington via multiple routes; some ice gullies and some less technical routes. World's deadliest mountain. Over those years more and more signage notifying of the dangers was erected and it hasn't stopped those "less inclined cognitively" from some of the absolute ignorant decisions made. The rescues are pathetic and a high % is from people completely unprepared for the weather that this mountain is known for. I mean, come on!! If you plan on a Himalayan trip you come here to train.

Ignorance is bliss, until it isn't.
You mean climbing with ropes and carabiners and whatnot? I didn't know you did stuff like that.

The signs might deter a few people.

You mean climbing with ropes and carabiners and whatnot? I didn't know you did stuff like that.

The signs might deter a few people.

I'm 50 and have too much responsibility now to climb ice. It's an ever-changing, dangerous medium to navigate. Most of my climbs were Class II or III unroped. I've done them all in Hungintons Ravine (Odell's,Central, Yale, ****ation) and a few roped Class IV and easier V's in NH and VT. Those days are gone. I've never done any serious V + technical climbs. And I love rock scrambles but never liked to climb rock. If you want to see something pretty cool, the link is Black Dike on Cannon Mt. (Franconia, NH). I kick myself for not getting this one under my belt. I am hemming and hawing paying a guide to be roped to after knee replacement to get this done. I love this climb. Nothing extreme but an awesome climb if the weather is on your side.

Here is where my issue lies. When I was young and dumb and full of bravado there were signs, especially in the Pinkham Notch area noting how dangerous the ravines were. They worked fine but the signage changed and the heavy push of the Forest Service avalanche forecast became so negative and foreboding anyone with the will to live would never attempt to even hike in winter. Often times the conditions were as good as your going to get. Yet the portrayal was extreme.

These warnings are written in such a manner I find it ridiculous. I have every AMC White Mt guide book in the last 30 years. Next one is due this October. I have spoken to one of the writers (he also has a bad knee!!; really nice guy). BUT the guidebooks have moved from informative to striking fear into the reader. All due to lawsuits.

I had to learn the hard way and expect the wild to remain wild. You make a decision to climb or hike in winter you own it. I've had Stage II hypothermia on Mt. Adams in January 98 and had a nasty slide at the area of the alluvial fan, Huntington's Ravine in February 2000. The slide was the scariest. Felt like I was traveling at incredible speed and couldn't get my ice axe dug in. Huntington's snow load often gets wind loaded over Raymod Cataract into Tuckerman's ravine. I'm alive today because the snow load was deep in Huntington's and I did not hit my head on any rock outcroppings before I slowed down. It felt like I went all the way to Al Dow's rescue cache. I didn't go quite that far but it was a substantial distance....and **** fast!

Way winded way to say IMO more signage doesn't work for the numb, but has a negative deterrent effect for those that are largely responsible and have a basic level of common sense. I think NY is a prime example. We have a billion signs all over our highways and nobody even pays attention to them as they are so overdone. Ever try an read a NYC parking sign? The person who wrote it doesn't know what it means.

i find if there are two doors divided by a short wall, they park in front of the wall and block BOTH doors.

People are funny i used to work a place that had 3 bays with doors on both ends of the bay, they were clearly designed as pull throughs, no one would ever pull trough. usually there was a car in the end bay, if you parked it the wrong way they would drive all the way around the building to not pull in form the wrong way.

If you can get the first few to do it how you want, you may be off to a good start.

When they pull into the yard all it would take is a little direction and where to park from the pile.
I agree with this. My natural inclination would be to avoid blocking the other bays - meaning the only place I can pull up without potentially inconveniencing others is right in front of the bay I want. A little direction would go a long way. If the office staff would just say "pull up to one of the adjacent bays" the problem is solved. Anyway, now I know and am grateful for the OP's question and the responses.

Back