Do I have a beef with UPS over the amount of this charge?

LSS I bought a tool from a company one state over and gave them my UPS account number thinking the shipping charge would be cheaper. UPS charged me $22.55 on my account which is SUPPOSED to be lower than the over the counter rate of $17.42 shown here for ground:

over the counter rate.jpg

When I check Shippo, their rate is $13.27 which is about what I was expecting. I've been back and forth emailing UPS customer service trying to get this charge adjusted but it's like talking to a brick wall.

I just ordered a case of 5,000 wads for shotshell reloading. The shipping was $31.25. They're light, but bulky. I think that is reasonable. Especially when you factor in the inflation rate we've been experiencing over the last 3 years.

Fuel, packaging materials, parts and maintenance on all their vehicles and aircraft, have all gone way up. They're not going to eat the cost, anymore than the grocery store owner is. As always, we the end consumer, end up taking it in the shorts.

Was that the exact package size? Boxes are measured in the DC via an automated system

Did they add a fuel surcharge?

DId they ship to a residential address vs your generic quote above - costs more.

And yes, will be like talking to a brick wall unless your a super special 1/2 mil customer.

Less than $10 isn't worth the time to deal with it.
It's five bucks, not worth the fuss.
That's not the issue. That they charged more using my account (which is supposed to give a discount compared to the over the counter rate) is my beef. Is every package I send from now on going to be charged like that?

Was that the exact package size? Boxes are measured in the DC via an automated system

Did they add a fuel surcharge?

DId they ship to a residential address vs your generic quote above - costs more.

And yes, will be like talking to a brick wall unless your a super special 1/2 mil customer.
Package size is shown above in the screenshot of the over the counter rate, as is residential address.

1) USPS rates went up last week. Could someone have crafted their own increase (proper or not) somewhere along the line?
note: A relative called it "JLT" pricing. JLT = Just Like That.

2) Is there a "come and fetch this package" service (with a surcharge) the shipper could have initiated on your behalf?

3) Left column, Bottom of Box #2: "Rates may vary at retail locations"?

Last edited:
If that is true, wouldn't my rate be no more than the over the counter rate? I mean, why would anyone have a UPS account for the privilege of being charged MORE for shipping?
"UPS accounts just are set up to abuse the customer." (just like Size 10 shoe print in the middle of my radiator box and all the other run over and smashed packages)

How can I post this incident on social media so that it goes viral and someone higher up at UPS sees it? Kinda like when someone gets a ridiculous phone bill and they blow up on tic tok after posting about it.

UPS charged me $22.55 on my account
Since it showed up on your UPS bill, it does mean the shipper used your account. Look at your bill: Does everything match when it comes to dimensions, weight, residential surcharge, etc ? Your bill will have a breakdown. Did UPS add an "extended delivery surcharge" ?

Back