Straight 30 weight in my Pathfinder?

Got 5 quarts of HD-30 from a coworker. Any reason I couldn't run it in my Pathfinder for an OCI? I usually run 5w30 or 10w30 in it.

It's daily driven and it's been 105+ degrees outside lately so cold start temperature shouldn't be a problem.

Obviously I wouldn't consider doing this in the winter, but for the summer I'd be okay right?

I believe it's API SL which is older but I've ran API SH and slept fine at night.

Heck, I'm pretty sure 3 of the 5 random quarts of oil I ran on my last OCI were API SH from the 90s. Held up just fine for 5,000 miles lol.

My dad gave me about 15 quarts of Texaco Havoline sae 30 years ago. I would pour in one quart in place of 5w30 to use it up.

Shouldn’t be a problem but if concerned, just substitute one quart each oil change till gone.

Or mail it to me and I will use it up
The oldest oil I ever used I actually used in the Pathfinder last year lol.

It was a full quart of Quaker State 10w40 and it was in the round white bottle with the green cap and it said "Pennsylvania grade crude" on the label. I got it with a bunch of other old oil on FB marketplace. It was almost green in color.

I mixed it with 4 quarts of newer oil I had on hand and ran it for about 4,000 miles. No issues.

These Nissan engines are picky ones (long timing chain, prone to fail tensioner guides, takes long time to warmup, etc...), I'd use that oil in a lawn mower or whatever and not in the Pathfinder and stick to 5w30.
If anything a straight grade would benefit the chain due to it's higher base oil viscosity.

SL is not that old I would just use it then.
That Pathfinder has the VQ35 engine in it which has been around for ~2 decades. My '08 with the same engine design specs API SJ.

That said, I think I'd skip that oil.... I would have told the person I'm not interested in it and avoided the whole dilema ! 🤣

Once upon a time straight weight oil was cheaper than multi-viscosity oil. You can believe I ran many thousands of miles in vehicles with 30wt in the oil pan. Or, you can just use it in your OPE.

I don't think I would use it straight, maybe 50/50 w/ 5w30. Sometimes I will add a qt of 30w into my car for top-off and you can tell it's in there but it is a 4 cyl. I've found the newer 30w is all rated SN/SP nowadays.

I've noticed the oil pressure gauge takes a lot longer for it to drop down to where it normally is when it's in the crankcase. I've also found it helps with top-off and doesn't go through as much oil between changes.

That particular engine - while the bottom end is as old as the hills they did add VVT to it, and the VQ's in general are a little prone to sticky VVT actuators - ie old oil, dirty oil, etc can occasionally cause a an issue with the VVT actuator not moving properly. I doubt one cycle of SAE 30 would do that, but to save 20 bucks I wouldn't personally take the chance, or as mentioned use it as a top up or 1 quart per change - IMHO.

That particular engine - while the bottom end is as old as the hills they did add VVT to it, and the VQ's in general are a little prone to sticky VVT actuators - ie old oil, dirty oil, etc can occasionally cause a an issue with the VVT actuator not moving properly. I doubt one cycle of SAE 30 would do that, but to save 20 bucks I wouldn't personally take the chance, or as mentioned use it as a top up or 1 quart per change - IMHO.
The absence of VII could make the 30W oil superior in that regard.

Back