STP Oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually get my oil changed at TiresPlus (owned by Firestone). They use STP oil filters. Are these good, bad? Where do they fit in? I plan on doing an AutoRX treatment when I get my oil changed, and want a good filter. They said I can bring my own filter and oil if I want. I have done research here and will go with a Wix or NAPA gold if the STP is not very good.

Several years ago I hauled several loads of filters for Champion Laboratories. They make about 60% of the oil filters made in the USA. I talked to a fellow that did the testing for burst pressure, flow rate, restriction, and I don't remember what else. I asked him which one he used, it was STP. the filters were to each brands specifications.

Charlie For got to say I'm a truck driver.

I have used the STP filters and I've cut them open afterwards. They seem to be built well but they suffer the same issues that many other filters suffer. The pleats are always unevenly spaced at the point where the media is joined and the media seemed awfully thin to me. The thin media may not be a issue though. The STP canisters are nice and thick and this gives the feeling of a strong and well built housing.

I have never seen a STP filter fail even after 10,000 miles on a engine. In comparison I have seen Fram filters have holes in their media and the media be torn where the uneven spacing has allowed bridging of the media and the oil pressure would tear the pleats. The thin STP media has stayed together nicely even during the extended drains while the Fram has deteriorated to the point of disintegration when left on a engine too long.

For the price that I pay at my local AutoZone for STP I have opted to go to Wal-Mart and save the $2-$3 per filter and just use the SuperTech. They appear to be built exactly alike although I have no idea about the filter papers. I once wrote to a company (Mann-Hummel in Germany) and asked them what was the difference in many of the same sized units that they produced. They told me that they had 17 different filter papers and they made the filters to whatever specifications the engine manufacturer called for. Some papers were good for long drain intervals, some were good for high filteration with less flow, and some were just good for high flow and average filteration. They would not tell me any specifics about what different companies required.

So, after this long winded posting I'm going to say that the STP's would be great to use. Just my humble opinion of course.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
snip.... They told me that they had 17 different filter papers and they made the filters to whatever specifications the engine manufacturer called for. Some papers were good for long drain intervals, some were good for high filteration with less flow, and some were just good for high flow and average filteration.
snip....
grin.gif

Extremely good point. Maybe the paper Fram uses is good enough to make up for only having half as much as ST, STP, and others. That said, until I find somebody around here stocking PF 1177's, my truck is wearing an ST 3950. They look almost as good or better than anything I have used except the AC. Wally's is convenient, even if they did jack up the price of 5 quarts of Pennzoil to $7.88. Aruuuuuuuuuugh

quote:

Maybe the paper Fram uses is good enough to make up for only having half as much as ST, STP, and others.

If a filter flows as well with less surface area, chances are that it is not filtering as well. Of course this is a dangerous generalization, and it is coming from someone who does not know a lot about filter media.

BTW... I was mad to see that the Pennzoil price went up. I just bought a $7.88 jug yesterday!
wink.gif

I use the ST Wally World brand on both of my vehicles 4.0L Jeep and 500HP 383 LT1 Firebird and have had great luck with both. If you change your oil every 3,000 I would rather have the higher flow and better pressure to keep my main bearings separated from the block and crank journals.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back