STP oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like he said. Champion Labs. (Not the same as the spark plug company) But they make a lot of filters, good and bad designs, for a lot of names. Champion makes some excellent filters but, in my opinion, stay away from these. They seem to be the same "ecore" design as the new style AC/Delco Duraguard filters and SuperTech filters. I say don't bother with them.

Yes, they are Champions and likely Ecores. The Ecore has replaced the metal end caps and center tube with non woven material and a plastic cage. The design is several years old. I haven't seen any credible information posted here proving a problem with them. Somebody needs to drudge through the UOA section.

Likely you can get the same filter for less at Wal-Mart as an ST.

Here's what I don't like about ecores. How does enough oil get in to get through to the engine?

DSC01130.jpg

You mean around the outside circumference? Easy enough. It adds up to a big enough hole. You'll find the same or near same situation on all of the better filters. Some will have a smaller media pack in a larger can (I've never seen it, myself, but others apparently have).

I can't go into another epic tale, but it's not an issue of merit.

these filters are scrap,the nice paper/hard bored end caps peel off very very easly the glueing is bad in many spots,paper thin media too,you couldn't pay me to run this junk,i've cut many open and there all the same.

DSC01130.png

That pictures says it all. That is the reason I avoid E-Cores at all cost. I know Champion Labs says it is thermal bonded and I have seen and heard many reports of many filters samples having defects in workmanship pertaining to bonding flaws that would allow dirty oil back into the engine. Sad because for so many years Champion Labs STP, Lee and Champ brands were inexpensive and high quality.

Originally Posted By: mimelio
I know Champion Labs says it is thermal bonded

thermal bonded my a$$ them end caps peel off VERY easly,it's scary.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
these filters are scrap,the nice paper/hard bored end caps peel off very very easly the glueing is bad in many spots,paper thin media too,you couldn't pay me to run this junk,i've cut many open and there all the same.

DSC01130.png

You must have bad luck. I've cut a few open and they are perfect. Have to use pliers and yank hard on the end cap to get it to tear (same with Fram for that matter).

BillinUtah has cut several open as well and they are perfect.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Have to use pliers and yank hard on the end cap to get it to tear (same with Fram for that matter).

Haha your kidding right,pliers????????,,every one just peels right off buy hand,easly that i have.....

well u and Bill can have em all.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: daman

Couldn't agree more. I think I would use a Fram before these pieces of junk.

Champion Labs is even moving their venerable AC Delco line to e-cores.

I've got a vehicle or two that I use the AC's on.

Guess I better stock up!!!

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Champion Labs is even moving their venerable AC Delco line to e-cores.

Yea i've noticed
mad.gif
,,thats why i've been shifting gears and running all UPF,FG and WIX/NG oil filters.

I have been using the Nascar Select (made by Wix.)They have good flow and noticed start up "ticking" went away in all my vehicles.
I buy them at NAPA for about 3.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back