Stowaway was discovered alive in the landing gear on AA flight from Guatemala City to Miami

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
AA flight #1182 just arrived at Miami. Came from Guatemala City. A male stowaway was discovered alive in the landing gear.

AA.gif

Last edited:
It’s unusual that anyone is found alive. Usually they die from hypoxia and freeze to death, then fall out while the airplane is on approach. Or get crushed by the landing gear as it retracts.

I once read that the airport with the highest number of dead bodies from this type of situation is Heathrow.

Yeah there's not much oxygen above 25,000 feet. And it can extremely cold too.

Interesting to note how our b-29 bomber crews in WW II had to deal with the low oxygen be and severe cold....

Interesting to note how our b-29 bomber crews in WW II had to deal with the low oxygen be and severe cold....

The B-29 was pressurized, though to what amount of a normal atmosphere I do not know. The crew did not have to wear oxygen masks in normal flight.

The B-17, B-24, B-25 were not pressurized.

Pressurized B29s were primarily deployed to the warmer Pacific theater where as the B17 B24 were primarily deployed to the colder European theater so without pressurization to keep flyers warm they donned the F2 heated flight suit...

WW2HeatedFlightSuit.JPG

Pretty amazing he survived, especially on a 737 with no main landing gear doors. Can’t imagine how unpleasant that would be in there.

The B-29 was pressurized, though to what amount of a normal atmosphere I do not know. The crew did not have to wear oxygen masks in normal flight.

The B-17, B-24, B-25 were not pressurized.
Right. The B-17 was the work horse heavy hitter for WWII. The late actor Charles Bronson was gunner in one of them.

There have been many more than that. Where did you read this statistic?
I thought the exact same thing kschachn. Seemed like way too small of a number.

I read this stat in the following story that quotes FAA with these numbers:

"The Federal Aviation Administration said 129 people have attempted to stow away in the landing gear compartments or other areas of commercial aircraft worldwide since 1947.

Only 29 have survived, with 100 dying of injuries or exposure."

Would love to know the details about how he managed to get into the secured area, and at exactly what point in the plane's layover he was able to climb up there and not be seen, even by the pilot's / F.O.'s pre-flight check. Not getting a very warm feeling about Guatemala City's airport security.

A LOT of years ago, I worked at UA as a bag-buster (AKA: Ramp Serviceman). Occasionally I'd look up into the wheel well area of multiple aircraft types thinking: "Humm...If I were to try to stowaway up in here, how and where would I sit". Every single time, I walked away shaking my head muttering "Nope"! I can't imagine the sound and furry of hanging on up there at takeoff climbing out at 130 knots wondering where all those giant steel parts are going to go when they retract the gear.

AA flight #1182 just arrived at Miami. Came from Guatemala City. A male stowaway was discovered alive in the landing gear.

View attachment 79306
Just put your self in a wooden crate. Must be warmer in the cargo hold.

Back