A very small aviation adventure, Flight to Sun n Fun.

This year I flew the mighty thunder cardinal solo to SnF. As always it's a pleasant adventure. The arrival is fun, with ATC issuing rapid fire commands to weekend warriors. The requirement is pretty simple, 1200 feet, 100Kts. Yet the guy in front of me had his Bonanza at 65Kts! I can fly that slow, so no biggie. But that's way off... Anyway, we land and the taxi is full airport length. The Bonanza taxiway speed is way up there, prob about 50MPH. Hahahahaha some people...

Anyway watched the amazing F35 routine, and KC135/F16 refuel demo, looked like they did it for real at 10,000 and then simulated the refuel over airshow center.

The 45 minute flight home was a different matter, with localized righteous thunderstorms with hail building and moving fast. I try to be safe and avoid any real or perceived risk by never flying near any weather. I made it 40 miles to Avon park, FBO was closed and no fuel available, and relaxed there for a few hours, then another 45 miles to Okeechobee and slept for a few more hours. Purchased some extra fuel at a good price, and took off about midnight thirty for the last 40 miles of the trip. Landing on a very wet runway, and driving the F150 out of the airport.

The funny part was the airport road. I darn near hit a 7 foot alligator a half mile from the hangar. I was able to come to a stop about 3 feet from the stupid thing and it simply refused to move from the warm pavement. Sometimes the drive home carries the biggest risk.

Z2sbXn7.jpg

The Pipistril Panthera, now owned by the parent company of Cessna, Textron. I can't imagine this 200Kt beauty will be cheap when certified

Ee9W1Lw.jpg

I tried to take a pano picture to capture the crowded displays and aircraft, but it looks quite spaced apart. Really, it is a sea of planes and vendors, crammed closely. Stretching as far as I am physically able to walk.

ahcb4T7.jpg

Last edited:
Lakeland has a great airport. Hope you said hi to the F-14 on display there.

Sun N Fun is on my list of events to attend. Looks great!

We were there yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon for the show, visiting Florida for the last week, we drove over from Madeira Beach to see the fun. The two air race jets were great, but the crazy aerobatics the trick planes do at the apex of their climbs is insane. How do they have any control at a stall like that? It was very hot on the ground for northerners like us. Will post some pics of the MIG flyby when I get a chance.

That’s actually a -15, -17 or a -19. Can’t tell which. Maybe @Astro14 can.
That’s a 15 or 17. Not much difference between the two. Can’t tell with that photo angle and resolution.

The -23 is very different. Variable geometry wings.

Incidentally, the F-14 is a “D” model. A re-engined and upgraded airplane that was built as an “A” model. It’s also been painted since I was last in Lakeland. Sure looks pretty. We could never keep them that clean while they were in service.

Last edited:
My friend from Louisiana wants to know how you cooked that alligator and "What it taste like?"

Thanks for this post. It's always good to look at past warbirds.

That’s a 15 or 17. Not much difference between the two. Can’t tell with that photo angle and resolution.

The -23 is very different. Variable geometry wings.

Incidentally, the F-14 is a “D” model. A re-engined and upgraded airplane that was built as an “A” model. It’s also been painted since I was last in Lakeland. Sure looks pretty. We could never keep them that clean while they were in service.
Weird. They announced it as a MIG-23. Maybe I have the wrong picture. He made a couple of passes on Wednesday afternoon and was announced as a MIG-23 each time. Odd. I wouldn't know one from the other.

Weird. They announced it as a MIG-23. Maybe I have the wrong picture. He made a couple of passes on Wednesday afternoon and was announced as a MIG-23 each time. Odd. I wouldn't know one from the other.

Those are all MiG-23 pictures. Definitely a Flogger in those photos.

But the airborne one is a different airplane.

The Flogger has a sharp nose, side mounted intakes, a strake leading up to the vertical fin, low mounted horizontal stabilizers, sawtooth leading edge on the wing. Variable geometry wing that is mounted high on the fuselage. No stores on the wing, the pylons are in the shoulder of the wing pivot area.

In the airborne photo, no side intakes, the nose is the intake, that’s why it’s flat. The fin is simple. The horizontal elevators are minted on the fin. The leading edge of the wing is smooth, it is mid fuselage and has drop tanks.

A -15 or -17.

Those are all MiG-23 pictures. Definitely a Flogger in those photos.

But the airborne one is a different airplane.

The Flogger has a sharp nose, side mounted intakes, a strake leading up to the vertical fin, low mounted horizontal stabilizers, sawtooth leading edge on the wing. Variable geometry wing that is mounted high on the fuselage. No stores on the wing, the pylons are in the shoulder of the wing pivot area.

In the airborne photo, no side intakes, the nose is the intake, that’s why it’s flat. The fin is simple. The horizontal elevators are minted on the fin. The leading edge of the wing is smooth, it is mid fuselage and has drop tanks.

A -15 or -17.
Yup. Definitely different plane.

Hahahaha, if you stop this video at 2:14 and watch to 2:16 you will see my plane (the mighty thunder Cardinal) on the taxiway waiting for the Mig to finish his 15 minute routine. He deployed the 'chute right in front of me and that was quite a treat to see up close.

As you might imagine, the Cardinal is just as powerful and fast as the Mig.... But the Cardinal uses a slightly different method of climb, namely, the Earth's curvature. I simply remain level and the Earth finally, after a few hundred miles, starts to drop away...

Hahahaha, if you stop this video at 2:14 and watch to 2:16 you will see my plane (the mighty thunder Cardinal) on the taxiway waiting for the Mig to finish his 15 minute routine. He deployed the 'chute right in front of me and that was quite a treat to see up close.

As you might imagine, the Cardinal is just as powerful and fast as the Mig.... But the Cardinal uses a slightly different method of climb, namely, the Earth's curvature. I simply remain level and the Earth finally, after a few hundred miles, starts to drop away...
I saw the Mighty Thunder Cardinal along with a few others waiting while the MIG flew. Was wondering how patient everyone would be.

I like the description of your method of climbing. I had a 65 horsepower Luscombe back in the day. Metal wings. Climb consisted of just clearing the fence, under the wires and find every low spot around the departure airport for three miles. I think 200 fpm was normal. When I finally got another plane, 1200 fpm was like a hotrod!

I will have to borrow your description of climbing..

I like the description of your method of climbing. I had a 65 horsepower Luscombe back in the day. Metal wings. Climb consisted of just clearing the fence, under the wires and find every low spot around the departure airport for three miles. I think 200 fpm was normal. When I finally got another plane, 1200 fpm was like a hotrod!

I will have to borrow your description of climbing..
I also liked @Cujet's description.

I was quite a spaceflight nerd as a young teen (and pretty much still am) and remember having an "aha" moment reading a description of achieving earth orbit.

The author described throwing a stone harder and harder, and it going successively farther with each increase in force. At some point, the velocity is great enough that the surface of the Earth curves away at the same rate the stone falls toward the surface. At that point the stone has achieved orbit.

That is a neat description of orbit. I am always amazed by the smart folks who can calculate how to get to a certain point in space. I would be lost in space..
Agreed, the first manned flight to the moon, Apollo 8, was just over 55 years ago. They achieved Earth orbit, then relit the Saturn V's 3rd stage at the right time and for the right duration so as to achieve escape velocity and be pointed not at the moon but at where the moon would be several days later. Then they burned the Service Module's engine to drop into lunar orbit, and later to break out of lunar orbit to return to Earth. 😳

NASA had also pretty much mastered orbital rendezvous three years earlier with Gemini 6 and 7.

Amazing to think so much of the calculating was done with slide rules (which are only good to three significant figures).

Back